U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-12-2008, 08:26 AM
 
10 posts, read 6,150 times
Reputation: 17

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post


The weather in Florida means nothing to me. If anything, it is a negative for me.

For some people this is the reason for moving, and the weather in Fla enables cheaper living.Gas prices are outragous... It'll probably cost $100-$130 to cool the house in the summer even the hottest days and easily it'll cost over $ 300 min. to heat that house in the winter with gas prices. Its just preference really. Some people love the heat and want to be out in it. I don't think we should be persuading someone not to move because we don't like the weather as that may be the factor for them moving. Today is a beautiful day its nice and breezy and warm, while places in Wyoming are getting 5 feet of snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-12-2008, 06:18 PM
 
Location: where my heart is
5,642 posts, read 8,230,597 times
Reputation: 1661
Default Weather is just about the ONLY reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_hitter View Post
For some people this is the reason for moving, and the weather in Fla enables cheaper living.Gas prices are outragous... It'll probably cost $100-$130 to cool the house in the summer even the hottest days and easily it'll cost over $ 300 min. to heat that house in the winter with gas prices. Its just preference really. Some people love the heat and want to be out in it. I don't think we should be persuading someone not to move because we don't like the weather as that may be the factor for them moving. Today is a beautiful day its nice and breezy and warm, while places in Wyoming are getting 5 feet of snow.
people want to move to Florida. It was in the low 70s today in NYC, with LOW HUMIDITY, and a nice breeze. I did not wear a jacket. It was in the high 50s at night, No, we didn't need heat, or AC. People talk about the costs of heat, but actually there are months on end where I used neither heat nor AC. You open doors and windows or you shut them. Florida I have the AC going almost 12 months of the year, if nothing else, to get rid of the HUMIDITY.

Do people really understand how HUMID SW Florida really is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2008, 08:16 PM
 
10 posts, read 6,150 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
people want to move to Florida. It was in the low 70s today in NYC, with LOW HUMIDITY, and a nice breeze. I did not wear a jacket. It was in the high 50s at night, No, we didn't need heat, or AC. People talk about the costs of heat, but actually there are months on end where I used neither heat nor AC. You open doors and windows or you shut them. Florida I have the AC going almost 12 months of the year, if nothing else, to get rid of the HUMIDITY.

Do people really understand how HUMID SW Florida really is?


Yes I understand, but whats to say other people aren't bothered by it? Some people don't like the cold. Period, anything below 70's and that might be cold to someone. Perhaps not you and thats your cup of tea.. Great if it is. But you keep insisiting on how humid and hot Fla is and we know.
We're just not bothered by it and it seems to bother you that other people can handle/stand it and that you can't convince them enough how bad it is.. Which its not. Thats like me saying the winters up north are brutal, I hate them and if I never see snow or autumn again it'll be too soo and really it will be too soon. To you its what WHAT how can you say that, to me its like do you not understand how horrible the cold is and the heating costs, and the costs for your car and clothes and shoveling and deicing etc. People do hate it a lot. '

I will be able to open my windows in a couple weeks and keep them open for months. That happens here in Fla. too ya know. I can vivdly remember opening my windows the day after Halloween one year and keep them open and A/c off till April.. thats 6 months out of the year. I would never be able to keep my windows open that long up North. To each his own. We just don't need to hear how horrible the weather is all the time when to some of us this truely IS paradise, and for us up north is your Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2008, 06:59 AM
 
Location: mt airy ga
25 posts, read 65,124 times
Reputation: 18
Default i totally agree

i've been in ne ga for three years now and i freeze my arss off for 6 months of the year, (matter of fact, it starts this month).
yeah, fl gets humid...but your joints won't seize up and your feet won't dry up so bad they start bleeding.
it's good that some people don't like the 365 days of sunshine, shorts and sandals. fl would be really overcrowded then.
the second i get a contract on this house, i'll be down there locking down a house and start shopping for a flats boat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2008, 07:22 AM
 
72 posts, read 198,848 times
Reputation: 39
A flats boat huh... Good for you, that's another reason I love FL... we can boat all year .
Ahhh, life is good !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2008, 07:24 AM
 
Location: where my heart is
5,642 posts, read 8,230,597 times
Reputation: 1661
Default It was 89 degrees, not counting the humidity,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_hitter View Post
Yes I understand, but whats to say other people aren't bothered by it? Some people don't like the cold. Period, anything below 70's and that might be cold to someone. Perhaps not you and thats your cup of tea.. Great if it is. But you keep insisiting on how humid and hot Fla is and we know.
We're just not bothered by it and it seems to bother you that other people can handle/stand it and that you can't convince them enough how bad it is.. Which its not. Thats like me saying the winters up north are brutal, I hate them and if I never see snow or autumn again it'll be too soo and really it will be too soon. To you its what WHAT how can you say that, to me its like do you not understand how horrible the cold is and the heating costs, and the costs for your car and clothes and shoveling and deicing etc. People do hate it a lot. '

I will be able to open my windows in a couple weeks and keep them open for months. That happens here in Fla. too ya know. I can vivdly remember opening my windows the day after Halloween one year and keep them open and A/c off till April.. thats 6 months out of the year. I would never be able to keep my windows open that long up North. To each his own. We just don't need to hear how horrible the weather is all the time when to some of us this truely IS paradise, and for us up north is your Florida.
Thansgiving 2007. I had the oven on for 4 hours cooking the turkey last year. No AC? Open the windows? Let in MORE heat? Christmas 2007 it was 85 degrees, not counting the heat index. Shut off the AC? Nope I had it blasting. I seriously doubt the ac will be off for Halloween this year either. It was 91 degrees in the the middle of the day last week.

Besides, are you in SW Florida? I also lived in Central Florida many years ago and there is a MAJOR difference between the two. I was putting heat on at night there in December. Oh, bettter not say thats. People dont want cold in Florida. Everybody comes here for WEATHER.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2008, 09:57 AM
 
Location: mt airy ga
25 posts, read 65,124 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by helplessinfl View Post
A flats boat huh... Good for you, that's another reason I love FL... we can boat all year .
Ahhh, life is good !
i've also got a harley. that's something else ya gotta add to the list of things you do all year down there too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2008, 10:19 AM
 
Location: Riverview, FL....for now.
1,404 posts, read 5,224,634 times
Reputation: 475
I would say LI. No way would I stay here in Fl. (and I am a Fl. native) over a chance to be in New York state. The weather is cooler and nicer and you see 4 seasons. You are not too entirely far from NYC. Here it's hot and muggy. I would take a smaller house over a big one down in the heat and hurricanes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2008, 03:18 PM
 
Location: N.H Gods Country
2,360 posts, read 4,617,521 times
Reputation: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_hitter View Post
Yes I understand, but whats to say other people aren't bothered by it? Some people don't like the cold. Period, anything below 70's and that might be cold to someone. Perhaps not you and thats your cup of tea.. Great if it is. But you keep insisiting on how humid and hot Fla is and we know.
We're just not bothered by it and it seems to bother you that other people can handle/stand it and that you can't convince them enough how bad it is.. Which its not. Thats like me saying the winters up north are brutal, I hate them and if I never see snow or autumn again it'll be too soo and really it will be too soon. To you its what WHAT how can you say that, to me its like do you not understand how horrible the cold is and the heating costs, and the costs for your car and clothes and shoveling and deicing etc. People do hate it a lot. '

I will be able to open my windows in a couple weeks and keep them open for months. That happens here in Fla. too ya know. I can vivdly remember opening my windows the day after Halloween one year and keep them open and A/c off till April.. thats 6 months out of the year. I would never be able to keep my windows open that long up North. To each his own. We just don't need to hear how horrible the weather is all the time when to some of us this truely IS paradise, and for us up north is your Florida.
Tara Is that You?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2008, 03:35 PM
 
Location: where my heart is
5,642 posts, read 8,230,597 times
Reputation: 1661
Default I've had the AC running for more months

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_hitter View Post
For some people this is the reason for moving, and the weather in Fla enables cheaper living.Gas prices are outragous... It'll probably cost $100-$130 to cool the house in the summer even the hottest days and easily it'll cost over $ 300 min. to heat that house in the winter with gas prices. Its just preference really. Some people love the heat and want to be out in it. I don't think we should be persuading someone not to move because we don't like the weather as that may be the factor for them moving. Today is a beautiful day its nice and breezy and warm, while places in Wyoming are getting 5 feet of snow.
in Florida than I had the heat running in NY. I would never put AC on in NY in the 70s, but I have to here because of the HUMIDITY.

I did not put on the heat until the temps were in the low 50s. I just shut the windows and wore sweatshirts. There were many months when I used neither heat nor AC. I had gas heat and was on the budget plan, where they spread the payments out over the 12 months, so the months when I didn't use heat, it was cheaper. My LIPA bills on the budget plan were $130 a month for 12 months.

I just got back from NY yesterday. The temps were in the high 60s and low 70s. I wore jeans and a tshirt. Freezing? Snow? In OCTOBER? I don't think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top