Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 01:10 AM

10 posts, read 36,626 times

Advertisements

My opinion... if you can't get a job where you are... and no matter what you try.... you need to get online and apply to any job anywhere that will support your family... you take whatever job you can get... and you move there. If people are telling you not to run from your problems... it's not as metaphorical is that.... if your family is hungry you need to do what you need to do to feed them. When you get back on your feet then and get stable... then you can decide where the nice place to live is that has the great this and that. Just food for thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 06:20 AM

7 posts, read 23,953 times
My DH got a PT job at Publix. I feel this is a great step forward, cause right now, something is anything. It defiantly isn't something that a family of 5 can live off of, but all we can do is pray.

We did look into moving. We cant afford gas to take my kids to school never mind moving states away right now. And we would have to rent a truck for our stuff, and first and last months rent... that's a joke.

We need some type of source of income. I'm not asking for hand outs... just a job to provide for my family. We are hard working and honest... why is this so hard to accomplish?

Old 01-14-2009, 05:26 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
I'm going to break this down for you and then leave it at that.

Rarely, but sometimes, the grass is greener. That's a nice platitude that is often true but this is a dire situation.

It is not a good idea to move during a recession, but part-time at Publix (I use to work there!) with five kids isn't going to keep a roof over your head. When this sort of thing happens, where you are stuck in a place with no prospects and the immediate need to feed and house your family then you must go.

I was not in your boat. My husband's company was closed (due to retiring owner) but we did not want to pay high rentals and the cost of houses was just too crazy. Ultimately, we could not get ahead, so I decided now or never and we left. That was October 2005.

Now I researched like crazy and at the time Knoxville seemed the perfect mix of schools, people, jobs and affordability.

Here's how we managed. We had one paycheck. We sold one vehicle (we had three) and we were given $200 by our church (Lamb of God, I noticed you mentioned that church in another post). That gave us about $1,100.

Gas ($3) was a huge expense, but we camped, my husband had a job within 3 hours of hitting Knoxville (he is an auto mechanic with a great work history) and we were in our new rental within nine days.

In 2 1/2 years we had bought our first house. Now, we are looking for property to start our own business.

Yes, sometimes the gas is greener. Lee County has the biggest drop in employment in the country (8.8 percent) as opposed to the nation (0.3 percent). Collier County and Sarasota are second and third.

I'll save you the research headache. Again, go to Texas. You have your best shot there.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:30 PM

214 posts, read 560,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybug View Post
My DH got a PT job at Publix. I feel this is a great step forward, cause right now, something is anything. It defiantly isn't something that a family of 5 can live off of, but all we can do is pray.

We did look into moving. We cant afford gas to take my kids to school never mind moving states away right now. And we would have to rent a truck for our stuff, and first and last months rent... that's a joke.

We need some type of source of income. I'm not asking for hand outs... just a job to provide for my family. We are hard working and honest... why is this so hard to accomplish?
Cant you get a job also?

Sounds like you need all the income you can get so you also working doesnt sound like a bad idea. That way you will have 2 incomes.

Your husband only works part time so he can watch your kids when he is home and your working.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:44 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
I am so sorry you are in this situation. I keep wondering why I'm staying here, since it's so hard to find work. At least I don't have young children to feed.

Have you contacted the Florida Department of Children and Families?
[URL="http://www.dcf.state.fl.us/ess/"]The Florida Department of Children and Families[/URL]

Good luck & God Bless.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:41 AM

1 posts, read 2,172 times
everyone has a opinion !!! We are near fort myers ,north ft myers an cape coral. Husband is in construction an he said last night that kraft constuction in fort myers just got the bid to do the new 60 million dollar ball field... It may be worth a try .. They use everything from helpers to welders. alot of theses places offer free health care to the employee..give it a try ,,,, cant hurt... Like the one person said apply an wait 2 or 3 weeks an go back.only my husband gets health ins an we pay for mine.. god bless an good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-15-2009, 09:01 AM

419 posts, read 602,671 times
I would say try and move also. I know its not easy but my husband and I are also leaving, and he has a job but the cost of living vs the pay rate in Fla does not match

Asking the state for aid is easy to say, I know a girl that applied and was approved for food stamps 4 mths ago and she still has not gotten it. She got a letter saying she would start getting them Jan 1st. ( That was the 4th letter telling her she was approved) and she still has not gotten them

I am so sorry you are going thru this it isnt easy

Old 01-15-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIX LEE View Post
everyone has a opinion !!! We are near fort myers ,north ft myers an cape coral. Husband is in construction an he said last night that kraft constuction in fort myers just got the bid to do the new 60 million dollar ball field... It may be worth a try .. They use everything from helpers to welders. alot of theses places offer free health care to the employee..give it a try ,,,, cant hurt... Like the one person said apply an wait 2 or 3 weeks an go back.only my husband gets health ins an we pay for mine.. god bless an good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wrong. They won't vote on the builder for another 2 to 3 weeks, they have not even decided WHERE to build. And anyone want to take bets on how many people will turn out to apply for jobs? I bet it will be breathtaking.

Those kids have to eat now.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:03 PM

214 posts, read 560,033 times
Thats bad advice to say move. It really is. I know someone above mentioned that they were in a similar situation and moved and it worked out, and thats great that it did for you but realistically speaking the odds of moving to another state with no or very little money and making it is not good.

Forget about getting a mortgage to buy a house.

To rent, most places want to see that you make at least 3 times the monthlty rent and have a good credit score.

What are the other options if they packed up and go? Rent a seedy crack infested motel by the night and hope to score a job? Maybe but with 5 kids who need schooling and a family that needs to eat thats gonna be an awful enviroment for all.

Id like to know where are you now? Because you said you were recently evicted and can you get a job to help your husband out? Alternate between watching your kids.

Possibly the best advice I can recommend is to move in with family for a while to get a good game plan going and save some money. Between you and your husbands familys there has got to be brothers, sisters, mothers, fathers, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, in laws, or even close friends to move in with for a while to prevent moving in to a homeless shelter.

Is that an option?

Also with 5 kids and only a part time job at a supermarket to support everyone I would think Welfare and Foodstamps would be an instant approval ?

Get back to us let us know whats going on. You posted this on here and people are taking time to give you advice.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edison Winter View Post
Thats bad advice to say move. It really is. I know someone above mentioned that they were in a similar situation and moved and it worked out, and thats great that it did for you but realistically speaking the odds of moving to another state with no or very little money and making it is not good.

Forget about getting a mortgage to buy a house.

To rent, most places want to see that you make at least 3 times the monthlty rent and have a good credit score.

What are the other options if they packed up and go? Rent a seedy crack infested motel by the night and hope to score a job? Maybe but with 5 kids who need schooling and a family that needs to eat thats gonna be an awful enviroment for all.

Id like to know where are you now? Because you said you were recently evicted and can you get a job to help your husband out? Alternate between watching your kids.

Possibly the best advice I can recommend is to move in with family for a while to get a good game plan going and save some money. Between you and your husbands familys there has got to be brothers, sisters, mothers, fathers, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, in laws, or even close friends to move in with for a while to prevent moving in to a homeless shelter.

Is that an option?

Also with 5 kids and only a part time job at a supermarket to support everyone I would think Welfare and Foodstamps would be an instant approval ?

Get back to us let us know whats going on. You posted this on here and people are taking time to give you advice.
My apologies. She has three kids and I, somehow, gave her five. Senility.

If she can't pay the rent then welfare and foodstamps will do her no good if she is about to be evicted. (Welfare won't pay ANY rent, either, unless they are in Section 8 and there is a long waiting list for that, too.) Then she will end up in a shelter with the kids. He won't be able to go with her, and that is if she and the kids can get in. There could be a waiting list, and the state could swoop in and take the kids in the meantime.

Unfortunately, I know too much about this. I have been homeless and I was a newspaper reporter for many years.

Never, ever resort to welfare.

The only hope they have is finding jobs and they are not there in Fort Myers. The odds of them making it away from a place in financial ruin is better than what they have now.

Don't lose those babies. You can do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area