Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 05:41 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundwave802002 View Post
LHA is not all bad. Every area has it's bad parts. Houses are cheap. Mostly because of the Chinese drywall issue. So be careful. If you want an all white neighborhood with no diversity, then go to the Cape. But for me personally, I like diversity.
Although I agree that no city is all bad, I don't think this is a Black or White issue. I also like cultural diversity, but I want to feel safe in my own home. I never lived in Lehigh, so I can't personally say it's dangerous. However, the nightly news seems to report violent crimes there all the time and when the crimes aren't in Lehigh, it seems as if they're committed by someone who lives in Lehigh. If you live there and you're happy, then that's all that matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 07:14 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundwave802002 View Post
LHA is not all bad. Every area has it's bad parts. Houses are cheap. Mostly because of the Chinese drywall issue. So be careful. If you want an all white neighborhood with no diversity, then go to the Cape. But for me personally, I like diversity.
No. They are not cheap "mostly because of the Chinese drywall issue." They are cheap because it is Lehigh Acres. It has always been the cheapest in the area, minus the ghetto, even before the criminals moved in and the housing boom busted.

It has always been about the location.

During the boom, it became the last place that had low prices, relatively speaking. So the ne'er-do-wells moved in. Then the bust came and the prices dropped, and more came.

It has nothing to do with diversity. Not all areas have "bad parts." I live in a diverse area but everyone here works, keeps their home clean and looking nice. It is a quite pleasant neighborhood that is very desirable. And it is very diverse. Imagine that.

"Everywhere has bad areas" and "diversity" are the buzz phrases used when someone is trying to convince themselves that they haven't made a mistake. Or they want to sell their house.

"Chinese drywall" is a new one. Chinese drywall is not going to bring the neighborhood down. One house can have it and not another. It can be in a house in a high-dollar subdivision. Property value will only go down on that house.

A gang living in a house will bring down the entire neighborhood, along with other things.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:28 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
I wonder if all the neighbors were giggling and munching on chocolate covered doughnuts.

[URL="http://www.winknews.com/news/local/67826542.html"]Lehigh Acres fire leads to grow house discovery | WINK News - News, Sports and Weather - Southwest Florida | Local & Florida[/URL]

Old 11-09-2009, 09:44 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I wonder if all the neighbors were giggling and munching on chocolate covered doughnuts.

Lehigh Acres fire leads to grow house discovery | WINK News - News, Sports and Weather - Southwest Florida | Local & Florida
Hilarious! What about the firefighters!

Old 11-24-2013, 06:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,631 times
Moved to Lehigh feb 1 2013 and on July 4th my house was robbed everything stolen TV computer money safe etc, police suck took them over 2 hours to get here and almost 6 month later they haven't found the person, the crooks left blood and prints and nothing been done, I bought a gun and bored my windows , and got a rental ins don't move to Lehigh ,, even gateway has seen there a share of homes getting robbed

Old 01-23-2015, 06:58 AM

6,620 posts, read 5,006,134 times
I have a relative that wants to move to Lehigh acres, I only been there a handful of times to work on news reports about the housing crisis and how Lehigh was ground zero, at any rate my recollection was very run down, lots of abandoned houses which some had been sacked (missing Windows, ac condenser etc), I imagine that was Rock bottom for the community, I am looking for any current insight of Lehigh, how is doing now.

Old 01-23-2015, 04:26 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
I have a relative that wants to move to Lehigh acres, I only been there a handful of times to work on news reports about the housing crisis and how Lehigh was ground zero, at any rate my recollection was very run down, lots of abandoned houses which some had been sacked (missing Windows, ac condenser etc), I imagine that was Rock bottom for the community, I am looking for any current insight of Lehigh, how is doing now.

Still the dump it was back then.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:50 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,440,025 times
Watch the Fort Myers news. Shooting -Lehigh. Robbery - Lehigh. Murder-Lehigh. You can count the odds that over 90% of the crime stories, especially violent crime, comes out of Lehigh.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:32 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,525,090 times
We bought a lot there in '05/'06 for about 24K, we thought that its land how can you lose, today it's worthless. Back then it was up and coming, new shopping centers were being built, nice houses, a diverse population of Europeans, retirees, and young families who were priced out of Ft. Myers. What a shame.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:54 PM

605 posts, read 711,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
We bought a lot there in '05/'06 for about 24K, we thought that its land how can you lose, today it's worthless. Back then it was up and coming, new shopping centers were being built, nice houses, a diverse population of Europeans, retirees, and young families who were priced out of Ft. Myers. What a shame.
My Dad bought there in '92 (I think). And it was exactly as you described - very nice. What happened?? I don't exactly understand what happened there....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area