U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 01:14 PM

727 posts, read 1,666,954 times

Advertisements

Oh, I remember that incident. Well, I'm sure many people there were not offended, but wrong to say aloud like that in a public place.

Old 10-11-2008, 05:32 PM

8,488 posts, read 18,377,381 times
So, using someones middle name is racist now.

If Hussien has a problem with his own middle name then he should get it legally changed.

I don't know Lee County so I can say if it is racist or not but based on using someones middle name I would say no, it is not racist.

And I did watch a few of the different videos to see if I was missing something.

Old 10-11-2008, 05:40 PM

And another thing.

On many of the sites I checked everyone is crying that he violated the Hatch Act.

Here are activities allowed under the Hatch Act.

Permitted Activities

Covered state and local employees may-

run for public office in nonpartisan elections
campaign for and hold office in political clubs and organizations
actively campaign for candidates for public office in partisan and nonpartisan elections
contribute money to political organizations and attend political fundraising functions

Here are the prohibited activities.

Prohibited Activities

Covered state and local employees may not-

be candidates for public office in a partisan election
use official authority or influence to interfere with or affect the results of an election or nomination
directly or indirectly coerce contributions from subordinates in support of a political party or candidate

Old 10-11-2008, 06:23 PM

6,102 posts, read 13,404,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
It depends what publication it is and if it is legitimate. I have never seen a problem there and I just moved from there last week. I never heard it in the news there either. Actually all the time in Florida after 14 years I can recall two incidents in Florida. I can think of one in Orlando where some 14 year olds were spray painting racial slurs on a familys home and set thier mailbox on fire. The other was some teens again spray painting nazi crap on a jewish families home or a temple in Tampa I believe, this we like 10 years ago. Nothing ever like this in Lee County. Not that it has not happened, but Fox4 news never had anything like that in thier news.
Hey ChrisA70, are you aka BacktoMA4good?
Sorry if the confusion if you're not. But I see you were linked as a friend.
I hadn't heard you changed your name.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:13 PM

4,678 posts, read 8,741,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsimicata View Post
Wow. Really? What about elected officials? I am beginning to think I must have heard the stories on CNN and the major networks incorrectly (regarding the McCain rally and what happened). Maybe it wasn't Lee County.

Anyway, it really had me scared. I must be confused about where in Florida it all took place or maybe my interpretation of the events I saw on TV is just wrong.

I was in a hurray after all!
I'll put it like this ( Many here won't agree with what I say and afterall, It's just my view and opinion so take it for what it's worth... )

I was born and raised in Central Florida ( Born in Orlando, raised in Tampa ) I witnessed alot of racism that at the time, I wasn't aware what it was because A. I was a kid, and B. It was the norm for the area I lived in. I had alot of friends in school and while they were mostly white because of the area, I also had alot of black and hispanic friends as well and I think they too thought of what happend in the area to be the norm because it's what they grew up knowing.

When I moved out of Florida and visited places like Texas and California and when I moved to Tennessee, I noticed that for one, the racist remarks were slim to none. People were nicer to everyone. Most important of all, Black and Mexican people don't stand for subserviant treatment in those states.

In my own experiences, I went on a tour of FAMU when I was getting close to going to college. I was called many names, got many stares, and was told by a few on campus not to attend. As a white student I found that unsettleing however, When I moved to Tennessee, The only close, affordable university that I could attend was Tennessee State and it too was an HBCU and they were the most friendly people I ever met.

Basically, IMHO People in Florida are mostly from everywhere else. In some cases Florida gets some of the best transplants from other states. In most cases, Florida gets the criminals, rednecks, and wanna be's.

You will experience racism everywhere and it doesn't matter your race. However, I've found more racism in Florida then in any of the other southern states. In Florida you will find more racism in the sticks, the middle or northern parts of the state if you're black. In Florida you will find more racism in the major cities esp. Miami if you're white.

It's my home state and It's not perfect. I haven't lived in Florida 100% since the late 90's and have tried to return in the 2000's but it didn't work out. When it comes to relocation to Florida, I'm out of chances. It doesn't work for me and I can't make a decent life there so I will choose not to. If you want to live in a high crime, high tax, high insurance state then Florida is it. IMHO, Weather isn't worth the headache that is Florida.

To answer your original questions. I lived in a town called La Belle in 2003. I worked everyday in Ft. Myers and I found it to be one of the best areas of Florida I had ever lived in. I am married to a black woman and never had problems there. Some people are how they are and won't change. You can't blame the whole county or area based on the rants and B.S. of one man. Also, If you more there and you don't like the Sheriff. Raise some awareness on him and maybe he won't be re-elected next term.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:00 PM

727 posts, read 1,666,954 times
"Basically, IMHO People in Florida are mostly from everywhere else. In some cases Florida gets some of the best transplants from other states. In most cases, Florida gets the criminals, rednecks, and wanna be's."

Hi TNRyan23, I agree with your post for the most part, and I wanted to add (if I may) a little bit of additional info to the above statement. Many of the rednecks/FL crackers I have met tend to be nice folks. I am not sure which rednecks you are referring to that move TO Florida, but there may be some. Or perhaps you mean "rednecks" as in "ignorant." (?)

I also feel like Florida (like you had mentioned above) does attract a lot of people that you dont necessarily want living in FL (a lot of sex offenders and other criminals seem to be drawn to FL), along with a lot of unhappy people, grumpy, and sometimes just rude people from the Northeast (a large portion). I feel like FL still has a lot of good people here, but at times, you just have to wonder how long FL is going to keep the good folks happy enough to stay put (weather/hurricanes, crime, taxes, economy, rude people, terrible drivers, and the oppressive summer heat are all examples).

Old 10-11-2008, 10:38 PM

5,642 posts, read 8,232,572 times
Default Appearing in uniform

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
And another thing.

On many of the sites I checked everyone is crying that he violated the Hatch Act.

Here are activities allowed under the Hatch Act.

Permitted Activities

Covered state and local employees may-

run for public office in nonpartisan elections
campaign for and hold office in political clubs and organizations
actively campaign for candidates for public office in partisan and nonpartisan elections
contribute money to political organizations and attend political fundraising functions

Here are the prohibited activities.

Prohibited Activities

Covered state and local employees may not-

be candidates for public office in a partisan election
use official authority or influence to interfere with or affect the results of an election or nomination
directly or indirectly coerce contributions from subordinates in support of a political party or candidate
that is where the violation comes in because it can be construed as using his official authority to influence, etc., etc.,

If he had appeared at the rally in shorts and a tshirt as Tom Whoever, private civilian, there would be no problem.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
that is where the violation comes in because it can be construed as using his official authority to influence, etc., etc.,

If he had appeared at the rally in shorts and a tshirt as Tom Whoever, private civilian, there would be no problem.
This line to me what allows it.

"actively campaign for candidates for public office in partisan and nonpartisan elections "

I believe this line, "use official authority or influence to interfere with or affect the results of an election or nomination", refers to things such as using himself and deputies to block the voting booths to some or to go in and start pulling out certain ballots.

Old 10-12-2008, 05:47 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,431,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
This line to me what allows it.

"actively campaign for candidates for public office in partisan and nonpartisan elections "

I believe this line, "use official authority or influence to interfere with or affect the results of an election or nomination", refers to things such as using himself and deputies to block the voting booths to some or to go in and start pulling out certain ballots.
Well Mike it isn't up to you or me to decide if the sheriff was wrong to wear his uniform to speak at a political rally. That's up to the judges. If they find him in the wrong the sheriif's office could lose $300,000 in federal grants.
He'll be responsible for losing that money that will have to come from taxpayers pockets.
I think people will remember that.
I saw him make the speech on TV and it was chilling to see the uniform being used in that way. Just plain wrong.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:21 AM

13,773 posts, read 34,625,485 times
I agree with TANaples... from what I saw on TV, it was because he wore his uniform which is a symbol of authority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area