Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 11:34 AM

18 posts, read 52,237 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
Not being all that familiar with Cape Coral (grandparents lived in Ft. Meyers but that was long ago) I'd like to ask a few questions.
1. Why is it I see most of the pools are screened in? Bugs?
2. How has CC been hit with hurricanes recently?
3. Which parts of CC are "better"?
4. In today's market, what can I excpect to pay for a 4 bed, 3 bath home with an in-ground pool?
5. Are there lease-to-own houses available to anyon'e knowledge?
Thanks.
Paul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 09:43 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,530,402 times
1. Why is it I see most of the pools are screened in? Bugs?
Most people get them to keep bugs out.
2. How has CC been hit with hurricanes recently?
2004...Hurricane Charlie
3. Which parts of CC are "better"?
That depends on who you ask. The SE and SW are more developed. The NE and NW were starting to be developed just before the housing bust.
4. In today's market, what can I excpect to pay for a 4 bed, 3 bath home with an in-ground pool?
Depending on where you go in the Cape, the last time I looked probably about $200,000. Some are even cheaper.
5. Are there lease-to-own houses available to anyon'e knowledge?
Don't know as I haven't looked.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:13 AM

25 posts, read 71,662 times
screened pools keep it cooler and less water evaporates. the more water you add, the more treatment ya gotta add.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:11 AM

1,024 posts, read 3,342,755 times
Screens are definitely for the bugs. As the last post says, it does also keep the pool water cooler, so invest in some sort of pool heater (solar or electric) so that you can swim year round.

Hurricane Charlie hit, and the outer bands of 2004 and 2008 hurricanes hit the area, but Charlie caused the damage. Wilma did some stuff to the area too...in 2005.

You will pay more than 200K for a home in SE Cape. Most of those homes are on canals with Gulf access. However, I would say you will pay anywhere from 100k-300K depending on how nice, and if you are interested in REO properties.

Lots of rentals, but not sure if they are rent to own. I would assume, in this market, there are lots of sellers who would consider it.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:11 AM

3 posts, read 13,484 times
I have been looking for property on a canal. I really would like to be have gulf access. WHat would I expect to pay for those amenities? Assuming its a 4 br home less than 10 yrs.

I have seen houses for as little as 70k newer houses. I havent seen any with canal access in that range. Is a canal access worth all that money? couldnt I just rent a slip?

Old 02-22-2009, 08:18 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,090,600 times
Default gulf access

here's my two cents-- northeast has no gulf access- northwest has some gulf access pretty much west of burnt store road- there are bridges that you have to go under which limits boat size and the northwest spreader canal has a lot of open environmental issues that are unresolved.. what is that the spreader is kind of a natural filter system from fresh water canals out to the gulf unfortunatly it is causing turmoil on the mangroves they used to have a dam that stopped boats from being able to move freely across the canals and you would have to use a boat lift to pick your boat out of the water and put on the other side. Soooo.. there was a breach in the system and they pulled out the boat lift but they may rebuild it or put in a loch system or who knows. personally I don't like uncertainty. Most houses with gulf access seem to be going 150k to 200k more. in the south west they have a loch system - and what matters is how far from the gulf .. canal speeds are no wake zones so 5 miles can mean a very long time going out and coming in. South east by far has the best gulf access the closer you are to the river the more expensive . interestingly enough is you can buy a gulf access piece of land for very little. on top of the extra price taxes will be much higher as well as insurance. If money was not a consideration for me I would definetly buy on the canal

Old 02-25-2009, 03:23 PM

65 posts, read 135,138 times
Gulf access properties have not been hit as hard in this market. If you wanna have your boat 30 steps from your bedroom....you have to pay.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:05 PM

36 posts, read 128,597 times
Duh.......Mosquitoes

Old 06-26-2009, 07:54 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,090,600 times
I could be wrong about this but I think mosquitos would be more of a pond problem and not a salt water canal. the salt water could keep them away.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:40 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,727,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
I could be wrong about this but I think mosquitos would be more of a pond problem and not a salt water canal. the salt water could keep them away.
It actually depends upon the particular mosquito "season". There are both fresh and salt water mosquito variants prevalent in SW Florida.

If you are so inclined, a trip to the lee county mosquito control district's website will get you more information...

Lee County Mosquito Control District || Welcome

or

Lee County Mosquito Control District

or a google search on saltwater mosquitoes...........

However all mosquitoes will generally use standing, or other "still" water as a place to lay eggs. Salt water canals are constantly moving due to tidal flushing, and not very likely to be a source of pests. Salt water marshes. like those found on the barrier islands, and mangroves right along the coastlines will be a significant source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area