Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2009, 10:42 AM

192 posts, read 721,634 times

Advertisements

If you have been running the AC 24/7 since 2006, and have had zero AC coil failures, and the copper in the indoor unit still looks good, you sound in the clear.

Even a 4000 sq ft, 2005 home with the bad board used in just one room, has had at least 2 AC coil failures.

2006 homes where it was used in 1/3 of the home- throughout, have replaced anywhere from 3-8 coils by now.

It's the common thread and if your place has gone this long without one corroded coil, it doesn't sound like any of the sulfur gases are coming out of the drywall in your place.

A look into a 2006 home with the bad drywall will show repeated AC coil failures, blackened copper wiring, lights flickering, outlets no longer working, smoke detector randomly going off for no reason ( wiring going bad), chronic new electronic and appliance failures, black pitted corrosion on bathroom metals, and corrosion behind bathrooms mirrors.

Chronic health symptoms can include- headaches, migraines, sore throat, raspy voice, lyringitis, bronchitis, asthma, pulmonary edema(lungs filling with fluid), heart arythmias, sinus infections, sinus allergy attacks, eye infections(pink eye), chronic colds, insomnia, bloody noses, fatigue/lethargy, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, tightening in the chest, heightened allergy sensitivity to anything, irritated eyes, burning sensation in eyes,nose, throat lungs, depression/mood swings, mental fog/confusion, problems with balance, problems with memory.

This symptoms become new and chronic for a person after moving into the home, and most are relieved, when the person leaves the place for an extended time, such as going on vacation. The symptoms come back, when they return.

Of course, there is the smell, but not everyone can smell it, and for many they describe the smell differently. In part that can be from different chemical makeups of different bad board from different manufacturers. Some can have the rotten egg smell, others smell of burnt matches, some smell like spoiled milk or sweet vinegar. In a 2006 home or earlier, it is so pungent by now, it will hit most people with a good sense of smell like a brick wall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 08:00 AM

681 posts, read 884,114 times
HomeStager, your posts are helping many people. Thank you!

Old 06-15-2009, 12:56 PM

8 posts, read 19,414 times
To all,

My thanks for a most informative thread. A question, can anyone recommend a home inspector in the CC area that may be trusted to represent the buyer with respect to a thorough chinese drywall test? As Homestager has advised, the inspector should inspect outlets throughout the house at a minimum.

My dilemma is that the house I am interested in is advertised as "new construction" but the builder actually bought a shell and finished the buildout. I am waiting on his reponse to certifying the house as "chinese drywall free". However, erring on the side of caution, I also want a competent inspection. I'm not from the area and need to rely on a professional's inspection.

I don't think the airconditioning unit or appliances, being new,will show signs but the outlet wiring should if it is present.

Thanks in advance!

Dutch

Old 06-16-2009, 01:34 AM

64 posts, read 79,751 times
An A+ for you for reading HomeStage posts. Good start.

Chinese dry walls especially like international buyers as they do not know , yet, about environmental problems of some Cape Coral homes.
Because you have doubts, you are extra careful as with Chinese dry wall the value of your house falls to ZERO.

Finding good inspectors seems to be difficult, unless you contact lawyers who are involved in Chinese dry wall class action law suits. May be you can ask which inspectors they use.
Chinese dry wall inspectors are facing health problems themselves. If you ask out of state and out of country inspectors to come, it is only fair and human to caution them what dangers they might face by sniffing around. I think, if you do not tell them, they can actually sue you, which I think is right to do.

By the way, welcome to Cape Coral!

Last edited by aidaolympia; 06-16-2009 at 01:54 AM..

Old 06-17-2009, 11:05 AM

11 posts, read 35,684 times
Angry drywall

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeStager View Post
If you have been running the AC 24/7 since 2006, and have had zero AC coil failures, and the copper in the indoor unit still looks good, you sound in the clear.

Even a 4000 sq ft, 2005 home with the bad board used in just one room, has had at least 2 AC coil failures.

2006 homes where it was used in 1/3 of the home- throughout, have replaced anywhere from 3-8 coils by now.

It's the common thread and if your place has gone this long without one corroded coil, it doesn't sound like any of the sulfur gases are coming out of the drywall in your place.

A look into a 2006 home with the bad drywall will show repeated AC coil failures, blackened copper wiring, lights flickering, outlets no longer working, smoke detector randomly going off for no reason ( wiring going bad), chronic new electronic and appliance failures, black pitted corrosion on bathroom metals, and corrosion behind bathrooms mirrors.

Chronic health symptoms can include- headaches, migraines, sore throat, raspy voice, lyringitis, bronchitis, asthma, pulmonary edema(lungs filling with fluid), heart arythmias, sinus infections, sinus allergy attacks, eye infections(pink eye), chronic colds, insomnia, bloody noses, fatigue/lethargy, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, tightening in the chest, heightened allergy sensitivity to anything, irritated eyes, burning sensation in eyes,nose, throat lungs, depression/mood swings, mental fog/confusion, problems with balance, problems with memory.

This symptoms become new and chronic for a person after moving into the home, and most are relieved, when the person leaves the place for an extended time, such as going on vacation. The symptoms come back, when they return.

Of course, there is the smell, but not everyone can smell it, and for many they describe the smell differently. In part that can be from different chemical makeups of different bad board from different manufacturers. Some can have the rotten egg smell, others smell of burnt matches, some smell like spoiled milk or sweet vinegar. In a 2006 home or earlier, it is so pungent by now, it will hit most people with a good sense of smell like a brick wall.
Well I have not been logging on lately, but I thought I would let you know the lartest news with our Senator Dennis Jones.He has sent us eviction papers and still refuses to make any repairs to the home. I cannot believe this man will go in to court and tell a judge that we have been in contact with him about this since December and he has refused to be of any help.His eviction is a retaliatory eviction and I cant imagine that he will win .I am angry at the fact that we have to pay to put money into the clerk of courts for past rent,this even though we have spent 75% of the time out of the home. We have had to pay to help my mom when we stayed with her. This Senator received a 7 day notice to make repairs back in February and he has done nothing.I am sure that he wants us out so he can rent the propery again.I amgoing to contact the national news outlets and hope that they will do a story, but I am not holding my breath on that one. I will do everything in my power to make sure that all of his constituents know what he has failed to do. I will not go away quietly.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:28 PM

192 posts, read 721,634 times
CNN just did another report on it a few weeks ago. It was extra contraversial because they covered a story of American made synthetic gypsum drywall, accused of causing the same prblems the chinese drywall is causing.

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

I am aware of others complaing of the same from this company. One little boy who had to move out and away from his friends, even made a you-tube video warning others about drywall from there.

As time goes on, anyone with a clue, will realize, there is a very serious problem with using the toxic waste from coal fired power plants, to make wall board.

It all started because our EPA came down on the plants for what was being released into the air from the stacks and havoc reaked from regular land fill spills.

So, now they have several different methods to capture the toxic waste. The EPA further applauded the use of it being recycled into construction materials, starting with concrete. Synthetic gypsum is an inconsistant product, I am learning, with heavy metal and sulfur compounds content levels varying, depending on the plants it came from, coal burned, type of neutralizing slurry used and time of year.

If any independent investigator or government agency is doing a fully comprehnsive job, they will be testing U.S. made synthetic gypsum board as well as China made, where it is causing problems and it's off gassing potential for heavy metal vapors. They can cause most all of the same exposure symptoms the sulfur compounds do, and worse, more quickly.

Some heavy metals found in flysash are mercury, lead, arsenic, thalium, cadmium and selenium to name a few.

Mercury vapors can cause a metalic taste in the mouth and that is something many people going into these homes have been describing. A study done as recent as 2005 was aimed towards figuring out what to do about the mercury in the synthetic wall board making process. Sadly their concern was only for what would escape into the atmosphere during the manufacturing process and whenever it found it's way into a landfill. No mention or care for vapors released into homes and comercial buildings while in use.

Could be because the EPA only deals with what goes into the atmosphere, not our homes, and comercial buildings.

China learned this grab it in a scrubber, recycle the toxic waste into drywall process from the U.S. It's all a relatively recent new process. U.S. manufacturing of synthetic gypsum didn't even get up to 36% of all U.S. drywall produced until 2005.

Anyway, not only can the hydrogen sulfide be a potential cause of your sons seizure, so can chronic exposure to a lead vapor.

The problem with otherwise stable heavy metals, is that, it is in the board along with sulfur compunds, that when met with mositure, create sulfuric acid. The acid, will then release vapors from any metals that may be in the board. Mercury definetely is. I am still trying to find anything that says any of the other heavy metals were removed from the flyash and how, before it went into the wall board. So far nothing, and I have been researching for dozens of hours. I suspect for now, they are in the junk wall too.

This is what happens when acid rain, meets rocks in lakes that contain heavy metals. They are then leeched into the lake.

I can not find anyone who even tested for this off gassing from the bad board yet, and or release of heavy metal particulate matter for those installing or taking it down. Inhalation of vapor or particulate matter can be worse with many of these because from the lungs, it goes staright into the blood stream and tissues and organs. When ingested, not as much ends up in the blood stream.

Anyway, I am glad to hear you've been staying with your mom and mostly got yourselves out of there. I think CNN may be VERY interested in your story. Most all of us here have been.

For anyone with it, reading here, if you have an Attorney, I strongly suggest that you get them to test for the heavy metal content I listed, and any vapor release under humid conditions.

It needs to be investigated because it is a known fact those toxic heavy metals are found in flyash, and flyash is used to make synthetic gypsum. I think further investigation is required to rule it out, or include it in with what is causing the health problems for people in these homes.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:40 PM

57 posts, read 76,065 times
HomeStager, another super post. Thank you.

Wall Street Journal, 6.3.2009 reported that based on NewsInferno :

Punta Gorda Isles has Chinese dry walls in: Magdalena Gardens and in Luxury Vivante Condominium Complex

Boca Lago has Chinese dry wall in Vivante Complex

Tests have been done. Pretty sad situation!

Old 06-18-2009, 09:03 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austingirl39 View Post
Well I have not been logging on lately, but I thought I would let you know the lartest news with our Senator Dennis Jones.He has sent us eviction papers and still refuses to make any repairs to the home. I cannot believe this man will go in to court and tell a judge that we have been in contact with him about this since December and he has refused to be of any help.His eviction is a retaliatory eviction and I cant imagine that he will win .I am angry at the fact that we have to pay to put money into the clerk of courts for past rent,this even though we have spent 75% of the time out of the home. We have had to pay to help my mom when we stayed with her. This Senator received a 7 day notice to make repairs back in February and he has done nothing.I am sure that he wants us out so he can rent the propery again.I amgoing to contact the national news outlets and hope that they will do a story, but I am not holding my breath on that one. I will do everything in my power to make sure that all of his constituents know what he has failed to do. I will not go away quietly.
Did you contact the local newspaper like I suggested?

Old 06-18-2009, 11:05 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samjune2009 View Post
HomeStager, another super post. Thank you.

Wall Street Journal, 6.3.2009 reported that based on NewsInferno :

Punta Gorda Isles has Chinese dry walls in: Magdalena Gardens and in Luxury Vivante Condominium Complex

Boca Lago has Chinese dry wall in Vivante Complex

Tests have been done. Pretty sad situation!
Seeing that we lived in one of those complexes...

Old 06-19-2009, 01:20 AM

57 posts, read 76,065 times
121804, very happy to know that you are O.K.

Last edited by samjune2009; 06-19-2009 at 01:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area