U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 06:18 PM

152 posts, read 417,067 times

Advertisements

In visiting the area a few weeks ago I was concerned about its future. Some areas support very nice homes yet just a few blocks away I see run down , multifamily homes. Is this a good place to move to now??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 06:49 PM

91 posts, read 315,329 times
Mmmmmmmm, sounds like alot of towns in Anywhere, USA. You have nice areas and not so nice areas anywhere you go. I have only lived in CC for about 2 years now. My lease is about up and I was considering a move closer to work in Bonita, but honestly, I love it here. The reason is that I have my doctors and shopping places that I go to, not to mention the restaurants and the "little" beach down at the Yacht Club. You can walk or ride your bike, if the neighborhood you live in has walk/bike paths marked out on the roads. I wouldn't recommend doing that on a main road for fear of being hit by a car. But best of all are the friends I've made here, good times! So life is good. Bonita is nice, but most everything is in a gated community and I am not really a townhouse/condo kind of person and the houses are too expensive, even in this market.
My daughter just finished school and being new, she made friends fast and nice kids, too.
Since I've been here, the market turned down and alot of buildings have been abandoned, foreclosures, etc. so you see some neglected areas now.
Like anywhere, you have to look where a "good" neighborhood may be. Down here, it could be different from one block to the next, in some cases, but I've been lucky enough to afford a nice house in a nice neighborhood. I hold off in buying because everything is up in the air, like job security HA HA HA. Maybe next year, we'll see how things go. I would rent first anyway, this way you can live here and really "feel" the area and see if it is right for you.
If you liked it here, and make or have made friends or have family here, then you can have a nice life here. If you are planning a move, you should have a job first, before you move down. Jobs are hard to get here right now. Housing is reasonable, and plenty to choose from, so that part shouldn't be too hard.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:20 AM

152 posts, read 417,067 times
I've been tracking a home in the beautiful 33914 area off of C.C. Blvd for the past few months but I'm not ready to move just yet. I work in healthcare so I expect jobs to be had in this area. I would like to take advantage of the low prices now and hopefully get some kind of rental income until I can move in or rent my present home and move to C.C. I'm looking at a possible 2 year window for this scenario. My dilema is:
1. Is there a rental market in C.C. ( I suspect it is very bad). I would be alright in Orlando for this though.
2. Are prices still in a free fall ( report on news this am is another 30% drop well into 2009). This applies to the states already taking the hits, i.e. Fl, Cali, Nev. So is it the right time to buy??
3. Will the area turn bad due to the lack of tax revenue and abandoned homes. (Ghost towns).
These concerns can really be applied to anytown also. I guess I just need a good crystal ball.
On a good note I found C.C. to be a very peaceful area and I love the canal system which really makes it special.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:15 PM

You're right, there is no crystal ball, LOL, but I did read somewhere that Ft Myers/Cape Coral is #1 in the country for Foreclosures. Just a couple of years ago, this area was the # 1 in the country for growth! One of the reasons for the "boom" here and now that the market has turned....

As far as rentals, there is just about as many rentals as there is for sale, so you won't have a problem. If you are considering buying a duplex and living in 1 side, that is a good idea, however, some areas where there are duplexes..and they seem to be built in designated areas scattered around town. Some are nice and some, not so. My family was thinking of doing the same thing, but in our case, since I live year round would be for me to live in one and my folks would come down for the winter. They will be down in November to check things out.

I agree, the canal system and infrastructure of the Cape is appealing, but I don't think this area will become a ghost town. Your field will definitely get you a job, healthcare is always looking for help and there are plenty of facilities down here.

Overall, my opinion is that even though there are many homes for sale, and new construction has essentially halted, there are still many people here paying taxes and the town has some time to catch up with finishing projects such as road paving and the like. With the boom, the town had a hard time keeping up with all the new construction. Where I live, the town has voted to postpone the city/water hookups and impacting the assessment fees, since where I am there are more vacant homes than homeowners, that's really the only thing I see. The vote just came in this week to make the one-way tolling permanent on the bridges, so that's good. They are still making enough money from that.

Like you, I am holding a wait and see as far as buying anything. BUT the really "good" deals to be had are moving quicker. These would be homes that are not in "short sale" and priced very reasonably and move-in condition with some incentives, too, depending on the seller.

I enjoy it here and will stick it out for as long as possible until the gas prices go up to a point where it wouldn't make sense to live here anymore. 30 miles each way, is tough on the budget these days I will be forced to move closer to work.

Good luck and keep checking in. It's good to research before making such a big move. It took me a year, before I made that choice, and it was worth it!

Old 06-26-2008, 06:09 PM

6,473 posts, read 14,367,699 times
Default Cape Coral Jobs

Hi jackie,

I just took a trip to Cape Coral/Fort Myers and Lovely Sanibel Island! I thought the area was very pretty, and as everything you said is true! We scoped out the good areas and saw the "bad" areas.

We actually got a hell-a funny shot of a convenience store on the way into Lehigh Acres. There was a HUGE display of bongs! My husband asked "What is that" and the guy behind the counter says "we just sell these tobacco pipes." It was hilarious. I say legalize it! But I digress. During our trip we drove all over Cape Coral and Fort Myers etc. We found a magnificent restaurant called Cin Cin!

This place is a restaurant that serves Mediterranean food. The seafood was so delicious! Besides the wonderful beach, that was the highlight of our trip. The decor is posh, but the staff is relaxed and professional.

Anyway, forgetting my stomach for a minute, I had one last question. What about jobs? Where do people who make more than $14 per hour work? Do you have to be a doctor?

Do people drive to work in Naples or other areas?

If so, are there any banks, hospitals, big companies there?

Thanks,

KT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie8689 View Post
You're right, there is no crystal ball, LOL, but I did read somewhere that Ft Myers/Cape Coral is #1 in the country for Foreclosures. Just a couple of years ago, this area was the # 1 in the country for growth! One of the reasons for the "boom" here and now that the market has turned....

As far as rentals, there is just about as many rentals as there is for sale, so you won't have a problem. If you are considering buying a duplex and living in 1 side, that is a good idea, however, some areas where there are duplexes..and they seem to be built in designated areas scattered around town. Some are nice and some, not so. My family was thinking of doing the same thing, but in our case, since I live year round would be for me to live in one and my folks would come down for the winter. They will be down in November to check things out.

I agree, the canal system and infrastructure of the Cape is appealing, but I don't think this area will become a ghost town. Your field will definitely get you a job, healthcare is always looking for help and there are plenty of facilities down here.

Overall, my opinion is that even though there are many homes for sale, and new construction has essentially halted, there are still many people here paying taxes and the town has some time to catch up with finishing projects such as road paving and the like. With the boom, the town had a hard time keeping up with all the new construction. Where I live, the town has voted to postpone the city/water hookups and impacting the assessment fees, since where I am there are more vacant homes than homeowners, that's really the only thing I see. The vote just came in this week to make the one-way tolling permanent on the bridges, so that's good. They are still making enough money from that.

Like you, I am holding a wait and see as far as buying anything. BUT the really "good" deals to be had are moving quicker. These would be homes that are not in "short sale" and priced very reasonably and move-in condition with some incentives, too, depending on the seller.

I enjoy it here and will stick it out for as long as possible until the gas prices go up to a point where it wouldn't make sense to live here anymore. 30 miles each way, is tough on the budget these days I will be forced to move closer to work.

Good luck and keep checking in. It's good to research before making such a big move. It took me a year, before I made that choice, and it was worth it!

Old 06-27-2008, 11:22 AM

3,636 posts, read 8,747,268 times
I would live in Cape Coral over ANY area around here, with the exception of a few areas in SOUTH Fort Myers which are nice.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:11 AM

What about jobs? Where do people who make more than $14 per hour work? Do you have to be a doctor?

Do people drive to work in Naples or other areas?

If so, are there any banks, hospitals, big companies there?

Hi KT

I would say good jobs are hard to find, in that, although I haven't seen companies close doors and get out of dodge, they are not hiring right now, either. The problem is not only the economy, but the competition for people that already live here and people trying to move down are looking for those same jobs that may become available, so there are quite alot of people applying for a limited amount of jobs. Mostly, though, there really aren't any good jobs, with the exception of the medical field. Right now we are off season, so even hospitality jobs and restaurants aren't hiring much either.

There are many banks and hospitals here. There are bank branches practically on every corner and the hospitals with satelite affiliate offices scattered around. Big buisiness, not sure about that. The only big business that was booming here was real estate companies and developers and they pretty much are rolling up the carpets and going away. Some are hanging tough, though, but not hiring, really.

From here in CC, I drive to Bonita Springs which is only 1 town north of Naples and there are alot of folks who work at the same company I do that do the same. Even with gas prices, people will travel to where the job is.
Geez, I re-read myself and what a bleak picture, sorry about that.

The only good thing is that the food choices are great here and ofcourse the beaches which is why we live here, LOL.

All I can say is if you are thinking of moving here, research, research, research.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:48 AM

553 posts, read 1,792,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoFLigo View Post
I would live in Cape Coral over ANY area around here, with the exception of a few areas in SOUTH Fort Myers which are nice.
huh ????????????????????????

Old 06-29-2008, 07:49 AM

553 posts, read 1,792,001 times
Just remember life is like a box of chocolates , you never know what your gonna get.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:26 AM

25,449 posts, read 10,632,907 times
Cape Coral's biggest problem spots- Northeast & Northwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area