U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 05:06 PM

616 posts, read 1,377,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by equalrightsforeveryone View Post
As long as the city and county governments have only property taxes as their source of in come this entire area will stay depressed.
It is time to bring some industry and other business to the SWFL area.
The biggest problem is the anti business environment in SWFL.
This area will not be sustained by retirees alone.
Not going to happen.
SWFL could be one of the most productive and innovative areas in the country plus a great place to live, the only thing that is holding things up is the progressive government around here.
Get rid of the progressives and SWFL can finally, grow in to what it should be.

Next time vote them out.
What is your definition of Progressive Politics?

If Cape Coral is Progressive.. then you should love it here. From my research - Progressive Politics are based off of left wing politics (Liberals). From my understanding, Liberals want EQUAL RIGHTS for everyone...

Cape Coral and pretty much SWFL are very Right Wing (Conservatives)...

Please explain your "Progressive" Government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 05:25 PM

518 posts, read 1,073,472 times
What county adjusts property values every year? Very,Very greedy ones do to support there waist full spending habits! Most adjust every 2 years in the US. On top of that this government only wants the rates to stay up so they jack up the mill levy last year to make up for declining property values. Even that is not enough money to pay there bills. Then they tell you this year the mill levy is staying the same like they are doing you a favor. I think it is almost maxed out and they would have to get voter approval to pass a raise to increase it. Like that would happen! You can not keep raising the tax rate and permit fees in this town to pay for the towns debt.There just isn't enough rich homeowners in the Cape to carry there burden of debt that the town has run up.Time for a major change in the Capes debt repayment plan.Just like a lot of the homeowners have had to do in this town when they went broke.Vote them out!

Old 12-17-2010, 09:28 PM

22,564 posts, read 48,396,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stahltkd View Post
What is your definition of Progressive Politics?

If Cape Coral is Progressive.. then you should love it here. From my research - Progressive Politics are based off of left wing politics (Liberals). From my understanding, Liberals want EQUAL RIGHTS for everyone...

Cape Coral and pretty much SWFL are very Right Wing (Conservatives)...

Please explain your "Progressive" Government.
Some folks go by what their favorite tv and radio personalities tell them. If someone creates a rule that you don't like it must be one of those daggum liberals. They have no idea who the enemy is.

We had a guy up in Knoxville walk into a liberal church and start shooting. He killed at least one person. He said he was mad because the liberals took away his food stamps. Seriously. His house was full of books written by Fox News personalities.

And the way the values went down, you would think you would want the assessors office to be out every year. However, changing the millage rate to raise taxes is a no-no. In TN that is illegal. I wonder about FL?

Old 12-18-2010, 07:56 AM

Changing the mill rate is legal here as long as you stay within the voter approved amount. Most states are near maxed out on the amounts vs your tax charge every year. Thus, they have to go to the tax payer to get voter approved increases on the mill levy to increase your taxes for debt they have to service. The government here must of got an increase on the mill rate a while back when they didn't really need it. Most likely when the boom was on and no one cared it got passed with other bills. This government hedged there tax and house values for a 50% drop in value sometime in the future by only using half of the mill rate. They should of projected 70 to 80% drop on the hedge. 50% still left them way short. Either way it is a crime against the tax payer in this state. They had to be sued to stop the increases from going up in the boom times and I suspect they will be sued again to stop the increases in the down time.But, yes in a normal working government I would love for the assessors to come out yearly if they played honestly. I paid heavy tax amounts in the boom and am still paying what I would call heavy tax amounts today. It will be interesting when they have to ask for a mill levy increase in the next year or two because they are still short on money. They need to stop spending and make large cuts. Period! Before they make everyone in this town broke.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:04 AM

2,903 posts, read 11,230,676 times
Folks, please stay on topic...which is property taxes.
I will not let this wander to being another liberal/conservative rant.

BTW, I pay over 6k in property taxes up here in NY, so I am not shedding tears over this thread....

Frank

Old 12-18-2010, 08:32 AM

2,326 posts, read 4,319,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
Folks, please stay on topic...which is property taxes.
I will not let this wander to being another liberal/conservative rant.

BTW, I pay over 6k in property taxes up here in NY, so I am not shedding tears over this thread....

Frank

I know, i guess it's all relative. in mass my property taxes are $5500, in new hampshire they were as high as $9000 some years. even though new hampshires seemed high there was no sales tax or income tax so the tax burden was a lot less than what I pay in Mass in total. by comparison I think my house in cape coral is only like $1000 so when people complain about the property taxes I scratch my head especially since there is no income tax in florida.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:39 AM

2,903 posts, read 11,230,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
I know, i guess it's all relative. in mass my property taxes are $5500, in new hampshire they were as high as $9000 some years. even though new hampshires seemed high there was no sales tax or income tax so the tax burden was a lot less than what I pay in Mass in total. by comparison I think my house in cape coral is only like $1000 so when people complain about the property taxes I scratch my head especially since there is no income tax in florida.
Eggggggggzzzactlllllllllyyyyy.........

Old 12-18-2010, 08:57 AM

It is very very sad when people in northern states have been robbed so long on there taxes that they think this state is a great deal. The government loves people that think like that.This state used to be great on taxes about 10 years ago. Those days are long gone.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:37 AM

1,299 posts, read 1,989,405 times
The biggest problem there is about the taxes is the way they are spent.
Taxes could be less everywhere if government spent the money wisely.
Mostly that is the reason why taxpayers complain, every time the government wants to spend more they just want to be able to milk the cash cow.
They are even going to have a special city board meeting to discuss raises for city workers in Cape Coral, That is nuts when everyone else has to make do with less.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:38 AM

10,422 posts, read 9,106,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleaner View Post
The residence of lee county were unpleasantly surprised to find out that their property taxes have remained the same or in many cases have gone up!

Does the county understand the impact of leaving current millage rates in place that are representative of the last 5 years of explosive growth are now choking property owners and destroying any hope of fort myers from stabilizing the current dramatic economic downturn.

Lets take a look at the facts... Lee County, FL has the highest unemployment rate in the United States at 8.9% and going higher! Lee County has the highest foreclosure rate of over 27% in the United States. Lee County has lost over 180,000 jobs in the last 2 years! The property taxes are among the highest in the nation.

The facts are clear and the impact of the failure to act by lowering the tax burden on Lee County property owners and putting a spending freeze on all non-vital projects need to happen now!! This crisis is not a short-term situation...the complexities of this global melt down the likes of which have never been seen will leave places like Fort Myers, Cape Coral, Lehigh Acres in complete disrepair for the next decade!!!

Citizens need to protest and show their concerns about this! The politicians are completly unware and lack the understanding of this current crisis and lack the will to act decisive way! Just imagine come november and property owners all over the county are delinquent in paying their property taxes because they can't afford them! What county adjusts assessed values every year! thats insane!

Please contribute to this crucial debate!
But but but you have on income tax in FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area