Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 07:59 AM

52 posts, read 127,942 times

Advertisements

Hey gang. I bailed from FL shortly after Hurricane Charley to the northeast, where I grew up, but not exactly...

I am living outside Philly right now and I hate it basically.

I know that Cape Coral is crap... everyone, EVERYONE bashes it on this forum. They bash SWFL, Ft. Myers and everything related.

So, I'm not looking for bashing... I'm looking for people who can say (honestly), that it's not that bad.

I know a lot of things are going up and people complain about "growing pains" but that's anywhere in the country. Trust me, the Philly burbs aren't much better.

And I know there's a serious lack of culture down there. There's the same lack of culture up here. You can't escape it. Sooner or later, you're going to find people who never heard of Charles Bukowski or Dostoevsky.

I'm basically bailing from the north because I don't like the traffic, the people, the jobs, and the weather. My parents live in the Cape and I'm staying with them for a while until I can figure out what to do next. I'm 30. Yes, I know.

So yeah... can anyone say anything NICE about SWFL?, the new businesses they've put up and stuff? Any new anything? Any younger people who read, have extensive music collections, and have seen more than three Woody Allen films... is it REALLY that bad? Come on, now. Life is what you make it.

Much love,
themixtape
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2007, 09:37 AM

16 posts, read 71,025 times
I know what u mean , i grew in DC, no different from philly,they bash cc like its the worse place to live...I guess i will find out for myself, i will be moving there next week...good luck by the way

Old 02-13-2007, 10:09 AM

52 posts, read 127,942 times
Default cc

how old are you, and why are you moving? are you moving from san diego (big difference... i have visited SD many times and love it)... if you're around my age (18-35 is cool with me) and artistic/jaded, we should hang out and complain. haha.

-themixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromSandiego View Post
I know what u mean , i grew in DC, no different from philly,they bash cc like its the worse place to live...I guess i will find out for myself, i will be moving there next week...good luck by the way

Old 02-13-2007, 11:19 AM

turned 39....... today, and yes SanDiego is nice, but very,very expensive , but thats california living, found a job in Naples and will be commuting from CC. I'm renting a house for $1100 . that same house would rent here for around $2800 .

Old 02-13-2007, 02:55 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,906,187 times
Cape Coral is not what it was. The drive to Naples will take a long time from the Cape. Try something in the south part of the county.

Old 02-13-2007, 05:39 PM

363 posts, read 1,360,604 times
Not trying to threadcrap here. I visit Cape Coral often (good news is they have a KOHL's!! and my best friend and her 5 kids live there)

I started buying land in Cape Coral in 2000 and at the same time bought a gulf access condo. When I decided to leave SE Florida for SW Florida I thought Cape Coral was going to be my new town.

When I got more serious, I looked into school choice, found out about sewer assessments, how far it is from the beaches, and then the last straw--paying $$ to go over the bridge each way into Ft. Myers, I changed my mind and moved slightly north into Charlotte County.

I am in my 30's with 4 kids. I watch the same TV news channels and newspapers from Ft. Myers and I read about all the murders, home invasions, gangs in schools, the many sex offenders there, drug houses and crazy traffic and increasing sewer assessments and how they are running out of water/wells running dry and how bad the schools are, I am very satisfied with my move a bit north. I did sell my condo and land there a couple of years ago.

Charlotte is not immune to the problems of Cape Coral and it may soon follow a similar path. For now, I don't think the Cape or Lehigh are good options for families (JMHO!)

The good news is there are lots of rentals to come and check it out for yourself with nothing to tie you down if it is not for you!

Old 02-13-2007, 05:51 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,906,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2peaches2oranges View Post
Not trying to threadcrap here. I visit Cape Coral often (good news is they have a KOHL's!! and my best friend and her 5 kids live there)

I started buying land in Cape Coral in 2000 and at the same time bought a gulf access condo. When I decided to leave SE Florida for SW Florida I thought Cape Coral was going to be my new town.

When I got more serious, I looked into school choice, found out about sewer assessments, how far it is from the beaches, and then the last straw--paying $$ to go over the bridge each way into Ft. Myers, I changed my mind and moved slightly north into Charlotte County.

I am in my 30's with 4 kids. I watch the same TV news channels and newspapers from Ft. Myers and I read about all the murders, home invasions, gangs in schools, the many sex offenders there, drug houses and crazy traffic and increasing sewer assessments and how they are running out of water/wells running dry and how bad the schools are, I am very satisfied with my move a bit north. I did sell my condo and land there a couple of years ago.

Charlotte is not immune to the problems of Cape Coral and it may soon follow a similar path. For now, I don't think the Cape or Lehigh are good options for families (JMHO!)

The good news is there are lots of rentals to come and check it out for yourself with nothing to tie you down if it is not for you!
Very truthful Reply about that area.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:11 PM

yea, thats exactly why we are renting, just to see how it is

Old 02-13-2007, 08:18 PM

15 posts, read 68,271 times
We left the Cape 2 years ago to move back to the NE as well.

Moved back to Fla. in Aug. We didn't want to move back to the Cape due mostly to the cost of housing, schools ( we also have 4 children and are in our 30's) and the feeling of being on top of each other.
We choose to move to North Port - although, we know soon it will get just as built up as the Cape and probably end up moving again=)

But my parents live in the Cape and I go there every week. I have to admit as I drive into the Cape - down Pine Island Road - I'm amazed at how many stores and restuarants have gone up in the past 2 years and wish we had all that around us too=)
There is Kohls, Carabbas, Shrimp Shack and strip malls galore going up on PI RD.
I guess you can't have it both ways. For now I'll sacrifice stores for a peaceful quiet street - but I guess I'm getting old=) - or maybe it's just having kids that do that to ya!

Old 05-05-2007, 07:02 AM

172 posts, read 857,083 times
hmmm anything good about cape coral....

judging by your talk of music collections, reading and woody allen movies. i take it you enjoy a "cultured"/"hip" type of atmosphere.

im 20 and im the same way. having lived here before, you already know cape coral is the exact opposite of that. so you can count anything like that out.

now back to the positives..lol

ummmmm. hmmmm let me think.

more people goin out at night. you might actually see a car driving around at 11/12 at night now. so i guess theres a more youthful presence here than there use to be? i duno lol

i had to try haaaaaard for that one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area