U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 12:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,607 times

Advertisements

Hi, Myself, My fiance and our 10 year old son are thinking of moving to the Ft. Myers area (or somewhere nearby). I have done lots of research, heard the good and the bad, but I can really use someone's personal opinion. My fiance owns his own Roofing/General Contracting business that is doing very well here in NY but with the winter fast approaching that means NO work here in NY. We are thinking of relocating to the Ft Myers area for work. Is there a need for roofers? We thought there would be considering the damages cause by the hurricanes recently. Also I keep hearing that Ft. Myers has a high crime rate, but is it really that bad, or just depending on what area you live in? Is it a good place to raise a family? I have always wanted to leave NY (I HATE SNOW) and we are hoping that we can continue the business in FL as well. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated, and I thank you all in advance for your help.

-Cold in NY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 08:02 PM
Status: "In my anti Corona hidey hole......." (set 9 days ago)

5,413 posts, read 6,448,085 times
No roof damaging hurricanes in the Ft Myers area in about three years. Most of the roofs around these parts are three to four years old. I wouldnt say there isnt any work at all, but certainly no bonanza, or mother lode of roofing work. If youre looking for that, I'd suggest the Houston, TX area, like RIGHT NOW!

Old 09-14-2008, 05:14 AM

18 posts, read 91,019 times
Default No construction jobs

All construction jobs are non existent (my husband is in construction) All roofers, except those that have been around for years have left. Very strict also who they allow licenses here to roof. Absolutely, no roofing companies are doing well. All damaged roofs were replaced with new roofs after Charlie. Dozens of roofing companies have packed up and left, which also contributed to the bad job market here. I would never move down here for a construction job. My husband is still working, but they have layed off everyone but him and he is doing 3 other peoples worked. I am in construction also, and we have 4 trucks sitting in the garage that we had to lay off the installers. We are looking up north to live. NC, TN SC TX even OH is better than this. We are desperately trying to get out of here. We were in the Cape yesterday, delivering a dining set that we sold to a very elderly widower New Yorker who has only been here 4 weeks. Hundreds and hundreds of rentals available for $650 a month. He is RETIRED and decided after his wife died to try Cape for 1 year (renting) and go fishing every day. If you can do that, you will love the area. If you have to work, forget about it. As previous poster cited go at once to Houston! In fact, my elderly parents retired to Naples 10 years ago, and HATE it. HATE the traffic. They lived all over the USA for 75 years working everywhere and they said one of their biggest regrets was not to accept a transfer when my father was working to the Houston area. Go to SperlingsBestPlaces.com. For jobs go to a website Milken Institute (google) which just listed "best job performaning cities" and "worst job performing cities". In the top ten "biggest losers" - Fort Myer/cape, and Naples/marco area. check it out. Our company has a franchise up in Charlotte, NC that actually is going to be buying our trucks that are just sitting they are doing so well. Good luck to you. And do your research. It's not a bed of roses down here like people think. (including myself 6 years ago).

Old 09-24-2008, 07:54 AM

531 posts, read 446,885 times
yachtcare...you are funny!!!! lived the comment about the Houston area rightnow!!! Needless to say,We can always use roofers right after Hurricane...all he has to do is watch for the next one...then Come on down!!

Old 09-24-2008, 09:25 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,342,572 times
The FT Myers area would probably not be a place for a roofer at this time. Just to the north, Punta Gorda Port Charlotte area, every house has had a new roof since Charlie. Western Lee County also had a lot of roof replacement.
I'd look more to Texas and Louisiana. They have the greatest need for quality roofing contractors right now.

Old 09-28-2008, 01:21 PM

371 posts, read 1,442,580 times
My family moved to the Fort Myers/Cape Coral area from NY and they were doing well for about 6 years-now they are about to lose everything. You are better off staying in NY or like others said-try Houston. Florida is doing bad right now-especially the area your looking into. If I am not mistaken, Cape Coral has the highest forclosure rate. This will be a big mistake if you go. Take it from me, I hear my aunt crying to me everyday. They are in the plumbing business, anything construction is bad right now in FL.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:01 PM

66 posts, read 195,563 times
I am not one of the negative ones, and even I think a roofer would have a hard time getting a job. Even up in Venice (by Sarasota) where I work construction has died off.

Old 10-05-2008, 03:45 PM

267 posts, read 729,390 times
I'll add my voice to everyone else's. This area specifically was one of the hardest hit areas in the nation from the housing crunch. Thousands of houses are sitting empty in foreclosure and new home building is at a near stand still.

Don't waste your time here. If you are doing good financially where you are, stay. This is not the time to take chances.

My 2 cents

Old 10-06-2008, 10:56 AM

1,555 posts, read 3,788,824 times
First a bit of frustration that folks do not know how to do rudimentary research on the Internet . . .

Just looking at one site--which, not being in construction, I don't know whether it's usually a good source for construction jobs or not--here are a few I found in about 1-2 minutes:

"Job type: Full-Time Employee
ROOFERS —— Expd Supervisors & installers of single ply conventional... " posted 2 weeks ago for Clermont

COMMERCIAL ROOFERS 10 years experience with Single Ply-Torch Down. Need valid driver license, tools and references. . ." posted 2 weeks ago for Palm Bay

FOREMAN —— Comm Roofing Min. 5yrs exp. Valid DL . .." posted yesterday for Sanford

etc.

. . . not a lot of jobs came up searching for just "roofer", and there are probably a lot of applicants for the positions available, but some did, including those I noted above, and as I said, I don't know how good that site usually is for finding construction jobs--I know it's more or less useless for some of the industries I work in.

So it seems there are some jobs available. The only way to know for sure if you're likely to get something is to start contacting potential employers--although the best way to do that (unfortunately) is by meeting them in person. Long distance job searches are usually difficult. Employers want to meet you, see how you present yourself, see if you show up on time, etc., and they usually do not want to pay to send you down for an interview or even take a chance on wasting time scheduling an interview when you just promise to travel to their location on your own dollar.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:26 PM

96 posts, read 284,263 times
Where did you find these jobs listed? My moms friend is a roofer and was let go by the company he worked for since there was no work. He is now just doing odd jobs and mobile home park repairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post
First a bit of frustration that folks do not know how to do rudimentary research on the Internet . . .

Just looking at one site--which, not being in construction, I don't know whether it's usually a good source for construction jobs or not--here are a few I found in about 1-2 minutes:

ROOFERS —— Expd Supervisors & installers of single ply conventional... " posted 2 weeks ago for Clermont

COMMERCIAL ROOFERS 10 years experience with Single Ply-Torch Down. Need valid driver license, tools and references. . ." posted 2 weeks ago for Palm Bay

FOREMAN —— Comm Roofing Min. 5yrs exp. Valid DL . .." posted yesterday for Sanford

etc.

. . . not a lot of jobs came up searching for just "roofer", and there are probably a lot of applicants for the positions available, but some did, including those I noted above, and as I said, I don't know how good that site usually is for finding construction jobs--I know it's more or less useless for some of the industries I work in.

So it seems there are some jobs available. The only way to know for sure if you're likely to get something is to start contacting potential employers--although the best way to do that (unfortunately) is by meeting them in person. Long distance job searches are usually difficult. Employers want to meet you, see how you present yourself, see if you show up on time, etc., and they usually do not want to pay to send you down for an interview or even take a chance on wasting time scheduling an interview when you just promise to travel to their location on your own dollar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area