Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 09:08 AM

13 posts, read 41,621 times

Advertisements

i have lived in southeast michigan all my life and i have questions??
first of all,want to move to cape coral area,but is it the right move? theres nothing to do in southeast michigan but you can go to chicago or up north on the weekend.what can you do in Florida besides going to the beach everyday??

anyone
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 09:45 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
You can go out to eat, go to the beach, go out to eat.... if you want a place where there is a lot to do, Orlando... But living there isn't that great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylt08 View Post
i have lived in southeast michigan all my life and i have questions??
first of all,want to move to cape coral area,but is it the right move? theres nothing to do in southeast michigan but you can go to chicago or up north on the weekend.what can you do in Florida besides going to the beach everyday??

anyone
thanks

Old 07-21-2008, 10:03 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,729,420 times
Hey Ray,
I came here from Warren, MI 17 years ago.......My first two years here were spent wishing I could get back to MI. I was too damned poor to be able to move back.
Then things kinda leveled out, and I made a decent living here. The funny thing about making a living here..you dont really have time to go hang out at the beach. I'm sure that what you do for "fun" in MI, when you have time on the weekends, or holidays are pretty similar to what you would do here, or anywhere else you end up at. Making a living, is making a living wherever you are.
I wanted to move from here this past spring...guess what...I'm too damned poor to be able to move away from this place. SW Florida is a prison of sorts, the footprints come in, but they dont go back out, until alot of $$$$ have been lost, or spent trying to get back out. Do you have a job lined up here? If not, consider CAREFULLY before moving here.
About going out to eat....there seems to be a lot of eateries going out of business around here. And many that arent out of business, seem to be closing down earlier in the evenings now. Was out last Friday night, TACO BELL was the only thing I could find where the kitchen hadnt closed at 9:30pm.
All that being said, If youre in MI, and dont have a job, you may as well come on down...at least you wont freeze to death on the beach when December rolls around.
Good luck with it...

Old 07-22-2008, 06:24 PM

282 posts, read 1,008,907 times
There are tons of things to do. Everything is just a couple hours away. On the weekends you can take a boat down to the keys or go to Orlando to the amusement parks. Drive over to the Atlantic side and check things out for the weekend. There are numerous things to do you just have to look for them. I live in Northern Indiana and have a house in Cape Coral. We are always doing something when we go down there. You could visit Sanibel Island everyday for a week and still not see and do everything it has to offer.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:29 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
There are plenty of things to do. There are a number of people here that have posted load of SWFL things you can do inexpensively - besides going to the beach. I bet if you start a thread - "what fun things can you do for not a lot of $$ in SWFL" you will get some good responses.

Hey in the winter time would you rather look at a frozen door lock on your car, crusty frosty snow on your windshield, or look at the hibiscus as you travel to the beach? Originally being from the Buffalo/Rochester area in WNY myself, I'd rather see the blue water, than cold gray ice.

Good luck!

Old 07-23-2008, 02:56 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Default I don't agree with that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
There are plenty of things to do. There are a number of people here that have posted load of SWFL things you can do inexpensively - besides going to the beach. I bet if you start a thread - "what fun things can you do for not a lot of $$ in SWFL" you will get some good responses.

Hey in the winter time would you rather look at a frozen door lock on your car, crusty frosty snow on your windshield, or look at the hibiscus as you travel to the beach? Originally being from the Buffalo/Rochester area in WNY myself, I'd rather see the blue water, than cold gray ice.

Good luck!
I am from downstate NY. Honestly, I am sick of looking at nothing BUT palm trees and hibiscus. Even the ultra sweet smell of them makes me sick. I would rather look at red, orange, gold leaves than blue water. Right now even the sight of icles hanging from tree limbs would be beautiful. I even find myself wondering what month it is. You cannot tell here. It's the same year round. Nothing ever changes. Boring, boring, boring.

If EVERYBODY liked what you described, there would be nobody left up North.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:39 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
Hey Ray,
I came here from Warren, MI 17 years ago.......My first two years here were spent wishing I could get back to MI. I was too damned poor to be able to move back.
Then things kinda leveled out, and I made a decent living here. The funny thing about making a living here..you dont really have time to go hang out at the beach. I'm sure that what you do for "fun" in MI, when you have time on the weekends, or holidays are pretty similar to what you would do here, or anywhere else you end up at. Making a living, is making a living wherever you are.
I wanted to move from here this past spring...guess what...I'm too damned poor to be able to move away from this place. SW Florida is a prison of sorts, the footprints come in, but they dont go back out, until alot of $$$$ have been lost, or spent trying to get back out. Do you have a job lined up here? If not, consider CAREFULLY before moving here.
About going out to eat....there seems to be a lot of eateries going out of business around here. And many that arent out of business, seem to be closing down earlier in the evenings now. Was out last Friday night, TACO BELL was the only thing I could find where the kitchen hadnt closed at 9:30pm.
All that being said, If youre in MI, and dont have a job, you may as well come on down...at least you wont freeze to death on the beach when December rolls around.
Good luck with it...
It's true! I spent nine years trying to get out of Florida. Longest years of my life and I can't get them back!

Snowbirds like it because they go down there for awhile and then go back up north when the summers become brutal. Unfortunately, your last line is very true. People that don't have much going on, like a job, end up in the warmer climes so that they don't have to freeze to death. Fugitives also prefer not to freeze to death, apparently.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:58 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,729,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
. I bet if you start a thread - "what fun things can you do for not a lot of $$ in SWFL" you will get some good responses.

Good luck!

Raylt08,
I grew up in SE Michigan...Let me try to put it in perspective for you...Warren, MI in 1973 had more to do than Cape Coral, and Fort Myers, and all of Lee County for that matter, does in 2008....nuff said?

Old 07-24-2008, 01:02 PM

937 posts, read 2,889,515 times
There are tons of people from Michigan in SW Florida. It all depends on what you like doing...

Old 07-24-2008, 04:37 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I am from downstate NY. Honestly, I am sick of looking at nothing BUT palm trees and hibiscus. Even the ultra sweet smell of them makes me sick. I would rather look at red, orange, gold leaves than blue water. Right now even the sight of icles hanging from tree limbs would be beautiful. I even find myself wondering what month it is. You cannot tell here. It's the same year round. Nothing ever changes. Boring, boring, boring.

If EVERYBODY liked what you described, there would be nobody left up North.
The fall which lasts about two - three weeks, or a good rain/snow after the trees change colors - which ever comes first is beautiful. And so is a nice ice storm until all the limbs fall off your tree, and strips the power lines off the poles - That looks great for a couple hours. We can trade the couple summer months of AC for the several months of expensive heating costs. I'll fish all year round in the harbor and gulf - you can sit on a bucket over the ice - and catch some nice sun fish. It is all a matter of perspective. I like golf, fishing, swimming - you like parkas, boots, snow shovels, long johns, and toating firewood. Its cool. ((just teasing to stir up a sharp response))).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area