Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 05:27 AM

101 posts, read 359,061 times

Advertisements

I loved dallas when I was there higher wages lower cost of living, now I earn more in FT. Myers than in central florida, but it is still exspensive to live here, rent and homes are cheaper in SWF than central fl. but the DFW was still the best, utilities, rent,food,homes where cheaper than any where in fl, and plenty of work, and plenty to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 09:52 AM

2 posts, read 5,535 times
Hello, I am thinking about moving to fort myers,FL. I am a nurse, and was offered a job there. I have three young children. Is this a good place to raise a family?

Old 11-20-2010, 09:57 AM

616 posts, read 1,564,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylordfocker5 View Post
Hello, I am thinking about moving to fort myers,FL. I am a nurse, and was offered a job there. I have three young children. Is this a good place to raise a family?
Check out the FAQ sticky and then post any specific question you may have.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:34 AM

2 posts, read 5,535 times
FAQ Sticky?

Old 11-20-2010, 12:36 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,534,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylordfocker5 View Post
FAQ Sticky?
At the top of the Ft. Myers forum you will see a thread with FAQ about the area. It will be helpful.

Frank

Old 08-28-2011, 09:52 AM

8 posts, read 24,865 times
Default Living in Fort Myers area

I moved here in 2009 when the economy was basically bottomed out! I'm retired but my wife still has 5-6 years to go. She has had absolutly NO PROBLEMS what-so-ever finding employment! People who want to work will find work!
I was employed in the construction industry for over 35 years following the work and living in many different areas of the country from upstate New York, Seattle, Missoula, Raleigh just to mention a few! Went through many eras of economic downturns including the 70's when they ratuioned gasoline. I have never been out of work in my life! I also grew up on a farm where we never ran out of work..............something every human being should have instilled upon them!!! Too many people looking for a FREE RIDE!
Getting back to Fort Myers area, I live out in Lehigh Acres which has a bit more of the country feel than right in Fort Myers. While Fort Myers is not Seattle as far as quality of life, it is a very pleasant area with just about all the amentities one could wish for.
As for rude people, they are everywhere you go! We live in that era of "it's all about me" and rudeness is a by product of the attitude! Most folks here are fairly friendly but keep in mind it is a "melting pot" so there are folks from all over living here. Some tend to bring that "BIG CITY" attitude along with them as well. Bottom line, you are going to encounter it everywhere you go so I wouldn't let that be a significant criteria!!
Wages are lower than up north but you don't have state income taxes so that kind of off sets the variance. Also keep in mind, employers are pursuing their Bildeberg Master Plan and in doing so are lowering wages and taking away benefits and perks! At some point, the issue is going to blow back into their faces as it always does!
The weather here is generally beautiful.............probably why they refer to it as the sunshine state! We have our rainy season but it is generally thunderstroms in the afternoon and evenings from the heat during the day. It is a hot humid climate from May to October, no doubt about that. Winters are seasonably warm however we do get the occassional freezes.
Overall, it beats shoveling 35" snow storms!
If I had to pick one place I have lived that tops the charts I would have to say Seattle, WA! The myth about the rainy days is just that. You get about two months...........December to the beginning or mid February that you have rainy days but not as you would expect a rainy day. It is more of a mist which working outdoors takes all day to actually get wet! It is a beautiful clean area with the Olympic Mountain Range to the west and the Great Divide to the east. The Puget Sound area doesn't normally get snow due to the pacific currents however, it does happen on occassion. You also get the occassional earth quake. Overall, it is a great area, plenty of opportunity as far as employment, night life, museums, malls, the piers, ferries, skiing, Lake Washington, and the list is endless! A bit more expensive to live than Fort Myers however, wages are much higher, no state income taxes, and most employers in the state offer healthcare benefits. I would definitly consider going back if I leave Florida.
Missoula, MT..............nice senery, not much more! Very expensive due to Whitefish Lake and the Bitteroot areas that are full of millionaires and billionaires which drive cost out of site. Employment is extremly limited in the area, wages are not good due to the abundance of college students, overall survival cost (housing, food etc) very expensive. On a scale of 0-10 I give it a minus 10! Not much snow due to the "banana belt" right in the Missoula area. Outside of the Banana Belt can be horrific winters. If you are a "roughneck" there are plenty of opportunities right now in the easter side of Montana on the oil rigs!
Raleigh, NC is great for people with significant education.....masters, doctorates, etc. Blue collar has been surviving on the housing boom but now that it's pretty much over there really isn't a significant blue collar arena. Nice area, hot in summer and cold winters, high cost of living although taxes are not bad. Could be a possibility?????
Upstate New York..............used to be a great area when I was growing up there but the corruption in politics has pretty much destroyed everything. Albany area does fairly well, Hudson Valley has become a bedroom community for NYC, and living in NYC or even working there is not an option for me! I was born in the Hudson Valley and later we moved north to the Mohawk Valley as the big apple endured mass exodus! Talk about RUDE people, they top the chart!! I would give the area a BIG MINUS 10!!! LOTS OF SNOW!!!
I chose the Fort Myers area because of the home purchasing opportunities at the time. It's close proximity to Naples also keeps the area going. Naples is a more affluent community with a LOT OF MONEY!!! I resided in Lake Mary for a while which is east of Orlando, close to Daytona Beach, Nice area, plenty of employment opportunities, commutes to Tampa, Cape Canaveral, Daytona, even Jacksonville are within reason. The Disney theme just gets a little over whelming after a while and of course .............the traffic it constitutes! I prefer the Fort Myers area. The Fort Myers area does see a significant increase in traffic from November 1st until at least April and maybe May if northern winters were harsh! My wife lived in Miami back in the late 60's early 70's............wasn't bad back then but it wouldn't be a consideration now! Lots of crime and a whole host of other negative issues going on over there. I also have friends in Destin, Fl which is west in the penninsula area............very beautiful area, upscale, opportunities for the medical/healthcare folks.

Last edited by Shuckapeafarms; 08-28-2011 at 10:10 AM..

Old 08-28-2011, 11:05 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckapeafarms View Post
Too many people looking for a FREE RIDE!
Getting back to Fort Myers area, I live out in Lehigh Acres which has a bit more of the country feel than right in Fort Myers.

A little bit redneck. A little bit ghetto. Scary place.

Quote:
As for rude people, they are everywhere you go!
Not true. It's sad that some people believe that.

Quote:
I resided in Lake Mary for a while
Really? And then you moved to Lehigh? Talk about night and day.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:48 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,874,458 times
I hear so many complaints about rude people........I must be missing something.In my 5 years on the Cape,I can count incidents on one hand where someone was rude to me.I find most people very polite and helpful.Store clerks often call customers "honey" or "sweetie" and although there are lots of inattentive and clutzie drivers,I've never had a road rage incident or and angry confrontation in traffic.Strangers are always glad to help with directions......when walking or biking,most people nod,smile or say hello.Often,in restaurants,we'll ask people who have been served for a tip on what;'s good....and they always steer you right.
Most business' will do anything to attract and keep customers......even got a call back from my marine mechanic to make sure that the boats was ok after he'd done some work on it.
Sorry.......all you people who think people in SW Fla are rude.I think the opposite is true.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:31 PM

4 posts, read 6,168 times
leave Florida; i KNOW I LIVE HERE AND HATE IT. But if you set on Florida, then try Miami. However, you must speak and read Spanish. otherwise try Austin, Dallas, Phoenix and Charleston. beautiful places to live with lots to do.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:08 PM

964 posts, read 2,064,391 times
Ditto. Sometimes certain people just nurture bad behavior in others. I can think of a few right on this board!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
I hear so many complaints about rude people........I must be missing something.In my 5 years on the Cape,I can count incidents on one hand where someone was rude to me.I find most people very polite and helpful.Store clerks often call customers "honey" or "sweetie" and although there are lots of inattentive and clutzie drivers,I've never had a road rage incident or and angry confrontation in traffic.Strangers are always glad to help with directions......when walking or biking,most people nod,smile or say hello.Often,in restaurants,we'll ask people who have been served for a tip on what;'s good....and they always steer you right.
Most business' will do anything to attract and keep customers......even got a call back from my marine mechanic to make sure that the boats was ok after he'd done some work on it.
Sorry.......all you people who think people in SW Fla are rude.I think the opposite is true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area