Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2008, 10:20 AM

403 posts, read 1,576,045 times

Advertisements

I've been looking at houses in the Cape and I noticed that almost all of their homes are identically styled. Does anyone know why, is it planning or the way the city tells people to build their houses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 10:29 AM

72 posts, read 226,366 times
I don't know, but I noticed that too.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:34 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,690,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwflconch View Post
is it planning or the way the city tells people to build their houses?

Partially. The developer/builders strive to give what most people want, which is a "split plan" meaning a master bdr with full bath on one end of the house, and two more bdrs that share a bath on the opposite side, with living/great room, kitchen and dining in the middle. City code dictates that all garages must be of the attached variety, which isnt really uncommon anywhere these days.
Some of these things were enacted after the initial building in the Cape. The earliest houses were predominantly two bedrooms with carports(1960's vintage) by the "70's many houses were built either two or three bedroom with one car attached garages, by the 1980's most were 3/2/2/ split plans, most familiar today. One of the popular styling cues of the '80's was the "sunken" living room. Once you start looking and learning you can pretty much tell, within a couple of years, when any givien house was built in the Cape.
I have heard, but not certain how true, that code also dictates that the identical exterior elevation must not appear more than every so often within a given distance from one another.(dont know the exact perameters) So while the floor plans, and square footage are likely to give a "similar" appearance to the houses, they should not appear "exactly" like their neighbor. HTH.

Last edited by Compression; 11-02-2008 at 07:47 AM..

Old 12-15-2008, 11:13 AM

16 posts, read 53,832 times
I own a home on The CAPE WITH A FALLOUT / BOMB SHELTER

how is that like every other house ??

Don't be so generalizing

THERE are more diverse styles of housing on Cape Coral than ANYWHERE IN Florida

Including Two and three stories / from 6 rooms to 30 rooms

Google "House on Cape Coral Fall Out Shelter"

Cape Coral is the 2nd biggest city in Florida Area wise

and 11th population It has only been in existence since 1957 and was the "Swamp land In Florida" everyone has heard of

It has over 400 miles of canals ( more than any other city on earth )

So there !!!!

Old 12-15-2008, 04:14 PM

1,023 posts, read 3,331,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGUY View Post
I own a home on The CAPE WITH A FALLOUT / BOMB SHELTER

how is that like every other house ??

Don't be so generalizing

THERE are more diverse styles of housing on Cape Coral than ANYWHERE IN Florida

Including Two and three stories / from 6 rooms to 30 rooms

Google "House on Cape Coral Fall Out Shelter"

Cape Coral is the 2nd biggest city in Florida Area wise

and 11th population It has only been in existence since 1957 and was the "Swamp land In Florida" everyone has heard of

It has over 400 miles of canals ( more than any other city on earth )

So there !!!!
I think the OP meant that most FL homes have a certain style that is very similar. If you go north, you'll drive down a street of very different homes. You don't get that in FL. Most of the homes are one story, CBC homes, with a center lanai porch in the back. It appears you are getting defensive of Cape Coral, and it isn't that anyone was insulting it. Just wondering why the construction is very similar in the homes.

FL homes lack much of the character a lot of people are used to in residential homes. It's a fact, not an insult. The bomb shelter is something your home has that others may not...but it doesn't give it character.

Last edited by LewLew; 12-15-2008 at 04:15 PM.. Reason: added
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area