U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 01:00 PM

66 posts, read 195,508 times

Advertisements

As an ardant Ohio State Buckeye fan I would have to say Florida!!! But seriously, we moved from Columbus, Ohio to here and love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylt08 View Post
i have lived in southeast michigan all my life and i have questions??
first of all,want to move to cape coral area,but is it the right move? theres nothing to do in southeast michigan but you can go to chicago or up north on the weekend.what can you do in Florida besides going to the beach everyday??

anyone
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 02:05 AM

1,779 posts, read 3,567,102 times
Trust me SW Florida is much better. I used to live in Oakland County and then moved down to Ft. Myers. True SW Florida has problems but nothing near the magnitude of problems Michigan has. Trust me all the generic things like sun and beaches are great plus the roads are far, far better than the pathetic excuse that passes for roads in SE Michigan.

If your a Wings fan, the Everblades down here are a great hockey team with tickets far, far cheaper than the Wings.

The job market down here isn't great but....it's still better than MI. I'd say get out of MI while the getting's good...if the automakers go under, it'll be the Great(er) Depression in Michigan.

Old 11-25-2008, 04:47 PM

164 posts, read 346,144 times
Well being a newbie here ( north port ) I will give my first year opinion.

I hated the MI. winters I lived in Romulus for years & then Howell Brighton area.

The economy sucks in both places. There are fun things tod do both places. MI. seemed gloomy to me, fall was great but the winters last forever & then you get many humid days in the summer.

I love looking at the palm trees here & I swear the sunsets are awesome ( after a storm or any given night )

The rainy humid summer was a hard adjustment but in comparing the weather SWFL blows SE MI. away.

Its thanksgiving & I kinda miss that fall / winter get a cup of something warm & kick on the fireplace, but then I remember shoveling & scrapping ice off my windshield & that feeling fades.

We plan on eating our turkey dinner out on the Lanai in Nov ! Very cool. I will also be hanging Xmas lights in short sleeves also cool.

So my official vote is SWFL

Old 11-25-2008, 05:20 PM

5,642 posts, read 8,237,407 times
The bottom line is that the ONLY reason to move to Florida is because of the WEATHER. If weather is not a consideration, then there is absolutely no reason to move to Florida.

Very simple.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:10 PM

1,779 posts, read 3,567,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
The bottom line is that the ONLY reason to move to Florida is because of the WEATHER. If weather is not a consideration, then there is absolutely no reason to move to Florida.

Very simple.
FL has a lot more than just weather going for it when being compared to SE Michigan.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:09 AM

3 posts, read 8,013 times
There are many things to do here, but good luck not being completely broke if you are living here, and unable to do those things! This area makes a better vacation spot than living spot, especially if you have children. I am originally from northern Indiana, and desperately want to go back, but unfortunately, can't afford to at this moment. We have been down here 5 long years, my husband works himself to death just to hold onto a job. The schools are horrible, we have had problems with the public schools (my son was choked in school - for telling another boy to quit picking on a girl - in front of the teacher and all she did was seperate that child from the rest of them), so we then tried a charter school.. even worse! I have had to call several times to report the horrible things the teachers say to students in my sons classes!! Not to mention the schools aren't challenging enough for my children. As far as the weather, yeah, it's beautiful... but you may eventually grow tired of not having a change in seasons (we have), you have warm and hot.. that's it. This is overall not an ideal place to live, I want to return to small town Indiana.. lol.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:14 AM

25 posts, read 65,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebeach03 View Post
There are many things to do here, but good luck not being completely broke if you are living here, and unable to do those things! This area makes a better vacation spot than living spot, especially if you have children. I am originally from northern Indiana, and desperately want to go back, but unfortunately, can't afford to at this moment. We have been down here 5 long years, my husband works himself to death just to hold onto a job. The schools are horrible, we have had problems with the public schools (my son was choked in school - for telling another boy to quit picking on a girl - in front of the teacher and all she did was seperate that child from the rest of them), so we then tried a charter school.. even worse! I have had to call several times to report the horrible things the teachers say to students in my sons classes!! Not to mention the schools aren't challenging enough for my children. As far as the weather, yeah, it's beautiful... but you may eventually grow tired of not having a change in seasons (we have), you have warm and hot.. that's it. This is overall not an ideal place to live, I want to return to small town Indiana.. lol.

what kills me is the people on this site whining about how terrible it is in fl and they're still living there. i guess if they wait long enough, their kids will graduate from the crummy schools and they'll have one less thing to whine about.
c'mon, suck it up and move back up north...pleeeeease!!!

Old 12-02-2008, 10:55 AM

1,286 posts, read 2,681,935 times
i love it down here and i was raised in brighton, mi. so i know s.e. michigan. we had been coming down here for vacations since the early 80's my grandparents bought a condo on fort myers beach in 1983. it is still in the family.

i do miss michigan and all the people i grew up with. it is hard being away from what is familiar. even though i don't like it up there. its always cloudy and gloomy during the summer and still just as humid.

one thing we don't get down here us apple cider which i really do miss.

there is a lot to do here. the beach is one great thing. there is also the dog parks. up north the dog parks are usually empty and the dogs are very aggressive. down here, all dogs get along and you don't have to worry about anything. the open leash beach is the coolest thing down here IMO. i don't even have a dog and that is where i go, lol.

there is all kinds of concerts and events every weekend. from the sand castle contests to fighter jets doing an air show to the pirate or shrimp festivals, etc. there is so much going on every weekend. some people are just never satisfied or willing to do anything and it is their own demise.

people are nice and friendly down here, plus 80% of people you meet are from michigan, lol. police don't pull people over for speeding like they do in michigan, which is great.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:35 PM

25,449 posts, read 10,629,461 times
Michigan is like an armpit with deodorant!! I have a aunt in Michigan and she always has somebody at home, she is afraid that if she leaves her home unoccupied for any amount of time, that she'll come home and find that her home has nothing in it, that it has been ransacked. Now, I'm sure not ALL of Michigan is like that, but 3/4 of it probably is. That's most likely why all the car manufactures are up in Michigan. SW Florida is nothing like that. I still SW FL is your better choice.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:15 PM

1,023 posts, read 3,042,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
The fall which lasts about two - three weeks, or a good rain/snow after the trees change colors - which ever comes first is beautiful. And so is a nice ice storm until all the limbs fall off your tree, and strips the power lines off the poles - That looks great for a couple hours. We can trade the couple summer months of AC for the several months of expensive heating costs. I'll fish all year round in the harbor and gulf - you can sit on a bucket over the ice - and catch some nice sun fish. It is all a matter of perspective. I like golf, fishing, swimming - you like parkas, boots, snow shovels, long johns, and toating firewood. Its cool. ((just teasing to stir up a sharp response))).
I just had to chime in b/c I grew up in the snow belt of Ohio, and am now in FL. I don't think anyone is saying that FL weather is not nice, and they prefer snow storms that down power lines etc. What people are saying is that the change of season allows them to enjoy just that...a change. I hate the icy snow, but it comes for 4 months, and then the earth starts the springtime change. That is there for a couple months, and then the summer comes, then the fall with all it's wonderful smells, balmy days and chilly nights, beautiful leaves etc. It's good for the soul to watch the passing of time with the actual seasons. Bitter cold sucks, and heat so bad your a** sticks to the car seat, the bar seat, or any seat sucks just as bad. LOL. I know you were teasing, so I just had to comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area