U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 04:51 PM

8,521 posts, read 14,338,296 times

Advertisements

Great post. Nice and honest without all the "warm and fuzzy" BS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I could care less about beaches. In the entire 20 years I spent on LI while my kids were growing up, I went to the beach maybe 4 times! They played multiple sports year round and there wasn't the time to just hang out on a beach even if we wanted to. I only go now when my kids visit and that is because there is nothing else to do and you are SUPPOSED to go to the beach in Florida.

I have been to both shores here. I have been to California, Cape Cod, the Hamptons, the Caribbean, and even the Italian Riveria. The Caribbean water is the nicest, but nothing beats the scenery of the Italian Riveria!!!!Been there, done that.

We came here for a job. That is it. If the job had taken us to Alaska, that is where we would be today. The fact that it was Florida made no difference whatsoever. In fact, for me, year round hot weather and beach culture was a negative factor. I would have preferred somewhere else with 4 seasons and closer to my kids. Oh, how I miss Fall and Winter. I got very depressed last winter when it was in the 80s outside every single day.

My husband won a free trip at work. So, they talked about seeing Disney, going on a Cruise, or a stay in the Keys. I said no. They agreed to pay our expenses instead for a long Thanksgiving weekend in NY. I am very, very happy to be going home again!!!!!! Hopefully, I will make it back again in the winter in January or February! That certainly will help to break up the winter here and give me something to look forward to.

I hope someday I will be going back permanently.

Old 07-19-2008, 04:54 PM

8,521 posts, read 14,338,296 times
I know what you mean. I'm in Chicago(NYC's little sister) I feel the same way you do. If I ever leave Chicago, I'll be in NYC,London or Toronto. I love to vist the east coast whenever I can. Plenty of great food and culture!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I'm here a lot...

I'll be happy to go back to NY where I can get sushi for lunch. I'm in Naples right now and I went on a long search for sushi and couldn't find a single place open for lunch in the summer. Can't wait to go back to NYC where not only can I get good services year round, but I can get them late at night too lol

Old 07-25-2008, 12:30 PM

15,682 posts, read 32,413,392 times
I am surprised about the lack of sushi places there. We live in Lakeland and it seems like new (good!) sushi places open weekly. Even on our Chinese buffets (we have such a good one here, "Ling's!" it's really good! People here are really into the sushi.

And as for Publix - someone said it was "nasty" just because it was packaged - well, you couldn't be more wrong! Publix has a sushi chef that prepares it fresh daily, I have bought it several times, and while it may not be as good as the restaurants, it's halfway decent.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:47 PM
Status: "In my anti Corona hidey hole......." (set 6 hours ago)

5,411 posts, read 6,439,058 times
RANT ON!!!!!I absolutly love this forum, Nowhere else I've been have I seen so many GOOD opening posts degenerate into tangents like, how many Starbuck's are closing, and the quality of Publix's sushi.

I'm not saying that no one cares about the quality of Sushi, in SW Florida, or the other tangents that pop up from time to time(quite often, actually). The problem is these "tangents" are buried within other topics where the people that care, would never find the information. Dispensing information on the area, is what this forum is all about, no?
Not trying to beat anyone up, over it, just suggesting that ALL of us, on the forum, OPEN a new thread with the info. More people will SEE it, more people will READ it, there will be far more information CONTRIBUTED to it, and the original posts can remain FOCUSED on the ORIGINAL TOPIC far easier.
Bear in mind, I'm not a MODERATOR here, I'm not laying down any laws here. I'm just making a suggestion. I too, am guilty of which I speak of. Witness, this post itself.
Again, I REITERATE, there IS interest in the tangents we can all get lost in. But the information put forward, gets LOST if it is OFF TOPIC from the original post. If I were looking for sources of sushi, in SW Fl, would I use the search function to look for a thread titled, "Dont move to SW FL, Please"? Or something with a title that contained the word "Sushi"? Just thinking out loud here folks, feel free to beat on me if you care too....RANT OFF!!!!

Old 07-26-2008, 02:29 PM

5,642 posts, read 8,232,572 times
Default It is relevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
RANT ON!!!!!I absolutly love this forum, Nowhere else I've been have I seen so many GOOD opening posts degenerate into tangents like, how many Starbuck's are closing, and the quality of Publix's sushi.

I'm not saying that no one cares about the quality of Sushi, in SW Florida, or the other tangents that pop up from time to time(quite often, actually). The problem is these "tangents" are buried within other topics where the people that care, would never find the information. Dispensing information on the area, is what this forum is all about, no?
Not trying to beat anyone up, over it, just suggesting that ALL of us, on the forum, OPEN a new thread with the info. More people will SEE it, more people will READ it, there will be far more information CONTRIBUTED to it, and the original posts can remain FOCUSED on the ORIGINAL TOPIC far easier.
Bear in mind, I'm not a MODERATOR here, I'm not laying down any laws here. I'm just making a suggestion. I too, am guilty of which I speak of. Witness, this post itself.
Again, I REITERATE, there IS interest in the tangents we can all get lost in. But the information put forward, gets LOST if it is OFF TOPIC from the original post. If I were looking for sources of sushi, in SW Fl, would I use the search function to look for a thread titled, "Dont move to SW FL, Please"? Or something with a title that contained the word "Sushi"? Just thinking out loud here folks, feel free to beat on me if you care too....RANT OFF!!!!
in that if you move permanently, you have to be aware that a lot of things shut down in the SUMMER. At least in such as snowbird/tourist/seasonal place as Naples. You have to be prepared that this city at least doesn't cater to year round residents. Everybody here makes there money from November through March and if you live here year round, you are almost a second class citizen.

Old 07-27-2008, 03:25 PM

2,903 posts, read 11,230,676 times
Quote:

Well I'm back, (although in a bit of a zombie state), after a busy weekend having a son get married.

What (I think) Yachtcare is saying here is simply what the mods here try to keep in line.....please TRY to keep on topic. Many times someone, (including myself) might mention something in a post, and there is a reply to that post that kind of "branches out" to a different "sub-topic".

The common sense thing to do then is simply get back on topic, and be true to what the original poster has asked or discussed. If there is interest in that "new" "sub-topic", ALL would be better served if that "new" topic gets a thread of it's own.

This does two good things;
A) Keeps a topic on that topic.
B) allows more people to see and gain from that new topic.

While I don't encourage "Rants", I think the ideas that Yachtcare posted are good ones.

Frank D.

Old 07-27-2008, 04:56 PM

25,449 posts, read 10,624,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
Well I'm back, (although in a bit of a zombie state), after a busy weekend having a son get married.

What (I think) Yachtcare is saying here is simply what the mods here try to keep in line.....please TRY to keep on topic. Many times someone, (including myself) might mention something in a post, and there is a reply to that post that kind of "branches out" to a different "sub-topic".

The common sense thing to do then is simply get back on topic, and be true to what the original poster has asked or discussed. If there is interest in that "new" "sub-topic", ALL would be better served if that "new" topic gets a thread of it's own.

This does two good things;
A) Keeps a topic on that topic.
B) allows more people to see and gain from that new topic.

While I don't encourage "Rants", I think the ideas that Yachtcare posted are good ones.

Frank D.
Quote:

I have to agree. Keep on the topic, move this "sushi" talk and crap like that to a new topic on SW FL sub-forum titled "sushi", or close this thread. At this point, after a moderator has already deleted a few posts about "sushi" and the talk continued, I think I would close this thread. It's gone WHY off topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area