Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 08:58 AM

5 posts, read 27,403 times

Advertisements

Is there a way for me to check if the second story of a home is concrete block or wood frame? An inspector said my home is 50/50 concrete block/wood frame but he never inspected the inside of the home or attic. The neighbors say all homes in the neighborhood are concrete block and built better than the building codes. How do I check? The inspector won't come back out without me paying again - even though he didn't thoroughly inspect the first time. But that's another issue to deal with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 10:36 AM

2,141 posts, read 6,904,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talascha View Post
Is there a way for me to check if the second story of a home is concrete block or wood frame? An inspector said my home is 50/50 concrete block/wood frame but he never inspected the inside of the home or attic. The neighbors say all homes in the neighborhood are concrete block and built better than the building codes. How do I check? The inspector won't come back out without me paying again - even though he didn't thoroughly inspect the first time. But that's another issue to deal with.
Look at the windows, With block the windows will sit in about 4"looking at them from the outside of the home, With wood frame the windows will sit almost flush.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:48 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,926,587 times
Firemed is correct, that with a second story of 2x4 construction the depth of the windows is usually a give-a-way. If however the second story construction was 2x6 then the depth is less obvious.
You could check using a 5" finishing nail. If it's block then the nail will hit block and you will know.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:14 AM

1,024 posts, read 3,342,011 times
I don't think there are many 2 story homes that are completely block. Most usual are the 50/50 homes. It's cheaper construction, and less likelihood for structural issues with the integrity of the home.

There is nothing wrong with having a 2 story in FL with upper portion being frame.

Old 11-29-2009, 02:44 AM

1 posts, read 11,520 times
Hi, can anybody help me ? I'm building a 2 story 50/50 home with only a 24 x 23 rectangle structure and no rooms to maximize my space but I need a basic set of blue prints to use as a reference guide so that I can know what is code. The structure is 9' high walls on the 1st floor and 9' high on the second floor. Please help me by sending any usefull tips to my email address at [email]Charles-rosa@hotmail.com[/email] ( This will be greatly appreciated ). No information will be to little to help thanks a Million. By the way when I say 50/50 I mean 1st floor made of Block and 2nd floor of wood 2 x4 frame. Also can an exterior wall be made of 2 x 4's or is it code to go with 2 x 6's ?

Old 11-29-2009, 08:07 AM

206 posts, read 449,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talascha View Post
What do you mean your inspector never went inside your house?

Did you pay for a complete home inspectiion?

Was he a private inspector or working for a government agency?

I sure hope you didn't pay too much. Then again, if you just hired the cheapest person out there and didn't check his experience or credentials you may have gotten what you paid for.

I've hired people to do work in my cape house without doing my research first and was very disappointed.
I suggest if the inspector won't come back you hire someone else.
A proper home inspection is very important.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:43 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
How the heck are you suppose to negotiate if your inspector, whom you paid, did not go in the house?

Old 12-04-2009, 07:07 PM

515 posts, read 1,589,792 times
get a ladder and a hammer. tap on the wall below, sounds like a rock, solid thud. Tap on the second floor wall maybe put a thin rubber pad against it first so not to mar the finish, bang on that wall, sounds the same? or does it sound hollow? Does the hammer bounce back (wood frame) or kinda just stop after hitting the wall (cement block).

Old 12-04-2009, 07:11 PM

515 posts, read 1,589,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewLew View Post
I don't think there are many 2 story homes that are completely block. Most usual are the 50/50 homes. It's cheaper construction, and less likelihood for structural issues with the integrity of the home.

There is nothing wrong with having a 2 story in FL with upper portion being frame.
Al of the homes being built on the beach are solid block all the way to the top. It's been that way for a while. It might be code for that area.???

Old 04-11-2010, 06:38 PM

2 posts, read 27,976 times
Is a 50/50 home, concrete block stucco 1st floor, 2x4 wood frame with stucco second floor considered a CBS constructed home as for florida building code and a building permit, or should the building permit state 50/50. Should the builder and or realtor state 50/50 when advertising a 50/50 home ? Thanks for any replies !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area