U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 02:09 PM

33 posts, read 96,995 times

Advertisements

I currently live in SW Cape and like this area of CC (for CC). We live off of Chiquita and Veterans and location is very close to Pine Island Road, the Veterans bridge, and not too far from Del Prado or Cape Parkway. Between my husband & I we are at the airport 5-10 times/month. I plan on 45 minutes in case of traffic but usually only takes 35 minutes. We've not had problems with crime here.

We are moving out of CC because all the homes are the same and there's not many areas you can find a natural setting home. Most of the lots are similar in size (small). I don't want to discourage you, it just isn't the right area for us. We've lived here 5 years and love certain things about it (close to the islands by boat, nearby Pine Island boat ramp, shopping nearby, great weather) but want to settle in somewhere permanent that feels like home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 06:42 PM

66 posts, read 195,369 times
I live in NW Cape Coral. My husband and daughter moved here in July and I joined them in August. We are renting a great house on a quiet street and love it!

Here is what I think so far:
North - Quiet, have not experienced any crime, and it is about 50% built. My husband researched crime before we moved here, and the NW Cape has little crime, so I don't know what other posters are talking about. So, we have empty lots on both sides, but several close neighbors. It is peaceful. We live about 20 feet above sea level and about six miles inland (near the intersection of Chiquita and Diplomat) and have two barrier islands to protect us so storm surge is not a real big concern. We also are not low lying so I haven't seen flooding (even with the tropical storm). The negatives are it is a five minute drive to grocery or gas, and the well in the area requires some monthly maintenace from the water softner man (we could do it ourself if we wanted too). Almost all of the buildings are new and cement block. If you have kids requiring schooling, Lee County schools are great, especialy in Cape Coral. In the Western Cape (our zone) we had five middle schools to choose from and only one had a "C" or lower rating.

Driving through the south - Some nice areas, some more run down, especially around the duplexes and some parts closer to Fort Myers. Nothing terrible or scary, but just not as nice. Some more low-lying areas. Easier to get to Fort Myers, if that is important to you or if you have a job there. Outside of that I do not know why they are recommending the south.

Good luck with your search. My dad is one of those engineering dorks (I saw that with love) who research everything and is looking at buying in NW Cape. He is studying elevation charts, crime stats, and everything he can get his hands on. He started looking at all Fort MyersCape Coral Metro Area, including Lehigh Acres, Bonita, etc. He likes the Cape, and has narrowed his study down to the north Cape as a result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollibay View Post
Husband and I will be coming in October to househunt. We keep hearing to buy in the south Cape - not the north but am wondering why.

Can anyone explain this to us. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:16 PM

99 posts, read 82,244 times
Default Looks like we are moving to the Cape

Can you fish in those little lakes? Also I am a big gardener. Any gardeners?

Old 09-14-2008, 11:44 AM

I live in the far NW Cape. It is more remote, but very quiet. The only time I see police it is pulling over speeders. There are some foreclosure houses, but what I have noticed is more people looking at them and buying some. We decided to rent through Miloff Aubushon for a year before we bought. Here are their current rentals: Cape Coral Rental Homes - Annual and Long Term

We do not have crime issues, but I do have to drive 5-7 minutes to get grocery or gas, but that's okay. I don't necessarily want a gas station on each corner up here. We still have well water and septic tanks, but city council is voting on that and may just do the water. We pay about $50/month to treat the water (a slight sulfur smell) but most people just add the tablets themselves for much less. I love it up here and would not have picked other parts of the Cape because I like the peace and quiet. The Cape is generally good, crime is low, and schools are good. Our elevation is higher and we don't have flooding with the big rains or storm surge issues.

Old 09-14-2008, 03:48 PM

99 posts, read 82,244 times
Default We are going into escrow on house in Cape Coral

It is a repo that we will live in so doing our part to clear the market of them.
We almost bought in Fort Myers but I think this will be much better. Really nice homes around us.
We should be there in a couple months!

Old 09-14-2008, 06:26 PM

7 posts, read 23,371 times
north cape west of old burnt store,,,no crime at all, minor foreclosures quick access to gulf waters. SE crime and traffic, SW expensive oh yes crime in areas. NE stay away

Old 09-18-2008, 08:59 PM

Jaycough,

I live just east of Burnt Store by Diplomat and Chiquita. Very quiet, within a mile or two of where you mention, and I agree.

LovingCapeCoral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycough View Post
north cape west of old burnt store,,,no crime at all, minor foreclosures quick access to gulf waters. SE crime and traffic, SW expensive oh yes crime in areas. NE stay away

Old 09-19-2008, 09:49 AM

6,102 posts, read 13,402,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollibay View Post
Husband and I will be coming in October to househunt. We keep hearing to buy in the south Cape - not the north but am wondering why.

Can anyone explain this to us. Thanks in advance.
Just a little north of that is Punta Gorda, have you consided looking there? It is a lot like Cape Coral - a lot of canal front homes that have gulf access. Prices all over SWFL are deflated. Just a thought. . . .

Old 09-19-2008, 06:50 PM

3,633 posts, read 8,738,824 times
I live in SW Cape Coral, on Pelican Blvd. I know a police officer next door, and he says ANYTHING south of Veterans is boring... All the BS is in NE mostly. NW is pretty decent from what he said. The best area is right around here, the reason he bought his house here. He has 2 kids 9, and 6.

Quote:

Old 09-20-2008, 07:49 AM

25,449 posts, read 10,623,921 times
Quote:
Are you kidding me with this? SE and SW would be the part of Cape Coral that DOESN'T have much crime. NE- yes, NW- maybe not as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoMA4good View Post
I live in SW Cape Coral, on Pelican Blvd. I know a police officer next door, and he says ANYTHING south of Veterans is boring... All the BS is in NE mostly. NW is pretty decent from what he said. The best area is right around here, the reason he bought his house here. He has 2 kids 9, and 6.
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area