U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 06:53 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,207,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
I can understand that you would want to get away from the high cost of living in NY, but I'm not sure it would be much better for you in FL because $30.00/hour jobs for AC repair is not the norm.

I'd suggest sending out feelers for jobs in the states between NY and FL to get an idea of what pay and job availability would be in those states. Then I'd research COL costs in those states. After a bit of research you should be able to determine which locale would give you the most bang for the buck.

(You might find Pennsylvania, Ohio, Virginia, or Georgia would work better for you.) Best wishes!
Ohio has one of the highest unemployment rates in the entire country.
Country avg 6 something %, Ohio especially NE is 10%. I lived there over 50 years, and NC 2 years and SC 1 year. 1 out of 5 homes or close to it is in foreclosure....trust me heating and air in Ohio is not a good idea, the long established companies are having a difficult time.

A/C is best in NC and SC, I have a son who does it and he makes 6 figures. Of course it depends on how good of a tech one is....how many call backs, addtional licenses, NATE certified, etc., and if they are not only honest but a good salesman and the commission % paid on the sales. My son is listed as one of the 100 top techs in the entire country.

However there are many a/c guys that are not as licensed as my son is who make a fine living, somewhere between 50 and 70 thousand, and in NC or SC with our low cost of living you can do very well on that salary.

I'd check those 2 states. Go to careerbuilder dot com and put in Charlotte NC, and see if any a/c jobs pop up. Lots of commerical and residential HVAC companies there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 09:30 PM

375 posts, read 820,096 times
Default Other ideas

Hi there

You may wish to check out Greenville, SC - its economy seems to be doing well, and it's supposed to be a great place to raise a family. Its downtown was really cute as well and seemed pretty safe. Good Luck!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or