U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 03:45 PM

27,236 posts, read 42,273,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlepawsinn View Post
What would you choose if you had the choice.

1. Average size home with small/average backyard, maybe a finished basement, up North (New York/Long Island) in need of updates.

or

2. A beautiful oversized home in South Florida (Ft. Myers/Cape Coral area), with many bedrooms and bathrooms, fireplace, Large courtyard pool and spa, on a wide canal with a dock that has access to the ocean?

Both places have their pros and cons. But what would you choose and why?? Can't wait to hear your answers.
Neither. Choice A is too cold. Choice B is too large.

I had a website for tiny homes, but I'm not sure it works anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 11:42 AM

1,555 posts, read 3,785,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
My daughter is looking at a house on LI listed at $275,000 with $6,000 in taxes. We paid $285,000 with $4,500 taxes, not counting HOA fees, in Naples.
What's the comparison in terms of square footage, lot size, etc.? How far is the Long Island property from Manhattan? And do you have pictures of both so we can compare the houses? Also, did you buy your house when the market was inflated? You'd really have to compare what your house is worth now if your daughter's price is what she'd pay now.

When I do a search for what one can get in Nassau County, NY, say, for that amount of money compared to what one can get in Collier County, FL for that money, the Collier County houses are better, imo--regardless of where they are (that is, if we imagined taking those houses and lots and putting them anywhere in the world we might like to be, I prefer the houses you can get in Collier County for that money).

Old 10-15-2008, 03:14 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,643,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post
What's the comparison in terms of square footage, lot size, etc.? How far is the Long Island property from Manhattan? And do you have pictures of both so we can compare the houses? Also, did you buy your house when the market was inflated? You'd really have to compare what your house is worth now if your daughter's price is what she'd pay now.

When I do a search for what one can get in Nassau County, NY, say, for that amount of money compared to what one can get in Collier County, FL for that money, the Collier County houses are better, imo--regardless of where they are (that is, if we imagined taking those houses and lots and putting them anywhere in the world we might like to be, I prefer the houses you can get in Collier County for that money).

The house I'm looking at is in East meadow , just 10 miles outside of Queens. It's in excellent condition. The highest bid so far is 260k. It's a short sale. People make it seem like it's impossible to find houses in expensive areas, but not if you look.

Old 10-15-2008, 03:47 PM

5,642 posts, read 8,231,576 times
Default I bought mine December 2007

Quote:

It is 2100 sq ft. It was an estate sale. She listed originally at $430,000 in 2006 and went down to $375,000 August 2007. We made the offer at $275,000 and said we could close in ONE WEEK. Take it or leave it. Yes, we were prepared to leave it. I walked out of so many over priced homes I couldn't even count them. A few I had to contain myself from laughing at the ridiculous prices they were asking for CLOSETS. Ah, must be for the priviledge of living in paradise.

My neighbor next door (feet away actually) sold in June 2008 for $430,000. NOT WORTH anything over $300,000. My house on LI would have fit inside this one, plus it was over half an acre.

As PT Barnum said, There's a sucker born every minute. Most of them are Snowbirds too.

Old 10-16-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
It is 2100 sq ft . . .
What about the rest of the comparison stats?

Old 10-16-2008, 02:48 PM

5,642 posts, read 8,231,576 times
Default Very difficult to say

Quote:
What about the rest of the comparison stats?
because my house on Long Island had MULTIPLE floors. There was the main level. You went down stairs to the family room. Then down more stairs to the basement. You went upstairs from the main level to the bedrooms. They called it a split level house.

Just calculating sq. footage just on the main level would no way give an accurate description of how big it really was. That would actually make it seem very TINY.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:08 AM

Quote:
because my house on Long Island had MULTIPLE floors. There was the main level. You went down stairs to the family room. Then down more stairs to the basement. You went upstairs from the main level to the bedrooms. They called it a split level house.

Just calculating sq. footage just on the main level would no way give an accurate description of how big it really was. That would actually make it seem very TINY.
Whaaa?

You were talking about a house your daughter was going to buy in comparison to your present house. That's what I was talking about, too.

If you gave just the square footage on the bathroom, it wouldn't give an accurate description of how big it is, either, because that's not how you give square footage. You give the square footage for the whole "living area" of the house--which means everything minus the garage, patios, etc. The stuff I asked for really wasn't very difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area