Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2008, 04:42 PM

4 posts, read 13,674 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been married a little over a year. I recently received a call from a recruiter about a job in Fort Myers. My husband and I live in NYC. I have been here for 7 yeas and love it but with the idea of having a child and buying a home we realized not in NYC is not the answer. Our quality of life is not so great. My parents live up by Englewood and I am familiar with that area as well as Sarasota but have only ever flown into Fort Myers. My husband and I love to go to gallery openings, and museums, live concerts or out to bars with friends. I know there is no where like NYC for that but was hoping to find a small scene like that in Fort Myers. I have lived in the south before and I remember then it was an acclimation. My husband is from Colombia and really only know NYC of the USA. I am not sure what to tell him about Fort Myers. The idea of living close to my parents, being able to buy a house, wonderful weather, near the beach are all great but will I be satisfied culturally in Fort Myers. I am a designer and my husband a teacher.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 04:45 PM

1,509 posts, read 3,082,844 times
Ft Myers is moderately hip, although it's not NYC. Remember you can always take road trips to Miami if you need more excitement.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:43 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,653,377 times
Default School Districts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drerae View Post
My husband and I have been married a little over a year. I recently received a call from a recruiter about a job in Fort Myers. My husband and I live in NYC. I have been here for 7 yeas and love it but with the idea of having a child and buying a home we realized not in NYC is not the answer. Our quality of life is not so great. My parents live up by Englewood and I am familiar with that area as well as Sarasota but have only ever flown into Fort Myers. My husband and I love to go to gallery openings, and museums, live concerts or out to bars with friends. I know there is no where like NYC for that but was hoping to find a small scene like that in Fort Myers. I have lived in the south before and I remember then it was an acclimation. My husband is from Colombia and really only know NYC of the USA. I am not sure what to tell him about Fort Myers. The idea of living close to my parents, being able to buy a house, wonderful weather, near the beach are all great but will I be satisfied culturally in Fort Myers. I am a designer and my husband a teacher.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Lee School District has a hiring freeze on. Collier is only giving one year contracts to instructional and non instructional hires.

In general, because of the budget shortfall, it is not a good time to look for a position with these two school districts. Everything is far too unstable right now.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:07 PM

"Lee School District has a hiring freeze on. Collier is only giving one year contracts to instructional and non instructional hires.

In general, because of the budget shortfall, it is not a good time to look for a position with these two school districts. Everything is far too unstable right now."

Thanks for the heads up my husband is going to stay in NYC for a masters program in education so we are not super concerned about getting him a job for 2 years. Let us all hope the economy will be more stable then.

Also is Fort Myers a bike freindly town. I have not had a car in 6 years and I bike everywhere in NYC. I know I have to get a car but would prefer to get around on my bike, better for the enviorment and healthier!

Old 10-08-2008, 02:11 PM

Default biking

"Lee School District has a hiring freeze on. Collier is only giving one year contracts to instructional and non instructional hires.

In general, because of the budget shortfall, it is not a good time to look for a position with these two school districts. Everything is far too unstable right now."

Thanks for the heads up my husband is going to stay in NYC for a masters program in education so we are not super concerned about getting him a job for 2 years. Let us all hope the economy will be more stable then.

Also is Fort Myers a bike freindly town. I have not had a car in 6 years and I bike everywhere in NYC. I know I have to get a car but would prefer to get around on my bike, better for the enviorment and healthier! Are there bike lanes?

Old 10-08-2008, 04:39 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,725,137 times
I wouldnt call it particularly bike friendly, but I do see many bikes. As far as "culture" is concerned...not so much in Ft Myers/Cape Coral. More in Naples 35 miles south. But even that may be a stretch, depends on what you're looking for I guess...eye of the beholder type of thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area