Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2009, 08:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,308 times

Advertisements

Hi all.
I'm coming down in a few weeks to look at some real estate, I'll take whatever advice I can get regarging location etc. I feel like I want to be near the Caloosahatchee (the wide part) and hopefully someday buy a boat so I can run the river down to Sanibel on occasion. It appears Ft Myers and Cape Coral are the obvious choices but we are open to suggestions. My priorities are safety, price and storm surge protection, and would like some input as to what areas to look for or avoid. I also have a strong concern about the ability to secure a mortgage in the area and would like any details I can get regarding downpayment (%) and insurance. I am looking for a vacation home, single family ONLY and if any of you know a good realtor I would like their name and number. Realtors beware: I know the business and if you are not honest with me I will not buy from you. Period. I am looking to spend 100K max. Thanks to anyone who might answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 05:50 AM

1,024 posts, read 3,343,188 times
If you are looking for a single family home only, on the Caloosahatchee, Ft Myers wont' offer you much. Cape Coral will get you a canal home MAYBE in that price range.
We can't put realtor information here, so if you want to DM me, I have a great area realtor. She's helped many people on this board through referrals.
One other thing to consider is insurance. Being in that area, you will be required to have flood insurance on top of regular HO insurance. Total, this can run you a minimum of 2000 upwards of 4000 per year for both. A condo would obviously be less, and you might be able to find a home that gets some good discounts for you. However, not in Ft Myers for that price range. All the homes in that location are older.
I would focus on the Cape.
Good luck.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:01 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,729,420 times
What lew lew said...but I would add...You might want to look further up river, toward Ft Myers Shores, or a bit beyond. Definatly a longer ride to the gulf, but being in an unincorporated area of the county will get you lower taxes, flood insurance may be less expensive(generally is east of I 75). And the river is still quite "wide" there offering all the room for water sports, and fishing. Might still be a difficult, but not impossible to find that price range however. Even in the Cape, a salt water canal for that $$ will likely have you spending another 50-100K to make the house livable if you find one for 100000 purchase. Good luck, and happy hunting....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area