Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 12:07 PM

5,077 posts, read 14,639,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawr View Post
I hope to post great news also, lol! We currently live in Pennsburg, PA. We lived in Lansdale for a few years before that. Definitely a small world.
And even though we have the house for sale up here, no bids as of yet. I have thrown some things in boxes, , maybe a little premature, but makes me feel a little bit closer to our goal.
No, because I'm like you and maybe, just maybe it's a woman thing we do but.... ever since my fiance told me that he has an interview (and then he had it yesterday) over the phone. I have been looking at homes, checking out the area, etc... I just like to know what I'm possibly getting myself into. I think you and your hubby are closer to your goals though. Our next step that will make me feel like it's really possible is if they call him to have him fly down for a face-to-face.... then I'll start packing LOL NO NO,just kidding.. but you know what I mean. I've been here for so long now that I'm just excited at any prospect but especially this one - so I'm hopeful but not letting it drive my life right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 12:54 PM

Next question!.... I keep reading about irrigation systems on the ads for the homes for sale in Golden Gate Estates. If you live there near the west side where the older homes are, how much flooding is realistic? Do you have flood insurance? What about an extra rider for fire? I know homeowner insurance covers fire but not all "mother nature" events are covered. I'm interested in older homes (at least 10 years old). I have very specific things I'm looking for and there are homes that meet that criteria that are available. I saw one home though that looked as though the garage door had been boarded up - are there a alot of homes that have just been abandoned? If they are advertising a "short sale" is it safe to say it's being foreclosed on and they are trying to get it sold before that happens??

Old 03-10-2009, 01:29 PM

136 posts, read 417,799 times
I can help with that one. Keep away from short sales. The price isnt what it appears to be usually and they also can take months to settle. Foreclosures, bank approved are a good bet. As far as flood zones, I was given a fema site and most houses are in the D zone, which means undetermined, so I called the FEMA director there and he said over the next 2 years, D will probably be zoned a flood area. He said that doesnt mean there is flooding, just that you will be required to have flood insurance. Here's the link: Collier County FEMA Map Viewer

Old 03-10-2009, 01:31 PM

Oh BTW, heres an example, say I find 50 houses, I cross reference to find 1/2 are short slaes, then check with my realtor to find that another 1/2 are also short sales. Realtors are required to enter if its a short sale, but they dont.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:23 AM

Ahhh... thats good to know. My future MIL and I were just talking about short sales last night. She is looking in Fairfax, VA though and according to her agent, the short sales there are quickly settled because the bank holding those mortgages has to pay the property taxes, maintain the property, etc, etc.. and they don't want to and can't do that for as many short sales that are available, so down there at least it's a very quick process. I definitely don't want to do the short sale. I am however very interested in the FEMA information. The flooding does concern me and I would like to believe that if this all comes to pass, when we do seriously begin looking at homes that the realtor would steer us away from flood prone areas but, with things sounding so desperate down there I don't know. So, that's my big thing.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:32 AM

Quote:
She is looking in Fairfax, VA though and according to her agent, the short sales there are quickly settled because the bank holding those mortgages has to pay the property taxes
I can see that, my parents lived in Fairfax Co (BelleHaven-where I grew up) and their taxes were aprox 9K. Crazy down there.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:52 AM

FYI, for those that have an interest in Golden Gate Estates.. a friend in the Navy told me the place is pretty nice - how does he know? His Father lives in the estates and loves it. He has lived there since about 1991 and just loves it. I think he's on the west side.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,623 times
I am also looking at the area. I think I'll fly down and spend a few days looking around, checking City Hall and finding about local regulations and codes....
As a retiring Building Inspector, it's my nature!! LOL!!

Old 03-11-2009, 11:21 AM

3,417 posts, read 7,785,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
Next question!.... I keep reading about irrigation systems on the ads for the homes for sale in Golden Gate Estates. If you live there near the west side where the older homes are, how much flooding is realistic? Do you have flood insurance? What about an extra rider for fire? I know homeowner insurance covers fire but not all "mother nature" events are covered. I'm interested in older homes (at least 10 years old). I have very specific things I'm looking for and there are homes that meet that criteria that are available. I saw one home though that looked as though the garage door had been boarded up - are there a alot of homes that have just been abandoned? If they are advertising a "short sale" is it safe to say it's being foreclosed on and they are trying to get it sold before that happens??
I live on the west side and I don't have flood insurance. And I am on a canal. I live in that "D" zone referenced in the other post.

Irrigation systems-what is your question? Are you confusing this with drainage systems?

No extra rider for fire. Included in homeowners. The thing that will cost big with insurance is a hurricane. The deductible is very high for this type of claim. It also doesn't cover water damage, only wind. Water damage is covered by separate flood insurance. Just a small part of the whole statewide property insurance mess.

There are a lot of foreclosed/abandoned homes in GGE. I'm not qualified to talk about short sales.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
I live on the west side and I don't have flood insurance. And I am on a canal. I live in that "D" zone referenced in the other post.

Irrigation systems-what is your question? Are you confusing this with drainage systems?

No extra rider for fire. Included in homeowners. The thing that will cost big with insurance is a hurricane. The deductible is very high for this type of claim. It also doesn't cover water damage, only wind. Water damage is covered by separate flood insurance. Just a small part of the whole statewide property insurance mess.

There are a lot of foreclosed/abandoned homes in GGE. I'm not qualified to talk about short sales.

Thanks! This clarifies everything for me now. Really helpful information and I appreciate it! I knew about the hurricane deductible, having lived oceanside for so many years, it's kind of like you just do it and not much you can do about it. I'm actually glad you mentioned that you live along a canal, there were a couple of homes that I kind of temporarily dismissed until I found out some more info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area