U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 06:45 PM

22,564 posts, read 48,403,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerdave View Post

Well I read in a CNN article a few years ago before the mall was started. Its not an indoor mall so the classification isn't the same. It is an outdoor mall. It's Coconut Point Mall with 1.2 Million sq ft retail. The outlet mall is Miromar and the other mall off Alico is Gulf Coast Town Center.

Simon Malls | More Choices — Coconut Point ® Gift Cards
Over 140 Top Designer and Brand Name Outlets!
Fact Sheet - Gulf Coast Town Center (http://www.gulfcoasttowncenter.com/shop/gulf.nsf/facts - broken link)
Coconut Point is the largest mall in southwest Florida. It is one of the largest in Florida.

Indoor or outdoor, it is not the largest mall in the country.

Never oversell a place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 07:54 PM

44 posts, read 232,941 times
brokerdave (and everyone else) thanks for the info....BrokerDave, i know about Fort Myers and Estero really well, I have vacationed there a lot and have always explored the area with the intention of moving there, so i am familiarized.
The malls you speak of are awesome--been to em all.
I just wondered if Sarasota was similar--in the shopping and new restaurats and buildings going up.
I really liked that Ft Myers area was booming with NEW construction everywhere and can you tell me if Sarasota is booming with the same kind of NEW construction?
thanks!

Old 08-22-2008, 07:30 AM

1,286 posts, read 2,681,363 times
sarasota and fort myers have about the same amount of growth for the last few years, but this area also had naples booming to. sarasota is nice. have you thought about spending a week there, to get to know the area?

Old 08-22-2008, 07:49 AM

15,682 posts, read 32,416,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyM. View Post
brokerdave (and everyone else) thanks for the info....BrokerDave, i know about Fort Myers and Estero really well, I have vacationed there a lot and have always explored the area with the intention of moving there, so i am familiarized.
The malls you speak of are awesome--been to em all.
I just wondered if Sarasota was similar--in the shopping and new restaurats and buildings going up.
I really liked that Ft Myers area was booming with NEW construction everywhere and can you tell me if Sarasota is booming with the same kind of NEW construction?
thanks!
Tony, you already got some good info re Ft. Myers, let me add a bit on Sarasota. As far as shopping, this place is fabulous. Check out this article on the new University Town Center currently being built on the northside of town (University Parkway) - it will be 1.9 million sq. feet - a beautiful lifestyle center built "green." Check out this article from 2006:

New Urban Observer - University Town Center Creates an Innovative Approach to Green Building (http://www.newurbanobserver.com/new-urban-news.php?id=226 - broken link)

Sarasota has lots of other great shopping as well. And FABULOUS restaurants in all price ranges all over the area. Ground breaking is also about to being on the "Proscenium" a huge project which will contain condos and a Waldorf Astoria Hotel, along with a huge performing arts center and world class spa. Check out the link:

http://www.theproscenium.com/components.html

Sarasota has the charming St. Armand's Circle, and beautiful beaches on Lido and Siesta. Longboat Key is miles and miles of extreme beauty. And Sarasota's downtown is has evolved into one of the most charming and lively little downtowns I've seen in Florida. Yet with all this, I don't find it that expensive at all. We just bought a beautiful little 1950's Florida rancher two blocks from Sarasota Bay for under $200,000. Can you tell I love this place?

You really need to come and spend a good week in the area, go ALL over town and see what you think. But my vote would be for Sarasota all the way.

Last edited by gypsychic; 08-22-2008 at 08:03 AM.. Reason: Added link

Old 08-22-2008, 01:47 PM

3,842 posts, read 9,587,778 times
If an outlet mall is needed to convince someone the area is the all that & then some....wow, that's all I got say.
Coconut Point is nice, but it's a MALL. That's it.
But, hey, more minimum wage jobs for the area so when the snowbirds come down they can shop at any store USA & eat at any restuarant USA...

I guess if one is looking to move to an area based on malls & restuarants, then it might be ok. Seems a little odd, but then again, we are talking FM.....

Old 08-29-2008, 07:33 AM

19 posts, read 46,029 times
sarasota by far the better area as fas opportunities if you work hard at it(although right now that cannot be said) the class of people seem to be there and the theatres and such beaches are pretty my doctor moved here from hurricane ravaged port charlotte and enjoys it so much he would rather make the drive of 47 miles back and forth he really enjoys all the amenities. my kids have really enjoyed it up here andwish they had only beeb brought up here

Old 08-29-2008, 05:02 PM

39 posts, read 101,313 times
I have to laugh and chuckle to myself.....I live in the woods of Maine and have lived in Cape Coral....I have traveled to many states.....Miromar Outlet and Gulf Coast are nice....but when I come down there....I do them both in one day......thats not big....we have bigger in Maine.....you need to get out more.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:21 PM

3,636 posts, read 8,740,771 times
I would rather go to Kittery Trading post in Maine. I LOVE going there. Actually anything from there on up to Kennebunk...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNLUV2TRVL View Post
I have to laugh and chuckle to myself.....I live in the woods of Maine and have lived in Cape Coral....I have traveled to many states.....Miromar Outlet and Gulf Coast are nice....but when I come down there....I do them both in one day......thats not big....we have bigger in Maine.....you need to get out more.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:22 PM

3,636 posts, read 8,740,771 times
Sarasota is a lot nicer than Fort Myers.....

Old 08-31-2008, 05:20 PM

22,564 posts, read 48,403,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoMA4good View Post
I would rather go to Kittery Trading post in Maine. I LOVE going there. Actually anything from there on up to Kennebunk...
Ah....Kennebunkport. Now THAT is class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area