U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 07:38 AM

11 posts, read 58,555 times

Advertisements

I think that first, you need to decide if living in a tropical climate is what you want. Some people (and obviously, quite a few on this post) are just not cut out for the humidity and heat. I, on the other hand, am not cut out for anything under 80 degrees!! There are many, many things to do that don't cost any more than a short car ride to it. I would advise, if you haven't BEEN here and stayed for at least 2 weeks, don't make the move. Come see if this is really where you want to be. I never found it an issue and never looked to move back to anywhere else, so I think it is all a personal decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 07:51 AM

5,642 posts, read 8,243,245 times
Naples is HORRIBLE, unless you are a rich, retired, snowbird.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:51 AM

3,636 posts, read 8,748,332 times
Fort Myers is horrible because it has no jobs, terrible economy.. Lots of crime. Aweful schools...

Old 08-07-2008, 05:59 PM

25,449 posts, read 10,634,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Naples is HORRIBLE, unless you are a rich, retired, snowbird.
I wouldn't say Naples is horrible. I know it's $$ city, but the crime is low and it has a nice atmosphere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoFLigo View Post
Fort Myers is horrible because it has no jobs, terrible economy.. Lots of crime. Aweful schools...
I agree. Fort Myers, Immokalee, and Lehigh Acres come in on my top 3 "nasty" cities. Crime riddent, bad atmosphere, etc. I wouldn't live there if you payed me!

Old 08-10-2008, 07:34 PM

208 posts, read 551,949 times
Well I guess about the only thing SW Florida has in common with SE Michigan is that many of the snowbirds and year around residents are from there originally, or from other midwestern states. So you will run into many people from your home region. I lived there (Ft. Myers) for 6 months, (also I lived in Oviedo near Orlando). It wasn't my cup of tea, but for an older retired person, I think it would be a nice place.

Old 11-08-2008, 12:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,615 times
Cool Cape vs. Mich

Having lived in Blissfield, MI for 14 years and then in Cape Coral, FL since 1976...I miss the snow, Cedar Point, Traverse City, The Big House (if you don't know, move to OHIO), the Tigers, the Redwings, a river too dirty to swim in, and the small community atmosphere.

In Cape Coral I have settled for beaches, sunsets, clear water diving in the Keys, bikinis, Busch Gardens, Universal Studios, Discovery Cove, Wet-n-Wild, St. Augustine, better fishing, Red White & Boom on the 4th, dinner theaters, a not so family oriented community (too many transient and not permanent residents), and I almost forgot an amputee murdered just 6 houses away from me only 4 days ago. Yes, I am in the safe yacht club area. Actually the closest crime in alamost 30 years.

Would I trade it all? If I had work in the mountains of Franklin, NC or Sevierville, TN; in a heartbeat! But if Florida had mountains it would be the perfect place to live.

Old 11-08-2008, 01:14 PM

171 posts, read 572,638 times
Smile I surprised that no one mentioned that going to the

beach everyday is possible as long as you plan to just sit on the beach. It gets cool down here in SW Florida during the winter and the water is pretty cold for swimming. This is not the Caribbean!

Old 11-08-2008, 01:26 PM

5,642 posts, read 8,243,245 times
Default Not if you are from the NE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie View Post
beach everyday is possible as long as you plan to just sit on the beach. It gets cool down here in SW Florida during the winter and the water is pretty cold for swimming. This is not the Caribbean!
where the water temps (ocean) in June are probably in the high 60s. Even in the middle of summer they probably don't get much above the mid 70s. The air temps, also, will be in the mid 70s to low 80s, much like it is here in winter.

As an example, my older daughter came here for the first time in July. The air temps were in the mid 90s and the water temps were high 80s. She didn't like it at all and said it was like swimming in a hot tub. "Not refreshing at all", was what she said.

The people who come here from the North will be fine at the beach here in the winter.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:29 AM

331 posts, read 1,431,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCFLchuck1469 View Post
, and I almost forgot an amputee murdered just 6 houses away from me only 4 days ago.
A 71 year-old, life-long drug(cocaine, it appears) user&dealer, killed by three of his loyal customers

Old 11-15-2008, 12:00 PM

25,449 posts, read 10,634,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCFLchuck1469 View Post
In Cape Coral I have settled for beaches, sunsets, clear water diving in the Keys, bikinis, Busch Gardens, Universal Studios, Discovery Cove, Wet-n-Wild, St. Augustine, better fishing, Red White & Boom on the 4th, dinner theaters, a not so family oriented community (too many transient and not permanent residents), and I almost forgot an amputee murdered just 6 houses away from me only 4 days ago. Yes, I am in the safe yacht club area. Actually the closest crime in alamost 30 years.
Unfortunate as it is, stuff like that is going to happen. But, I believe that Cape Coral as a lot to offer, and crime doesn't happen very often.
I would still go Cape Coral and SW Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area