U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 08:22 AM

3 posts, read 11,154 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

My boyfriend and I are considering moving to two areas in FL, the first being Clearwater, and the second is Fort Myers. I have heard a lot of good things about the Clearwater area but am a little hesitant about Fort Myers. We read on CNN last night that Fort Myers is number 8 on 'top job growth cities' is this true? Have you noticed an increase in job growth? I am currently in advertising/marketing and am hoping to land an account executive type role. I have a bachelor's degree. My boyfriend has a master's degree in Social Work and is hoping to land a job in that field. Also, we are pretty young, both 27, is Fort Myers a young crowd? Any info would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 08:40 AM

3,636 posts, read 8,748,332 times
Job growth? Here??? CNN is full of it. It's not good here at all. The Tampa/Clearwater area would be a better choice for you.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:17 PM
Status: "In my anti Corona hidey hole......." (set 13 days ago)

5,414 posts, read 6,450,204 times
[quote=pnutbutercup;4554469]

We read on CNN last night that Fort Myers is number 8 on 'top job growth cities' is this true? Have you noticed an increase in job growth? QUOTE]

Absolutely NOT true. I would go back and check the date on whatever article you read on CNN. I imagine it should be dated circa 2002. This is one of the top areas for foreclosures in the country. Businesses are tanking everyday. The Bennigan's that had been here for nearly a decade closed up without warning last month. It took until about two years ago to get our first Starbuck's in the area. Now half of them are to be closed up by the end of the year. Restaraunts that are still here, have greatly cut back on hours of operation, due to lack of business.
This is an area that is in full regression from it's peak that occured about 2005-06.
If we're #8 for job growth, heaven help the rest of the country!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-23-2008, 06:01 PM

22,564 posts, read 48,455,336 times
Holy crap! I was going to make some snide remarks directed at the original poster. Guess what? Forbes indeed says that Cape Coral is hot for jobs.

I always thought their lists were bogus, but this takes the cake. Somebody must have got a VERY big payoff.

Best And Worst Cities For Jobs - Forbes.com (http://www.forbes.com/leadership/2008/04/10/best-cities-jobs-lead-cx_kb_0410jobs.html - broken link)

Last edited by cmj_fla; 07-24-2008 at 05:59 PM.. Reason: Sentence removed for borderline personal attack

Old 07-24-2008, 04:42 AM

2,903 posts, read 11,243,598 times
[quote=yachtcare;4576091]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnutbutercup View Post

Starbuck's in the area. Now half of them are to be closed up by the end of the year.
Actually, it is only 600 of them..........less then 10% of them.

Frank D.

Old 07-24-2008, 05:27 AM

3,636 posts, read 8,748,332 times
Holy double crap! That Forbes writeup is seriously a BIG pile of you know what... It's not good here, everything is closing, or as Yachtcare says, they are closing early due to poor sales. My stepfathers restaurant went from 10PM closing, to 9PM, now we go home at 8PM most of the time, heck I have gone home at 7 a few times...

Forbes must have wrote that one up in January..2007!!! Even then it was starting to crumble. NEVER go by some magazine that is probably paid to say this to get people here because it's not good here(I agree with you Hiknapster, as I always do... Someone was paid off). CNN is wrong too, WAY wrong.

Anyone who thinks because they have a degree will slip right into the perfect job here is sorely mistaken. There are so many people out of, and looking for work. A lot of competition, unlike 4 years ago where you had to choose which job to accept. If you have a job right now in those careers you talk about(to the original OP). Keep them!!! Wait until the economy here is better, if that ever happens...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Holy crap! I was going to make some snide remarks directed at the original poster. I figured they were kidding or incredibly stupid, bachelors degree or not. Guess what? Forbes indeed says that Cape Coral is hot for jobs.

I always thought their lists were bogus, but this takes the cake. Somebody must have got a VERY big payoff.

Best And Worst Cities For Jobs - Forbes.com (http://www.forbes.com/leadership/2008/04/10/best-cities-jobs-lead-cx_kb_0410jobs.html - broken link)

Old 07-24-2008, 07:59 AM

3 posts, read 11,154 times
Hey, so thanks for all those who posted. I wasn't expecting to just move down there and find a 'perfect job', that's why I started this thread. The article I read on CNN was posted July 22, 2008, so give me a break, how was I supposed to know...I don't live down there that's why I asked.

Last edited by cmj_fla; 07-24-2008 at 05:58 PM.. Reason: Removed problematic sentence

Old 07-24-2008, 08:39 AM

[quote=faithfulFrank;4581335]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post

Actually, it is only 600 of them..........less then 10% of them.

Frank D.
faithful, I was speaking in reference to those located in SW Florida, not nationwide, just to clarify.

pnut, I dont think anyone is trying to give YOU any attitude. I think most are simply APPALLED and SHOCKED that anyone, be it Forbes, or CNN could characterize this area as being a "hot" job market. Things are rough everywhere,(based on us being in the top ten for job growth, they must be rougher than even I thought) where ever you go, I think research as to the job market in your field of expertise is important. So you are clearly, not an idiot.
There has been a somewhat clandestine, under the cover of soundbites, and news releases, campaign to make SW Fl look shinier than it really is going on for the past year or so. Driven by the local Chamber of Commerce(s) I pluralized that because it seems new "Chambers" are popping up every other month or so around here to extol the virtues of relocating here. Alot of $$$ being pumped into advertising. The tactics being used are much the same as those utilized by auto manufacturers, paying a publication to have one of theirs proclaimed as "car of the year". The prize ALWAYS goes to the highest bidder.(Or in this instance, the eigth higest bidder) I strongly suspect that is all that is happening here.
Alot of folks are lured here, by many different means, and once here, find they have become MAROONED here. Dont want to see that happen to anyone, much less the person like you, that had the foresight to ask in the first place. Good luck

Last edited by Compression; 07-24-2008 at 08:50 AM..

Old 07-24-2008, 09:00 AM

172 posts, read 884,403 times
Yachtcare,

2 Starbucks (not half) in the area are closing, the one by Publix off West First Street and another one in Fort Myers. They're also opening a new one in the Cape. They just oversaturated some areas with Starbucks. There doesn't need to be 2 of 'em within a half a mile of each other.

As for the OP, Clearwater is a younger crowd and you have a broader area to search for jobs (St. Pete and Tampa aren't TOO far away) while you really only have Fort Myers and Naples to look for a job in down here. Also, I think advertising account executive jobs may be few and far between down here so you'd have a tough time finding employment. Good luck with your search though!

Old 07-24-2008, 09:53 AM

OK, I'll clarify a bit more......Going to the Starbucks homepage, they list 21 stores in the Lee and Collier county areas, by my count.(Maybe I missed a couple, as I didnt really think I'd get into a pi$$in' match over it) There are articles, easily googleable(is that a word?)that state NINE stores are being closed in SW Fl. I apoligize to all, and especially the employees of the 1.5 store that isnt being shut down as I so erroneusly reported. Begging your pardon, please. Geeeeezzzzzzz...........Seems were awfully touchy over the whole Starbucks thing, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area