U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 08:30 PM

4,678 posts, read 8,738,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
I find this absolutely hilarious. Sheriff Mike Scott is far from racist. This whole thing seems to have been kindled by reverse racism. Mike Scott was in uniform when he introduced Sarah Palin, but the uproar seemed to be due only to the fact that he mentioned Barrak Hussein Obama's legally given name. How is that racist? General Powell has a few more subordinates than a county sherriff, yet I've seen him on the Today show in uniform backing his political party. Did that violate the Hatch Act or is it racist? As a veteran, I'm uneasy with the notion that someone with known terrorist affiliations may end up in control of the White House. That does'nt make me a racist, it makes me prudent. Most Lee county residents, no matter what thier race feel uneasy knowing that the people responsible for the 911 attacks lived among us, while training at a flight school in our area; with the sole intention of murdering innocent people. So would you consider this racist, or cautious?
A name is a name. When you're born, You don't have a choice of what your parents name you and you also don't have a choice in the things your parents make you do. Obamas familty histories note that his father was no longer practicing muslim.

The Sheriff said his entire name to the crowd to give everyone the impression that he was/is muslim and knew it would cause a reaction racist ? no. Ignorant ? hell yes. The only reason they use that tactic is because they know that the American people as a whole are ignorant and will liken his name to Saddam Hussein.

I'm " uneasy " at the thought of 4 more years of typical GWB politics. I would also spin your quote about " I'm uneasy with the notion that someone with known terrorist affiliations may end up in control of the White House. " To the point of fighting a country that had nothing to do with the attacks most likley only to protect our oil interests or possibly to finish the job his father started. Either way, It's time for a change. Florida or not, Obama will take this election.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornInFL View Post
Not when we keep on getting more and more residents from the same places, your right. The people that I know and have lived here for yrs, or were born here, I can honestly think of very few that are rude, that's the truth.

Fl didnt create this "rude people" problem, it inherited it.
What part of the state are you from ? We seem to have two different experiences of the same place.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:39 PM

727 posts, read 1,666,500 times
The whole state is now filled with transplants, mostly from the NE. I know a lof of people (natives) to FL, and 9 times out of 10, they are nice, friendly, down to earth people. But as a whole (I live in Orlando unfortunately) most people I meet here are from elsewhere, and I find Orlando to be filled with some of the most rude, aggressive, annoying people I have ever been around. But like I said, most are not from FL.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornInFL View Post
The whole state is now filled with transplants, mostly from the NE. I know a lof of people (natives) to FL, and 9 times out of 10, they are nice, friendly, down to earth people. But as a whole (I live in Orlando unfortunately) most people I meet here are from elsewhere, and I find Orlando to be filled with some of the most rude, aggressive, annoying people I have ever been around. But like I said, most are not from FL.
Yeah, I was in Orlando two years ago on vacation and it's changed alot over the last 10 years alone.

I grew up in Tampa and I'd say towards the end around 98-99-00 the people went downhill fast. People would look right through you rather then say " please " or " thank you " I honestly think most people in Florida wouldn't waste a pee on you if you were on fire.

I had fun there as a kid, as an adult, I'm glad I'm gone.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:51 PM

727 posts, read 1,666,500 times
3 places I couldnt live in FL because of they way they turned out (they werent always like this... aka... they changed when all the new folks took over), and that is: South FL, Orlando, and Tampa. Unfortunately, I live in one of them. I remember when living in rural palm bch county was awesome, people waved to one another, were friendly, werent driving 65 mph in a 35 mph zone... man, FL was awesome back in the day...

Old 10-21-2008, 08:54 PM

1,643 posts, read 3,853,340 times
TNRyan23~ You know what terrifies me? having a dem President, a dem Senate and a dem House! No checks and balance is an open check book for spending, redistribution of wealth" and my taxes increasing.

I was moving to Florida to avoid taxes and now the taxes I am going to save by moving are going to only pay for part of the increase I will face. That is terrifying to me.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
I was moving to Florida to avoid taxes and now the taxes I am going to save by moving are going to only pay for part of the increase I will face. That is terrifying to me.
You know what terrifies me? Four or possibly Eight ( if he lives that long ) more years of the same Bush politics. The same politics that got us into the mess that we're in now. The only difference between this economy and the war is that Bush can't push off the blame on Clinton this time. McCain may want to continue his " I'm not GWB " speech until he's blue in the face but he said himself that he voted with " The President " 90% of the time and his politics will continue to ruin this country.

I hate to tell you this...

The ONLY way we are coming out of this mess is with a raise in taxes.

McCain would raise taxes just as much as Obama if not more. He won't come out and say it but atleast Obama will say as much and Atleast Obama will give MIDDLE CLASS people tax cuts rather then the rich getting richer. If I were you, I would be a little more concerned with Floridas economy then with the threat of rising taxes. Florida enjoys some of the highest housing taxes and insurance rates in the country. Just thank god that you're moving to a state with no state income tax.

That's my 2 cent.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:42 PM

Well, I humbly disagree because Dodd, Frank, Reid and Pelosi got us into this mess compliments of Carters Community Reinvestment Act. Loans given out to people who were not qualified. The Dems blocked reform everytime it came to the floor. Bush (and I am not a Bush person) tried in 2001 to get some sort of comtrol, then again in 2003, then McCain in 2005...all blocked by the Dems. AND basic Economics 100 would tell anyone it is a wrong move to raise taxes on ANYONE during a recession. There is no sense in throwing more money into the fire and now Pelosi has a 150 BILLION more on the table ready to get it passed.

I happen to be one of the ones that pay 75% of the taxes in this country and when the Bush tax cuts expire, that little move is going to cost me an extra $15,500 a year Not to mention this new increase that Barney Frank was slobbering over this AM.

We don't go out to eat, we drive 20K cars and have no kids. 2 professionals who went to college for what? to pay for yet more hand outs?

I don't know if you went to college or not but think about being in college and working hard for your grades and getting A's on your papers, etc. You don't go out and party, you just study. You pull a respectable 3.6 GPA....then you have the partiers, skipping school, sleeping in class,etc. How would you feel when it came time for graduation if they came to you and said "hey Ryan, I hope you don't mind but we are going to take 1/2 of your Credits you earned this year and share them with these other students who didn't do as well. You wouldn't mind, would you?"

Florida's economy will be destroyed if the taxes raise because Florida survives on tourist dollars and if the taxes are raised, vacations would be one of the first things that would be cut. It's just basic economics.

The last president that raised the taxes in a recession was faced with the results that were called " the great depression". Look it up

That's my 2 cents

Old 10-21-2008, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
I happen to be one of the ones that pay 75% of the taxes in this country and when the Bush tax cuts expire, that little move is going to cost me an extra $15,500 a year Not to mention this new increase that Barney Frank was slobbering over this AM.

We don't go out to eat, we drive 20K cars and have no kids. 2 professionals who went to college for what? to pay for yet more hand outs?

I don't know if you went to college or not but think about being in college and working hard for your grades and getting A's on your papers, etc. You don't go out and party, you just study. You pull a respectable 3.6 GPA....then you have the partiers, skipping school, sleeping in class,etc. How would you feel when it came time for graduation if they came to you and said "hey Ryan, I hope you don't mind but we are going to take 1/2 of your Credits you earned this year and share them with these other students who didn't do as well. You wouldn't mind, would you?"

Florida's economy will be destroyed if the taxes raise because Florida survives on tourist dollars and if the taxes are raised, vacations would be one of the first things that would be cut. It's just basic economics.

The last president that raised the taxes in a recession was faced with the results that were called " the great depression". Look it up

That's my 2 cents
I did graduate from Tennessee State University in Nashville. I am in construction management and my wife is currently taking classes in nursing. Our current annual income is roughly 50k. and with our bills, We are living paycheck to paycheck. I left Florida for a lack of schooling and a lack of jobs and affordability.

I don't want to sound rude or hateful but I honestly don't care that the rich and wealthy in this country will suffer because they have to pay the same taxes as everyone else. I was VERY upset with my local state representatives to congress for voting in favor of the wall street bailout plan and have even talked with Senator Bob Corker about it and he said that was just as upset about it as anyone else but that it was the only thing that could bail out the economy. The poor and the middle class are now bailing out the rich and greedy on Wall Street and for what ? So they can just get rich again ?

AIG gets bailed out and the next week they're all on a cruise ?

Florida is already in a bad place insofar as tourist dollars. Only the truly wealthy go on vacations these days. Florida has seen dramatic drops in tourism and the drops will only continue to get worse as the economy and Wall Street continue to slide. Florida needs to quit pouring money into the everglades and into million/billion dollar parks and renovations to parks and put that money back into the economy. Give tax breaks to large companies so that they're relocate to Florida and create higher paying jobs. What the hell exactly does the Florida Lottery pay for ?

I do like your arguments though, Ever think of running for office ? I know several small Florida towns that would love to have you as their mayor

Old 10-22-2008, 06:08 AM

Hi Ryan~
Well since you graduated, then you can understand what I mean about redistributing your good grades

We live paycheck to pay check also. The first year we got married and combined our incomes we had to put $27,000 on a credit card when tax day came because we owed way more then planned. We have no kids and pay every year. Now that we sold our home and are going to rent, we will lose our 1 deduction. So we wil have to claim single and no dependents. We too live paycheck to Paycheck. I think most people do no matter how much people make. But with the sharks at the end of the tank, what is the incentive anymore to get an education.

Yesterday when Barney Frank said they needed to jack the taxes way up and do more spending, I wanted to scream. The only additional money I am willing to give Barney and his band of goons is money for teeth. I will offer to buy him dentures so he can talk without sounding like he has his mouth full of sausages :X

They threw Martha Stewart in jail for getting a stop tip and yet that slobbering fool is free? He was in charge of over seeing a company whose CEO Barney was sleeping with for 10 yrs???It was over looked. He dated a hooker who ran a prostitution ring out of Franks home for years and it too was over looked????Hmmmm? Talk about double standards. They live by a whole different set of rules.

You are right, they are bailing out Wall Street and spending more. But, before you vote, do your homework and see who is really at the root of this. Don't listen to the media, research it yourself. This is a very important election. We are going to end up without a checks and balance system and that is beyond scary.

We need to cut all spending. Only the programs that assist the needy should stay. Even on the bail out they were loading it up with earmarks. Racetracks, wooden arrows, etc. Now Pelosi and her band of goons are licking their lips, waiting for Obama to get in so she can push through her 150 BILLION dollar rescue package. Scary? Yep!

You are correct in saying we need to give tax breaks to large companies. We have to do it to compete on an international level so they don't quit going overseas. We drive the companies away. People need to remember, big companies create jobs. Increase the tax and they will go to another country. It's simple.

We can't open our borders and shower them with hand outs, raise taxes on the Americans, raise taxes on big business, raise social security tax, raise capital gains tax,etc. This is nothing but a prescription for disaster.

Your plan to help Florida is exactly what they should do. The best way to stimulate growth is cut taxes and give future tax breaks and hold our leaders accountable with their spending. All government check books need to be on line. If these people we vote for knew that the voters would see the nonsense they spend their money on, I bet spending would cut way down.

Thanks for the debate This has been fun

BTW, I started out as an RN and then got my MBA. Tell your wife as soon as she gets her RN, keep taking classes so she can get into management or research. Then she will earn the $$$ and you two can join us in the "patriotic tax payers " (as Biden said)!

Have a great day It is COLD here! I need to move now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area