U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 04:25 PM

58 posts, read 95,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiege1224 View Post
Voting has been going on for how long now and where has it left this country? How many times does something have to fail till everyone figures out that it just doesn't work any more. Everyone is always conned with false promises to get there vote. Which leaves us with a larger mess every time.But after every election we all come back for more when it doesn't work out. More broke now than ever! You can't vote your way out of being broke. But this country is still the greatest!
Holy **** !!! Finally someone said it

Last edited by mlehman59; 12-18-2010 at 04:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 02:29 AM

14,267 posts, read 16,424,953 times
Quote:
It is very very sad when people in northern states have been robbed so long on there taxes that they think this state is a great deal. The government loves people that think like that.This state used to be great on taxes about 10 years ago. Those days are long gone.
I agree. It's sort of like gas. Today I was happy to find gas for $2.97 because I paid $3.25 a few days ago. I don't want to turn into my parents with my I remember when stories, but I used to drive a long way on a dollar. We become complacent and begin to accept whatever is handed to us.

By the way, the home values are much higher up north, so I do not know how anyone can compare property taxes with homes in Cape Coral. For example, if you live in Westchester County, New York and pay $8,000 in property tax, chances are your home's estimated value is more than $580,000.

We have a lot of investors, retirees and people buying 2nd homes comparing the cost of living to other areas. If you don't work here and raise a family, then it's the old apples & oranges idiom all over again.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:15 AM

518 posts, read 1,073,187 times
I agree. Very well put. Me and My parents used to talk about how it was in the good old days also.But, they were talking 40 to 50 years ago not only 10. Our children will be saying the same thing only it will be 2 to 5 years if we don't watch it. Your right about gas.When is the last time it only went up 1 cent like it did for years. Same with my taxes they went up 400.00 to 600.00 this year. My value went up 4,000. Go figure? It is just to close to the homestead amount I will receive next year to not have been figured into the amount some how. You can hope things get better by voting ect. But, I doubt they will.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:12 PM

14,267 posts, read 16,424,953 times
It's very difficult to say if the problems discussed on this thread are specific to Lee County or even Florida. For example, I've heard tourists say the food prices are higher here, but I have nothing to compare, except Publix vs Walmart or Winn Dixie.

This is an interesting chart from Forbes showing percentage of income people pay in property taxes around the country. The highest in FL is Miami-Dade. Lee County is on the list, but now I understand why so many people from NJ bring up this subject.

[url=http://www.forbes.com/2009/01/22/taxes-homes-property-forbeslife-cx_mw_0122realestate_table.html]Table: Who Pays America's Highest Property Taxes? - Forbes.com[/url]

Old 12-20-2010, 04:06 PM

2,325 posts, read 4,317,814 times
interesting comparison..... but...... I think a much better measure is tax burden. For example new hampshire shows high on the list but yet they don't have a sales tax or income tax , so even though on the surface it looks like it would be more expensive to live there than Massachusetts it's not even close. Florida has a sales tax, but no income tax. Mass has property taxes, sales taxes, income taxes, tolls, extra taxes on gasoline.

http://www.retirementliving.com/tax_burden_2008.pdf (broken link)

this link ranks the states by tax burden it lists them alphabetically but the ranks are a few columns over. This is the most recent florida ranks 47 out of 50 which is almost the best. and I'll bet the tax burden has gone down since the sales tax has remained the same and property values have gone down since then. Another article I saw said lee county is ranked #4 as the leading retirement locations.

what florida ranks poorly in is that there are a lot of people that pay taxes in Florida but also other states (snowbirds and 2nd home owners) I knew I liked NH for a reason #46 on the list.

Last edited by nhkev; 12-20-2010 at 04:22 PM..

Old 12-20-2010, 06:33 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,988,877 times
Quote:
I agree. Very well put. Me and My parents used to talk about how it was in the good old days also.But, they were talking 40 to 50 years ago not only 10. Our children will be saying the same thing only it will be 2 to 5 years if we don't watch it. Your right about gas.When is the last time it only went up 1 cent like it did for years. Same with my taxes they went up 400.00 to 600.00 this year. My value went up 4,000. Go figure? It is just to close to the homestead amount I will receive next year to not have been figured into the amount some how. You can hope things get better by voting ect. But, I doubt they will.
Well you have to do more than just vote, you got to keep track of the rascals you vote in to office.
And if they don't you what they are supposed to kick em out the next election.
Some body always has to watch what is going on or the just start doing what they want.
Vigilance always.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:36 PM

22,564 posts, read 48,383,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equalrightsforeveryone View Post
Well you have to do more than just vote, you got to keep track of the rascals you vote in to office.
And if they don't you what they are supposed to kick em out the next election.
Some body always has to watch what is going on or the just start doing what they want.
Vigilance always.
I wouldn't sit around and wait for election time. Pick up the phone and tell them that you are watching what they have been doing and you are not happy. Remind them that there is an influx of new people moving in that intend to pay attention to what they are doing. If they don't vote the way their constituents want them to they will make sure the situation is publicized. It really is that easy. Tell them you are forming a watchdog group and you have hundreds of people signed up, then do it. They'll take notice of that.

Old 12-24-2010, 05:16 AM

3,633 posts, read 8,737,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
interesting comparison..... but...... I think a much better measure is tax burden. For example new hampshire shows high on the list but yet they don't have a sales tax or income tax , so even though on the surface it looks like it would be more expensive to live there than Massachusetts it's not even close. Florida has a sales tax, but no income tax. Mass has property taxes, sales taxes, income taxes, tolls, extra taxes on gasoline.

http://www.retirementliving.com/tax_burden_2008.pdf (broken link)

this link ranks the states by tax burden it lists them alphabetically but the ranks are a few columns over. This is the most recent florida ranks 47 out of 50 which is almost the best. and I'll bet the tax burden has gone down since the sales tax has remained the same and property values have gone down since then. Another article I saw said lee county is ranked #4 as the leading retirement locations.

what florida ranks poorly in is that there are a lot of people that pay taxes in Florida but also other states (snowbirds and 2nd home owners) I knew I liked NH for a reason #46 on the list.
Gas is the same here as MA, food is close, rent is the same as where I am from in MA, FL has tolls, FL has property tax, FL has a higher crime rate, higher unemployment, MA has the ever so annoying excise tax, FL has rediculous regristration and vehicle insurance rates... It all evens out....

Old 12-24-2010, 05:52 AM

22,564 posts, read 48,383,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
Gas is the same here as MA, food is close, rent is the same as where I am from in MA, FL has tolls, FL has property tax, FL has a higher crime rate, higher unemployment, MA has the ever so annoying excise tax, FL has rediculous regristration and vehicle insurance rates... It all evens out....
True, except MA has a lot cheaper food, to me. I never understood that. With all of the agriculture in Florida, and hardly anything in MA, why is food so darn expensive?

Old 12-24-2010, 06:03 AM

3,633 posts, read 8,737,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
True, except MA has a lot cheaper food, to me. I never understood that. With all of the agriculture in Florida, and hardly anything in MA, why is food so darn expensive?
Also, produce from MA, is wayyyyy better quality than the mass produced(no pun intended) veggies here. We also buy CA oranges over FL oranges, they are sweeter...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area