Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 01:18 PM

374 posts, read 792,515 times

Advertisements

Pittsburgh is definitely a small home town secret. Most people have a bad opinion about this city... They still envision it from the 70's...dirty/smoky/steel town. it is actually the opposite. It is now a hub for medical technology. The river side steel mills are now gone and replaced by condos and wonderful outdoor riverside walking malls with tree-lined parks. The schools are out of this world for the most part...but it does lack one thing. Sun! LOL On average we only get 32 FULL days of sun in an entire year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 03:52 PM

1,023 posts, read 3,330,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Paradise View Post
Pittsburgh is definitely a small home town secret. Most people have a bad opinion about this city... They still envision it from the 70's...dirty/smoky/steel town. it is actually the opposite. It is now a hub for medical technology. The river side steel mills are now gone and replaced by condos and wonderful outdoor riverside walking malls with tree-lined parks. The schools are out of this world for the most part...but it does lack one thing. Sun! LOL On average we only get 32 FULL days of sun in an entire year.
People have the same negative perception of Cleveland. Guess you have to really live somewhere to know it for real.

Old 01-24-2010, 03:57 PM

1,023 posts, read 3,330,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobums View Post
as stated elsewhere in this chat, gates only keep out the least ambitious criminals.

Congrats, Florida Paradise, on finding a home down here. We moved a year and a half ago from an area about an hour and a half south of Pittsburg. P- Burg is where we did the major shopping, IKEA, real mall etc etc. That city smartly redesigned itself after steel left. Now, it is a desirable place to live.
We used to live down there, and didn't have gates. I felt more secure in my neighborhood than in some of the gated communities.
Also, my friends live in a gated community with a pseudo guard house that is constantly vacant. The FUNNIEST part of the whole thing is that if you walk around the big huge stone pillars behind the 2 trees on either side of them, you are in the neighborhood. Guess only the automobile criminals have issues. You are right twobums...only the least ambitious are deterred.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:36 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,033,362 times
I don't know. A lot of people know about Pittsburg. It's constantly touted. I seriously considered moving there, a few years ago. It was Knoxville, Omaha or Pittsburg.

Pittsburg is the only city to finish in the top 20 of every edition of Places Rated Almanac. It was picked as number one most liveable city, last year, in The Economist.

I don't know much about Cleveland, LewLew, but I am sure that it is lovely. I have a foster sister that has lived in Cincinatti since college, 30 years ago, and she will never leave. She loves it.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:38 PM

374 posts, read 792,515 times
A lot of Cleveland is severely distressed. We actually do all our business in the Cleveland area. I think Cleveland and Pittsburgh used to be similar (distressed and dirty) but Cleveland got left behind. I was there a few weeks ago, and most of the mills and industry are closed and falling down. It is sad.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:40 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,328,844 times
Gates keep out the looky-loos, the panderers, the joy riders who like to smash mailboxes, and the girl scout cookies. They don't keep out criminals but I'll take the gate over the no gate anytime.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:51 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,594,961 times
Default True

Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
Gates keep out the looky-loos, the panderers, the joy riders who like to smash mailboxes, and the girl scout cookies. They don't keep out criminals but I'll take the gate over the no gate anytime.
It gives some a sense of security. My front gate you cannot get through without a code. However, the back gate has bushes by the gate and anyone can simply walk through the bushes if they want. My husband has walked his bike many times through the bushes. Bottom line, if you really want to get through, you can find a way.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:04 PM

681 posts, read 877,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Bottom line, if you really want to get through, you can find a way.
When Sherrill Huff went to bed, his 52-foot, $450,000 yacht Splash was docked along a canal in back of his Cape Coral house.
When he awoke the next morning, it was gone.

Huff’s yacht was the second large boat in just over a week stolen in Cape Coral.

http://www.news-press.com/article/20...8078/1003/ACC/

Old 01-29-2010, 08:10 PM

201 posts, read 608,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
Oh yea! All great reasons. Especially those Girl Scouts pushing those evil mint cookies.and ye gads...another looky-loo problem nipped in the bud

Old 01-31-2010, 07:11 PM

133 posts, read 281,182 times
Of course the keys weren't in it.thank god the sheriff had insurance.those dang cubansgood thing the police investigatedi would have thought it might betoo funny1/2 million dollar yacht owned by sheriffno way is the sheriffi think i might be aye leons who married them coo banstoo funny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area