Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2009, 09:58 PM

4 posts, read 7,624 times

Advertisements

I thought I would let you guys know how it was in the old days. We started coming to San Carlos Island for the winter in 1950 when I was 5 years old and we lived in the Gulf Cove trailer park. We had a lot of freedom as kids and I could easily ride my bike to the Beach School when I got older. There was a wonderful group of mangrove trees we could climb in and swing from tree to tree, but then one day they cut them down and put in a stupid realty office. I can still recall how sad I was.

Later we moved into Ft. Myers when I began 7th grade. I became a very avid golfer. To keep us from becoming juvenile delinquents like James Dean and Marlon Brando, they let us play golf at the city course for $5 a year. Sometimes we would play at Lehigh or Cape Coral, which was only 9 holes, but the real treat was to drive to Port Charlotte where there was a magnificent course.

I recall helping to build the little league field, which was called Boys Field in those days. It was pretty fancy with a grass infield, concrete outfield fence filled with advertisements, showers for the players, and a press box overhead. I made the all-star team as a pitcher and we won a couple games in the playoffs up iin St. Pete.

Sometimes we took the ferry over to Sanibel which was absolutely pristine. There wasn't much there, but it sure was beautiful.

When I look a Google maps, I see a lot of changes. However, I am glad to see that Bunch Beach still looks very undeveloped. On San Carlos Island, there was a little stone structure that was probably built during the 1920's land boom. To us kids, it was a wonderful fort. I am pleased to see it is still there.

We have lived in Virginia just south of D.C. since the early 70's and we ain't leaving because we have grandchildren nearby, but I may come to Ft. Myers for a visit. I would like to show Lovers Key to my wife. Maybe we can even play in our old fort for awhile.

Bob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 08:17 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,711,508 times
I often reflect on all the changes I've seen around these parts in just the eighteen years I've been here. What has been lost vs. the gain(?) is always open to debate.
As one that loves history, and enjoys a simpler pace, I thank you for a great look back.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:15 PM

128 posts, read 647,182 times
I have been here 32 years and unfortunatly the ball field I think you are speaking about is part of the Fort Myers High school facility now the little league moved down off the end of Deleon. My son played there alot and I had the fun of watching him send them out of the park over the wall as a coach. That field was a classic the only Little League field that had a wall like that sad it's not used for LL play anymore. Sam Fleichman help start the league and when he pasted my son was asked to be a palbarrier it was a great honor for him.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:59 AM

4 posts, read 7,624 times
Hi Roadrunner,

When we moved into town in 1957, they were just starting to build the field. They asked us kids to help, and I remember griping, "Yeah, they want to call it Boys Field just so the kids will have to come work on it." One of the adults said to me, "Now that's not the right attitude, Bob."

We had a few players hit home runs over the fence, including the star player on our team, Charley Sanders, who later died suddenly when in High School, probably from a heart ailment.

I bet the new field doesn't have showers for the players like ours did. We had it pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area