U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 02:31 PM

4 posts, read 18,808 times

Advertisements

Hey guys.

I've spent the last two days reading all sorts of info on Fort Myers in here... mostly negative.

I am (was?) considering a move from Miami to FM - and no, I am not one of those east coasters that will further contribute to the area's crime spike - but am feeling quite depressed with the report card I've been given.

I am a BIG Sanibel Island fan, and fishing fanatic in general, and would love nothing more than to be able to access it more frequently - $6 toll fee be damned.

However, I was looking for a newer (manufactured) development... and so I found Botanica by GL Homes. It seems to be located between Daniels and Colonial on Treeline Ave.

How good is the neighborhood immediately surrounding that community, and what specific areas around there should I be concerned about (I have read Lehigh??)? Does this area receive the thumbs up, or thumbs down overall?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 03:26 PM

Anyone?

Old 09-13-2008, 04:38 AM

18 posts, read 90,963 times
Default Great Area off Treeline

Good choice Botanica. My old landlord bought in there for his young family. My husband work off of treeline by the airport. Great Choice. In fact, I would buy there. It just keeps getting better in that area. They just opened a new plaza with Best Buy, Target off of colonial. How old are you? The reason why I ask, is that I just bought a computer at the Best Buy and the saleswoman (young) who waited on me said she just moved from Miami to a beautiful condo (heritage) and she thinks she made the worst mistake of her life. She quickly found out that there is nothing to do for young people and the sidewalks roll up at 10:00 p.m. here. If you are use to Miami for young people, you will be sadly disappointed. And she lives in a very upscale condo on a golf course. She said she is going to finish her lease and find another city to relocate to. she just hates it here.....I'm just saying..........

Old 09-13-2008, 04:46 AM

18 posts, read 90,963 times
Default Keep an eye on prices in Botanica

Oh, forgot, the word is that Botanica prices just keep plummetting. The people I know that bought in there, unfortunately bought in 2 years ago and will have to live there for 25 years to break even. They said they lost their shirts on the purchase as did everyone else who bought 2 years ago. But I noticed that the prices there keep going down. If you really, really love Sanibel, I would try closer to the McGregor - Iona area. We looked at some fabulous properties down there and you will love that area. Of course, you would be in a evac. zone, but I really think you should look down there. You are less than a mile from sanibel. We live down there now and just love it. Botanica is about 15 miles from Sanibel and what ever you do (sorry Lehigh) stay away from Lehigh! I don't even feel safe going to the local Pulix there anymore. It's part of my sales territory and my clients who live there are just so upset what has happened out there. I have 3 clients that went home for lunch in Lehigh, only to see robbers running out there back door. The police told them to buy a gun and get a big, bad dog because they can not keep up with the crime. If you decide on Botanica, you won't be disappointed. All the new shopping and restaurants are right down the street at GulfCoast Town Centre, along with the local college, the airport, etc. Good area.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:00 AM

66 posts, read 195,427 times
McGregorIona and Botanica both are nice. I jus moved to the Cape Coral area from Ohio and love it here. McGregor-Iona is much closer to Sannibel, but both communities are nice. Yes, people who bought two years ago anywhere in SW Florida are upset about the housing prices, and every area has spots with crime. We chose not to live in Lehigh or Fort Myers because we wanted low crime and the best part of Lee County Schools, but there are some very nice ares in other parts of Lee County, especially where you are looking and McGregor-Iona. If you want less than five minutes access to Sannibel look at McGregor-Iona.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:40 AM

7 posts, read 23,374 times
check out reflection isles..located on palamino. It is on west side of I-75. Better location same or better sf prices

Old 09-15-2008, 11:52 AM

Thanks guys!

I'm trying to be as cautious as possible in terms of crime - specially with a young family (1 and 2 year old). I would be coming from Miami, but being that I have lived there all my life, you just know which areas to stay clear of.

FM would be a whole new learning curve.

Curious.... is the Botanica development sold out of new homes, or are they still building/selling?

I will look into the McGregor area as well. However, I was hoping to find a brand new development, as opposed to an older home.

Thanks again!
Jose

Old 09-17-2008, 05:55 PM

66 posts, read 195,427 times
Jose,

McGregor-Iona seems to be mostly new when I drove past. I do not know about Botanica.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchy View Post
Thanks guys!

I'm trying to be as cautious as possible in terms of crime - specially with a young family (1 and 2 year old). I would be coming from Miami, but being that I have lived there all my life, you just know which areas to stay clear of.

Curious.... is the Botanica development sold out of new homes, or are they still building/selling?

I will look into the McGregor area as well. However, I was hoping to find a brand new development, as opposed to an older home.

Thanks again!
Jose

Old 09-20-2008, 08:56 AM

4 posts, read 11,658 times
Default Gl homes - botanica lakes

This is a great area just east of I-75. You might also want to look at Olympia Pointe which still gives you a controlled access (gated) community. Olympia Pointe is less expensive and still has homesites available. All of the communities in this area are less than 5 years old with the exception of Pelican Preserve Golf and Country Club. You have a brand new elementary school next door to Botanica and a brand new shopping center at the Colonial Blvd. exit to I-75. Good luck.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:41 AM

99 posts, read 386,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itchy View Post
Thanks guys!

Thanks again!
Jose
They are still building new homes in Botanica as we speak. I live in the development across the way (Plantation at Bridgetown). The brand new school is beautiful, the staff energetic and attentive. They are coming from a temporary location in Lehigh so there will be growing pains for another year or two, but much more so for the older grades than K-2, I'd think.

The location is extremely beautiful and very convenient overall. Living closer to Sanibel will have its' trade-offs. We're pretty new to the area (purchased 1 yr ago - and btw, the price to build an identical home to ours is UP, based on a recent appraisal we had done) so I cannot comment about the price difference location to location. I will say at a minimum your insurance will likely be substantially higher the further west you are. Botanica is east of 75; west is higher, west of 41 higher again (insurance wise). We originally wanted to be closer to the water, but opted to drive longer in exchange for less risk (storm & flood etc).

As to the OP that commented on the person living on a golf course, well, DUH. Snowbirds tend to live on golf courses - if you want a better family-friendly environment do yourself a favor and don't choose a golf-oriented gated community. Our situation is a little out of the norm in that while we are older (DH is retired, I'm "undecided" ), we are raising a grandchild (now 5 yrs old). We wanted a family-friendly location. While I preferred Estero as a community, DH absolutely loved this home and the area is lovely as well. I also prefer this development over StoneyBrook and Bella Terra, although those two developments had more kids (but Plantation is also newer and less developed/sold so far).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area