Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2009, 07:22 AM

212 posts, read 699,740 times

Advertisements

I guess i have missed it.Thankfully i saw it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 12:38 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandinmyshoes View Post
I guess i have missed it.Thankfully i saw it here.
That's happened to me too. When I was working 12 hour days, I sometimes missed major world events! Also, sometimes the news is just too darn depressing.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:56 AM

199 posts, read 528,407 times
Did just builders use this Chinese drywall or could you buy it from Lowes, Home Depot?

Old 04-16-2009, 06:40 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,090,600 times
supposedly it was only the very large builders that had their own supply lines and not sold at home depot's or lowes. but sometimes the large builders would subcontract so even if a home was built by a smaller builder it still could have gotten it's supplies from the large ones

Old 04-16-2009, 08:28 AM

11 posts, read 35,689 times
If it is possible to get information from you concerning the pro wall drywall I would really appreciate it. I am living in a home wioth the same drywall in the north cape and our senator landlord refuses to admit that the drywall is defective.My e mail is austingirl39@hotmail.com any info appreciated. thanks

Old 04-16-2009, 08:35 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,090,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austingirl39 View Post
If it is possible to get information from you concerning the pro wall drywall I would really appreciate it. I am living in a home wioth the same drywall in the north cape and our senator landlord refuses to admit that the drywall is defective.My e mail is austingirl39@hotmail.com any info appreciated. thanks
just out of curiosity, why do you think it is defective?

Old 04-19-2009, 04:00 PM

1 posts, read 4,312 times
Default Good ventilation may help.

I am sorry the buider has let you down. While you work on sorting out the problem (having the bad drywall replaced by good stuff), you may consider this: most houses in Florida do not have a ventilation system, that is, the airco simply circulates the same air, a ventilation unit is normally optional and not included in the typical system. Even the air from the kitchen is not blown out, it is simply filtered. If you have a proper ventilation system installed, such that at least one third of the air is replaced every hour, you should notice some improvement. An optional ventilation unit of the airco system will add fresh air to the airflow in the airhandler. You could also consider additionaly blowing out air from the kitchen ventilator and possibly from the bathrooms. The additional ventilation will increase your airco bill, but your health and well-being is more important of course. With time, the emissions of sulphur should go down, but who knows how long it will take.

I have recently bought a house from First Home Builders of Florida, this builder is not mentioned connection with Chinese drywall, until recently when I discovered a foreclosed house built in 2006 where the seller (a bank) declares that the house has Chinese drywall. I guess a lot of builders have used the toxic drywall and in many cases without knowing what material was built into their houses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rene galvin View Post
Our home also has Chinese Drywall. We settled in 2006 and our punch sheet which we found has smell written on it.Also during our punch sheet the mirrors had turned black, and drains were also black. The builder Taylor Morrison took care of this under the warranty, however they did not think there was a smell.We only use this home in the winter, but that does not make it any less important to us. We try and come as often as possible, and it was our "happy" place. Two days ago after confirmation of Chinese Drywall, we vacated our home.The smell is not so much like rotten eggs to me. It was more like a wood burning or maybe a varnish smell.I kept thinking something was dead in the walls.When we returned this Oct. the smell was as strong as ever, and our mirrors had all turned black again, our drains all pitted again, and our new TV and computer had gone bad.We left to return in Dec. and when company came over, she said, you had better check for Chinese Drywall.Because I had never heard of it, I decided to call the builder. After three calls none of which were returned, I went home for a few days, and returned in January, and called the corporate office. We had all been noticing scratchy throats, burning of the eyes, and also nasal drip and headaches.Taylor Morrison sent out three men on the morning of the 2nd of February. They said it was their first complaint, however this is not true. There is a girl who complained some time ago, only to be told they would put in a air purification system.These three men said they had never heard of it, and they only use good materials. Read their web site, FALSE ADVERTISING at its best.I told them my daughter and i needed to be relocated immediately. Taylor Morrison has many empty homes that should not be effected.Taylor Morrison then called me and said they had no proof it was a health hazard and did not believe i had Chinese Drywall. They told me they had not used it.I then called the Health Dept to find out that there was a simply way of testing to verify you may have it.That is to pull off an outlet and if the cooper wire is black, chances are very good you have Chinese Drywall.The outlet was pulled the wire black. The fact the air conditioner had failed also pointed to a problem.After finding a black wire, I called Taylor Morrison with my findings and told them to come look. I had company, and I will tell you they were simply appalled at the statements made by their company repBirch from Taylor Morrison said he smelled it but that it was again probably not Chinese Drywall. My friends told him we were being poisioned. I contacted the law offices I saw who were handling cases. Ultimately I chose Richard Serpe of Virginia. I again contacted Taylor Morrison this time calling the CEO directly. This time i got her assistant who while having a sympathic ear, said she could only relay the messages. She said the CEO of the Southwest Division would call me.HE did not . I told Dawn the assistant we needed to be relocated. She said she would again relay it.I also then got a call from the CEO of the SW division who said that it was not dangerous. I hung up.Taylor Morrison does not care, their web site is false, and they left me in harms way. Anything that shuts down TV's, ruins mirrors, and pits metal can not be good for you.Further, I believe the state of Florida should condemn all of these homes until proven they are SAFE! Why are we waiting to prove they are not.Two days ago, an investigator with my attorneys office and an engineer came and spent six hours in my home. He is an expert and immediately identified the smell. However being a scientist, he pulled samples from outlets and the AC.After gaining much of his evidence, labeling it, and taking photos and videos, the said he really needed a piece of drywall. Knauf Tianjin was making much of what was being found to be defective. After cutting into the wall, and putting his scope in, he found a big piece with the name Knauf Tianjin very big on the boards.I cried and am still in shock. I am worried about my health and my families health. We immediately vacated the premises. We are now in Naples at friends trying to find a rental in high season. I need to be here to move our things out, and to be available . We have friends with plane tickets coming and we have no home. My business is internet out of my home and I can not work. I have lost sleep and am writing this at 2 am. I am worried about our health, and do not know what to do next. Our homes, all of us with Chinese Drywall have a very big problem. They need to be plowed to the ground. Their value is nothing. Even if the unit is gutted out, forever we must disclose if we sell that the homes have Chinese Drywall.The state needs to step up. Our builder Taylor Morrison has treated us as if we are a thorn in their side, and has done nothing. In fact they said it would be two weeks to be tested something I had done within in 24 hours. They would not have anyone call who did not say they did not use Chinese Drywall.The CEO Sheryl Palmer would not return my calls. Her assistant said she knows about it, and can not help me, because they have to help anyone the same.What I know is the engineer who is testing daily said he had never seen it that bad.I hope we all get help, and someone helps us.Taylor Morrison used sub standard materials and then told me to deal with it.Now the attorneys get rich, all around the country, but at least they protect us.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:22 PM

283 posts, read 652,752 times
[quote=albertsson;8417767]I am sorry the buider has let you down. While you work on sorting out the problem (having the bad drywall replaced by good stuff), you may consider this: most houses in Florida do not have a ventilation system, that is, the airco simply circulates the same air, a ventilation unit is normally optional and not included in the typical system. Even the air from the kitchen is not blown out, it is simply filtered. If you have a proper ventilation system installed, such that at least one third of the air is replaced every hour, you should notice some improvement. An optional ventilation unit of the airco system will add fresh air to the airflow in the airhandler. You could also consider additionaly blowing out air from the kitchen ventilator and possibly from the bathrooms. The additional ventilation will increase your airco bill, but your health and well-being is more important of course. With time, the emissions of sulphur should go down, but who knows how long it will take.

I have recently bought a house from First Home Builders of Florida, this builder is not mentioned connection with Chinese drywall, until recently when I discovered a foreclosed house built in 2006 where the seller (a bank) declares that the house has Chinese drywall. I guess a lot of builders have used the toxic drywall and in many cases without knowing what material was built into their houses.

Has anyone done any research on Chinese drywall? Since it is such a big problem, you would think that someone would have done a scientific study. It would be interesting to know
1) If the gasses this material emits weaken over time and how long it would take for the gasses to drop to zero.
2) A scientific study of the compounds emitted and chemical reactions which occur.
3) Potential health effects on humans and animals. If the compounds emitted are known, it would provide a clue as to biological effects
4) Since the Chinese sold this stuff to us, has it also been installed in China and what problems, if any, have they experienced with it
If more were known, it would be easier for people to make educated determinations on what they needed to do with their properties. It could potentially be very dangerous or perhaps what is happening is an overreaction. I know if I had bought one of these homes, I would want some answers.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:20 PM

11 posts, read 35,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
just out of curiosity, why do you think it is defective?
I guess I used the wrong term. I know the drywall is tainted and I have already had testing done, of course at my expense not the landlord. I guess my mistake was thinking that I could trust a senator.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:49 PM

192 posts, read 721,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austingirl39 View Post
I guess I used the wrong term. I know the drywall is tainted and I have already had testing done, of course at my expense not the landlord. I guess my mistake was thinking that I could trust a senator.

You are renting a place with toxic chinese drywall from a Senator?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area