Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 08:20 PM

171 posts, read 622,000 times

Advertisements

The bears, snakes , black widows, and gators are infrequent problems. But watch out for "crackers"!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 09:06 PM

2 posts, read 5,945 times
All of this is very interesting to me, I am with the lady who is creeped out by snakes... we just purchased a house on a canal in cape coral....and hopefully i will not see one...however comming from Michigan....snow? hmmm snake? Well.. I guess I will just take my chances.....not to mention Florida is so beautiful it may be worth the risk... I hope....LOL

Old 08-08-2009, 05:55 AM

18 posts, read 110,750 times
The only way to get rid of this irrational fear of snakes is to desensitize yourself to them by exposing yourself to them as much as possible. The quickest way is to get in a box, and have an accomplice fill it up to your neck with snakes. There are TV shows that will even pay you to do this, so that the public can watch your therapy session

Old 08-08-2009, 07:51 PM

282 posts, read 1,008,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echobelly View Post
The only way to get rid of this irrational fear of snakes is to desensitize yourself to them by exposing yourself to them as much as possible. The quickest way is to get in a box, and have an accomplice fill it up to your neck with snakes. There are TV shows that will even pay you to do this, so that the public can watch your therapy session
Oh dear!

Old 08-09-2009, 04:41 AM

812 posts, read 1,674,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echobelly View Post
I don't think that's a great idea, but talking to people who own snakes, reading about them, and eventually even touching one with assistance should go a long way. There are a lot of useful things to know about snakes.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:15 AM

107 posts, read 180,677 times
Don't know about the other snakes but the copperheads here climb straight up the side of walls. My wife's parents had a gator in a canal near salty water in the Keys. It had eaten a couple of neighboorhood dogs before some teenage boys killed it and then got in trouble for doing so.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:16 AM

101 posts, read 300,730 times
I had a snake in the house once. In a trailer in Immokalee near a 'borrow pit'

Old 08-11-2009, 01:01 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roccos View Post
I had a snake in the house once. In a trailer in Immokalee near a 'borrow pit'
What's a borrow pit?

Old 08-13-2009, 10:23 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,083,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
What's a borrow pit?
At borrow pit, is a construction term for an excavation area where dirt is excavated to fill, or raise another area near by. It is the hole or low area that is left after the dirt is removed. Often, particularly in Florida, the storm water management ponds, and canals are planned borrow pit / or borrow areas, that is why there are so many, because Florida is basically flat, and in order to raise areas for houses, buildings, roads and other improvements they need to get the dirt somewhere, without having to truck in in from miles and miles away. That would ve bery costly. So they mine the dirt or "borrow" it form an area that they don't expect to build on for a while.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:28 AM

14 posts, read 40,817 times
In housing developments, don't they just make those pits into cutesy little lakes, a fun place for local alligators to enjoy?
I've heard some of those pits/lakes can be way deep...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area