Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 07:14 AM

172 posts, read 945,521 times

Advertisements

Downtown Fort Myers is perfectly safe, especially during the daytime. It's the hub of county government so it's actually kind of busy and most of the people milling about are government employees. It might actually be the antithesis of unsafe considering there's a ton of cops too, since they tend to take their lunches at the same restaurants downtown as everyone else. I see this every day since I do work and live downtown and I spend quite a bit of time walking around.

Unfortunately, downtown Fort Myers is suffering due (partly) to this road construction so quite a few businesses have shut down. Downtown Cape does have more shops and restaurants/bars and is pretty nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 06:02 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,767,798 times
Is this why a police officer was shot and killed last night?? Ya, I think it's great in downtown FM...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper View Post
Downtown Fort Myers is perfectly safe, especially during the daytime. It's the hub of county government so it's actually kind of busy and most of the people milling about are government employees. It might actually be the antithesis of unsafe considering there's a ton of cops too, since they tend to take their lunches at the same restaurants downtown as everyone else. I see this every day since I do work and live downtown and I spend quite a bit of time walking around.

Unfortunately, downtown Fort Myers is suffering due (partly) to this road construction so quite a few businesses have shut down. Downtown Cape does have more shops and restaurants/bars and is pretty nice.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:56 PM

25,449 posts, read 11,726,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoFLigo View Post
Is this why a police officer was shot and killed last night?? Ya, I think it's great in downtown FM...
Agreed.

Old 07-19-2008, 08:48 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,767,798 times
The high presence of police is stemming from the high presence of drug dealers, addicts, just plain scumbags at every corner, have you really taken a good look around the 1 mile radius of downtown FM... Come on.... I won't ever go back to the DMV there since some panhandler was following me around asking for $5 for his "diabetes meds", more like CRACK... Then proceded to look into parked cars until a police officer came to get him out of the lot.... When I came back out, he was sitting in the back of the patrol car with 3 more cops there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper View Post

Old 07-19-2008, 11:57 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoFLigo View Post
I just had to prove my point.... I'll take CC over FM downtown ANY DAY...

I would never want to be a cop. Not with todays crazies. I feel so bad for his wife and 3 kids.
We just had a cop killed near us in a city that has NEVER had one of its own killed.
Stopped the driver @ 1:30am due to sound system in the car being excessively loud.
Driver shot the PO 4 times in the head.
PO had a 3 month old daughter.

We are talking of a city that was named one of the Top 5 to live in NEOH.
Surburbia USA.

So sad.

I know POs get a bad rap & I've run across more than a few who have serious inferiority complexes, but it always seems the ones killed on the job where the ones doing the right thing.

It happens, even in the nicest of areas as we are seeing were we live

Old 07-22-2008, 09:32 AM

1,594 posts, read 5,281,032 times
OK everyone, back to the topic and no more personal attacks or I will be closing this thread.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:05 PM

937 posts, read 2,888,503 times
It's a whole different world from LI NY... you should rent first and see if you like the area.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:26 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
Default I'm from LI too

Quote:
Originally Posted by memoriesbre View Post
It's a whole different world from LI NY... you should rent first and see if you like the area.
I live in Naples, but have been to Ft. Myers many times. Yes, it's a whole different world from LI, especially when you are living and working (not retired) here and not just on vacation.

Actually, the entire state is nothing like LI NY, if for no other reason than LI was developed at the start FOR working familes (Levittown) coming back from WW2 and just spread eastward over the decades.

I won't go into weather since that is a given.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:39 PM

553 posts, read 1,934,369 times
You all would be surprised at how very different but very much the same LI and sw Fl are. people are people no matter where you live. I moved to the cape and have found alot of working class people, non retirees. LI has changed alot over the years it is not what it used to be.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:05 PM

7 posts, read 22,554 times
There are lots of nice areas in both Cape Coral and in Fort Myers. The waterfront lifestyle is definitely a draw and there are plenty of waterfront options in SE and SW Cape Coral as well as in the McGregor Boulevard corridor of Fort Myers. Prices are a bit lower in Cape Coral right now.

Last edited by faithfulFrank; 07-28-2008 at 09:23 PM.. Reason: advertising not allowed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area