Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 02:37 PM

6 posts, read 10,729 times

Advertisements

Hi...My husband and I are moving to the Naples, Fort Myers, cape Coral area in January or maybe even sooner?? I want to attend a school in Naples. Can anyone tell me which area has the cheaper housing (rent)?? Is the job market there as bad as Michigan? There are NO jobs here. Everyone I know is selling all their stuff just to get by. I am in the medical field (CNA) but not certified in FL. Have worked home health care and assisted living facilities though, where you do not need to be certified. My husband is a welder but is not certified...just has lots of experience. I will be attending school to be a nurse, but that won't be finished for another year. We are moving regardless because there is nothing here and I mean NOTHING. We have vacationed there alot and love the area. Just hoping we will get by there better than we do here now. Any advice??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 02:40 PM

1,286 posts, read 2,916,351 times
jobs are scarce right now. fort myers/cape coral are the cheapest to rent. i would recommend fort myers over the cape tho. depends how cheap you want to go.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:56 PM

1,380 posts, read 5,927,712 times
If you're going to school in Naples then you want to look at Bonita or Golden Gate for affordable rentals. Bonita would place you between Naples and Ft Myers giving you a larger job market without having to drive a great distance.
North Naples used to be affordable and may be again, but I moved from Naples back in 2000 and have lost touch with the current pricing. The drive from Ft Myers to Naples can be tough through season.
Jobs are hard to come by since construction stopped. Good Luck

Old 11-20-2008, 03:34 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,727,435 times
If your husband has his own welding equipment, and isnt shy about "beating the bushes" for work, he'd likely be able to turn up some odd jobs here and there. But I doubt there's anything "steady".
Home health care seems to be a fairly steady line of work in these parts, although I dont really know much about the "certification " requirements, etc.
I came from MI myself, and still have friends and family there. This area is every bit, if not more so, as depressed as MI is when it comes to job market. If you could stick to a bigger area, like Tampa, or Orlando, even Sarasota would probably give better prospects of finding work, than SW FL will right now. The best I can offer is, at least you wont freeze to death on the street here. Good Luck!

Old 11-20-2008, 04:28 PM

3,417 posts, read 7,787,128 times
What school in Naples? We can help you with housing ideas.

What is your housing budget? Do you have kids?

A friend of mine just graduated from LPN school here and had a terrible time getting a job. Finally found one in a physician office.

You asked for advice so here goes....

Your post screams at me: don't move to Naples under your current circumstances. You have no jobs, housing or family support. Living here is TOTALLY different than vacationing here. Housing in Naples has always been expensive. It is down a lot now with the economy, but it is still more expensive than other areas in Florida. Naples is a town for wealthy retirees, run by wealthy retirees. Yacht is right. You would be better off in a more populated area. Naples is not a good "start over" place, even with a good economy.

That said, if you are coming no matter what post more details as what you are looking for. We'll do our best to help.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:29 PM

6 posts, read 10,729 times
Thanks for all the advice....does not sound promising. We just got married in Sept. and have gotten pretty good at "surviving" with no money. I went through a divorce 3 years ago and as a result have horrible credit. His isn't so hot either. What I am looking for is simply a place to rent...don't care where it is (for up to 800 a month), we don't have any children, a job for each of us that will get us by (we live pretty cheap) and sunshine. The school is Lorenzo walker I believe. Quick LPN program and I am certain I can find a job with that. I know there are plenty of nursing homes there and that's where I want to work. My husband will do whatever, he just likes the welding field and is good at it. Once again thanks....are any others better with the job situation??

Old 11-20-2008, 06:15 PM

3,417 posts, read 7,787,128 times
More bad news....Lorenzo Walker is the school my friend went to.

I'm not sure with prices but you have a lot of options that are near the school. I would consider renting a condo. Apartment complexes in Naples are mostly ghetto. Any of those gated communities along Davis Blvd will be fine. Pine Ridge and Airport would be OK also.

There are plenty of nursing homes. Maybe things will improve when the economy does. You are close to the industrial park off Airport Road. Maybe hubby could find some work in there.

Have you looked in the paper? Naples Daily News : News, Weather and Entertainment for Southwest Florida

Old 11-21-2008, 10:12 AM

376 posts, read 1,809,193 times
Please reconsider and listen to what the previous posters have said.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:57 PM

19 posts, read 329,011 times
There are places in Naples cheap to rent and are decent enough .I've seen houses to rent for $800.. The Oasis apartments are nice and are under $800. Is your husband willing to branch out of his field? The Collier County Sheriffs office is hiring for 911 dispatchers and the starting pay is quite decent. Enough to live here, and NCH is hiring for Unit Secretaries and other clerical. Check there first

Old 11-21-2008, 08:00 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,283,332 times
dont sign any leases and stay month to month. get your certifications and be prepared to relocate within the state

even better, rent something dirt dirt cheap in a snowbird manufactured home park inland to avoid getting busted financially and having to take a bus back up north

or buy some vacant land, going cheap, that you can move a trailer onto and plant a garden and get some chickens and a goat

network network, learn spanish

as others have said, orlando or tampa may be better. stay flexible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area