U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 09:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,431 times

Advertisements

From my experience, moving to the SW Florida area would not be a good idea. There are hardly any jobs available, especially in the computer area. The prices for real estate may appear to be low but the reality is work is scarce and pay is low. Renting is a better option since most landlords are struggling and will take what they can and you will not be tied down to a property that may not sell quick enough and lose equity if things don't work out. We are currently living and working in New York to keep our properties from foreclosing a year now. If you do decide to move there make sure you have jobs there or have a lot saved up to see if things work out. Best of luck to you and your family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 02:53 AM

32 posts, read 118,955 times
As for your husband's line of work, Sony used to have a pretty large center out in Gateway (out by the airport), and I've known a couple hardware guys that have worked for them, and had nothing but good things to say. Just my .02

Old 10-15-2008, 07:40 AM

44 posts, read 232,939 times
the cape and fort myers are lifeless. little scenery. i suggest Sarasota because they have everything

Old 10-20-2008, 08:57 AM

42 posts, read 132,288 times
Default Cape Coral

Where's the best area in Cape Coral, Ft Myers area to buy if the criteria is:

Homes 300-400 K or less

"Southern" style or "keys-coastal" style

Good schools

Big participation of Halloween and Christmas

and very Americanized.....maybe still 80 % anglo - non hispanic.

Within a 30 minute drive to Florida Gulf Coast University

Old 10-22-2008, 09:06 PM

66 posts, read 195,404 times
As far as jobs go an experienced nurse will not have a problem getting a job. Your husband may need more time to get things going. Sarasota is okay, but the average age is higher and as I know many who live there that is how the community is. If you can live with that you will be fine, otherwise you will be bored. Compared to NY the cost of living would be less and you get to enjoy a much better climate in SW Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloren View Post
From my experience, moving to the SW Florida area would not be a good idea. There are hardly any jobs available, especially in the computer area. The prices for real estate may appear to be low but the reality is work is scarce and pay is low. Renting is a better option since most landlords are struggling and will take what they can and you will not be tied down to a property that may not sell quick enough and lose equity if things don't work out. We are currently living and working in New York to keep our properties from foreclosing a year now. If you do decide to move there make sure you have jobs there or have a lot saved up to see if things work out. Best of luck to you and your family.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:57 AM

35 posts, read 111,814 times
Cape Coral and Fort Myers area is a dump, do not, I repeat do not move to Florida, I moved hear six years ago from Chicago and it was a big mistake, crime is high and all this state caters to is half dead old people.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:24 PM

74 posts, read 248,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrnwriter View Post
Hello everyone-
I am moving to the cape coral / fort myers area soon- just not sure where.
I come from NY (Long Island)-and am weary of the pace, weather, cost of living etc.
I have a few questions: Is the san Carlos park area of FM decent?
what are the nice things about each area (CC vs. FM) that you can tell me about? what are the draw backs?
I am married with grown kids but still working as a nurse so I will most likely be able to get a job - my husband is a hardware computer technician and AV technician- what is his shot at getting work there?
Is cape coral a foreclosure "ghosttown"- someone told me that.........
We are really looking for a nice place to live, not too expensive as we can outright buy a house under 200K, and that I can actually know my neighbors..........what area would you suggest ? All opinions are welcome and would be appreciated.
Hi, I am moving from Boston to Florida this December, Take a look at Sarasota Area, more opportunities! I have checked FM before and I picked Sarasota, we're going to rent for one year and than decide where to buy a House!

Good Luck!

Old 02-04-2009, 05:31 PM

2 posts, read 17,025 times
how much are the houses in downtown ft myers per square foot?

Old 02-07-2009, 06:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,758 times
I too am interested in these areas but apt. living any suggestions about resonable nice places. I will need a 3b/2b I'm a senior single Mom with 2 special needs mildly 20-23 year old. Any help of suggestions would be so appreicated. Looking at about June or July
Thanks to all

Old 02-09-2009, 09:46 AM

1,023 posts, read 3,041,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark9989 View Post
Where's the best area in Cape Coral, Ft Myers area to buy if the criteria is:

Homes 300-400 K or less Anywhere you'll find this. I have a home for 299 that is huge with pool on 1/2 acre. Mediterranean style. DM me if you want more info

"Southern" style or "keys-coastal" style There are no areas where it's all key coastal style, but mediterranean, and key west style are pretty much in any neighborhood.

Good schools Schools down here are not ranked very high. However, my neighbors across the street moved to where I live b/c the best private schools were so close.

Big participation of Halloween and Christmas We have a good participation. Not sure what you are looking for though. Not at all like up north. You'll just have to keep an eye out when you are looking for kids. That will ensure more of a participation.

and very Americanized.....maybe still 80 % anglo - non hispanic. Hispanics are everywhere, but more clustered in North Ft Myers, parts of 33919, and far east like Lehigh Acres and East Naples. Ft Myers demo has it listed at 76% cauc. I have only caucasians on my street/neighborhood.
I didn't move to this home b/c of that, just happened that way. Lots of children in the neighborhood too.

Within a 30 minute drive to Florida Gulf Coast University
Most all of the area. It'll be harder during season as the traffic is unusually slow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area