U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2009, 10:23 AM

11 posts, read 70,015 times

Advertisements

I am a foreigner living in Cape Coral.
Currently I live with my wife in an apartment near the Cape Coral hospital and it is NOT located in a gated community. I like this neighbourhood and landlord is very supportive and helpful.
Due to a high joblessness in today's society, I am worried about the safety of my family.

So wat do you think:
1)There is no need to panic and my family is safe. OR
2)Should i relocate to a gated community? If yes then please suggest some gated communities near Edison College or Mid-point bridge.

Thanks so much in advance.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 12:23 PM

14,267 posts, read 17,744,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluj007 View Post
Currently I live with my wife in an apartment near the Cape Coral hospital and it is NOT located in a gated community. I like this neighbourhood and landlord is very supportive and helpful.
Due to a high joblessness in today's society, I am worried about the safety of my family.

So wat do you think:
2)Should i relocate to a gated community? If yes then please suggest some gated communities near Edison College or Mid-point bridge.

A gated community doesn't guarantee safety. Just use common sense, lock your door and don't open it to strangers. Cape Coral is not a dangerous place to live. I know that there have been many negative posters (and I might be one of those people!) but compared to many cities of its size, it's pretty quiet. Maybe getting to know your neighbors might be a good idea. You said your landlord is supportive, so perhaps you can form a neighborhood watch group if you have concerns. Also, although I'm not sure they do much good, you can install a burglar alarm in an apartment with the owner's approval.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:30 PM

11 posts, read 70,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
A gated community doesn't guarantee safety. Just use common sense, lock your door and don't open it to strangers. Cape Coral is not a dangerous place to live. I know that there have been many negative posters (and I might be one of those people!) but compared to many cities of its size, it's pretty quiet. Maybe getting to know your neighbors might be a good idea. You said your landlord is supportive, so perhaps you can form a neighborhood watch group if you have concerns. Also, although I'm not sure they do much good, you can install a burglar alarm in an apartment with the owner's approval.
thanks Nancy!

Old 02-22-2009, 06:01 PM

14,267 posts, read 17,744,411 times
I decided to go to Cape Coral this afternoon. I got there at around 3:45 and spent 2 hours looking at homes listed for under $100,000. I mainly peeked through windows, since the houses were all bank owned (I had a list.) If I saw people next door, I introduced myself and said I was looking at real estate. I hate to be rude, but I guess they're used to it by now. At least that's what one woman said to me!

I talked to some residents walking their dogs, and they were all very friendly. I still don't like Cape Coral very much, but I think it might be a good choice for a young family. After all, where can you buy a 3 bedroom house with an inground caged pool for $89,000?

Old 02-26-2009, 12:35 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,112,867 times
I think you can rent in paseo for $900 per month, new townhouses, gated. Kids play in the streets at night. Just up the road from Edison. European feeling to the place.

Paseo Ft. Myers

Paseo Resort in Fort Myers Florida - Paseo Resort-Photos

I have no direct financial interest in this...except being a neighbour

Old 02-26-2009, 05:45 PM

1 posts, read 3,639 times
Default Canadian home owner of Paseo

We have just come back from Fort Myers and really enjoyed the atmosphere at the Paseo. Can you pls confirm for me what your thoughts are on the place. Would you recommend it? We are looking at purchasing one of the town homes. What are the insurance costs? Is there only the 3% costs for canadians in taxes, or should I expect any other hidden costs?

Old 03-04-2009, 04:22 PM

515 posts, read 1,493,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gant View Post
We have just come back from Fort Myers and really enjoyed the atmosphere at the Paseo. Can you pls confirm for me what your thoughts are on the place. Would you recommend it? We are looking at purchasing one of the town homes. What are the insurance costs? Is there only the 3% costs for canadians in taxes, or should I expect any other hidden costs?
What are the community fee's????? HOA

Old 03-13-2009, 06:55 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,112,867 times
Default Paseo, Fort Myers

Quote:
Originally Posted by gant View Post
Paseo makes sense for local professionals with kids, tennis freaks or golf-phobes, or those that are happy to see other people at the pool when you head down there with your-after work cocktail (no glass on the pool deck please!).

There are even a few students renting to liven up the scenery for us old farts.

It also makes sense as a second home for northerners who have deep enough pockets to pay the monthly cost of upkeep. So, things to consider as a fellow quad townhouse owner:

- taxes are calculated on previous years average sales for your type of unit. My 2008 taxes are over 5K based on assessed 220K value, though I paid much less. This includes all the weird taxes and CDD, which is a small second mortgage to pay off the city development fees that you pay down over 20 years, or if you have the cash, you can pay off at any time.

-When buying, make sure the tax estimate for the year you are buying is based on a tax estimate of a constructed property, not what the taxes were on empty land, so that the proration is fair. This is important. Also, dont be shy about offering below asking price.

- HOA is running $350 per month and I think is subsidized by the developer, who is going to be around for many years I suspect until it is built out. Anyway, prepare for that to go up eventually. That includes maintaining the small pool if you are on a pool quad and the town centre and gym and tennis and all the landscaping. If you want to spend less and look at peoples crappy yards over in Leheigh, be my guest. You can pick up a decent house over there on Craigslist for the price of an SUV.

- Make sure you take a look at mls resales of existings towns as well as new construction. You don't get to pick your decorations, but the new ones available now dont have pools, unless you would be happy walking over to the big pool, which some people are ok with.

- I rent my place on Esperanza from time to time if you want to spend more time there and check into all this more. Mostly Canadians on my corner by the way. Business owners, doctors, University instructors, retired cop, and some renters of all backgrounds. I keep smelling salts on hand for when my wife sees a tattoo. ; - )

- While I personally believe this is a great investment at this time, especially if it will save you on hotel bills in Cancun, and if you can have family and friends use it and help with expenses, keep in mind we are in a crisis, so I would caution against leveraging yourself financially to get into this. The incredibly low selling prices can be deceptive. Focus on the montly costs.

-Better to rent and wait until the development is more built out and the economy stabilises. That being said, the builder is from a very deep pockets group and all indications are that they will survive and prosper. Prices will be much higher once the economy starts back up. Decisions decisions.

done the 6 mile slough park next door? gators! one sneeked into the Paseo big lake last month. Day trips to Sanibel or Captiva, Lovers Key dog beach, poker at the track, Corkscrew Sanctuary, Estero Kayaking, Edison/Ford Estate, Fisherman's Wharf, Boca Grande...and on and on.

PS: there is a 3% cap on taxes for owner occupants and a 50K I think homesteaders deduction from gross assessment. all others its 10% and no homesteaders deduction of gross assessment, and this applies to locals who own investment properties as well as out of state or out of country second home owners. Think carefully how you set up ownership. One thing you dont want to happen is be a Canadian and die while owning a Florida property.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,333 times
Kroeran, thank you for your input. We are looking forward purchasing a casita at Paseo. I couldn't find any feedback about this community , but yours Thank you for your lenghty and thoughtful insight!
We've searched most of the Laguna Lakes(gladiolus/summerlin) area for about 6 months and couldn't find a single condo that would make us feel right about the purchase. Once we saw Paseo we knew this is going to be the place!
I would like to know your thoughts on casitas vs townhomes(quad), is there any not so obvious disadvantages in either, I should be aware of? Thank you!

Old 03-28-2009, 07:34 PM
fwi

56 posts, read 148,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluj007 View Post

So wat do you think:

I am a foreigner too, living in CC and I am not worried in the least about my family's safety.
Why are you so worried about your safety?
Are you doing something to peass off your neighbors or something illegal???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>