Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2008, 03:07 PM

72 posts, read 223,503 times

Advertisements

I live in Florida. I have a home and a rental property. The rental property is going to be foreclosed on. Can the mortgage company put a lein on my homesteaded home for a difference in the amount in which it is sold for and what would still be owed??

I have been out of work for a year now.. Will that same mortgage company obtain a judgement and make me pay back the difference between what the rental property sells for and what I would still owe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 05:12 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,692,054 times
I'm pretty certain they can, indeed, place a lien on any thing of any value you own. Any real property you own, is likely the first thing they would attach. Of course there are variables, like how much actual equity you have in your homesteaded property, etc., etc., etc.
All of those variable need to be taken into account, to establish your eventual liability, and of course the most important factor will be, how much the foreclosed property ends up selling for.
Now for the disclaimer, this is just all my "layman's" opinion. I am not licensed to practice law, so take what I say as being worth what you paid for it.
For matters such as these, it is in your best interest to obtain the services of a real bona fide, licensed legal practictioner. In short, hire an attorney, disclose ALL info he/she deems necessary to have, and he/she can advise you further. DO NOT base any "legal" decisions on "advice" you get on a message board, or forum. Best of luck.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:20 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,401,599 times
Really need someone with Florida advice...

Here in CA... a purchase money first loan is said to be non-recourse... in other words, the property itself is the only security.

Once a property is refinanced the loan is no longer a purchase money loan.

I had a friend that was in charge of the REO department of Sumitomo Bank in San Francisco and he is the one that explained this to me.

He was always amazed that people were so quick to give-up the built in protection by refinancing.

So... I would ask is the loan in question recourse or non-recourse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area