Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 07:02 PM

262 posts, read 606,869 times

Advertisements

I keep reading about how horribly dangerous it is in Lehigh, yet it looks so nice. None of the homes seem to have bars on the windows (something I remember seeing a lot of in Arizona). Lots of open space..

Looks beautiful..
https://maps.google.com/?ll=26.52234...101.71,,0,5.33

Too bad, if it really is that bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 04:20 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8train View Post
I keep reading about how horribly dangerous it is in Lehigh, yet it looks so nice. None of the homes seem to have bars on the windows (something I remember seeing a lot of in Arizona). Lots of open space..

Looks beautiful..
https://maps.google.com/?ll=26.52234...101.71,,0,5.33

Too bad, if it really is that bad.

Looks nice, but isn't nice. It is sad because it could've been a great place to raise a family but when they shut down the public housing complex they moved everyone out there and now it's basically a 'free for all'. Crimes, drugs, violence...not pretty at all.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Looks nice, but isn't nice. It is sad because it could've been a great place to raise a family but when they shut down the public housing complex they moved everyone out there and now it's basically a 'free for all'. Crimes, drugs, violence...not pretty at all.
World's nicest looking ghetto.

https://maps.google.com/?ll=26.52265...,,0,-1.39&z=13

Old 01-01-2014, 02:28 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,090,600 times
Quote:
It's not that it is a complete ghetto at all. the houses are exactly the same as the surrounding areas. If you took Lee counties most popular areas- Cape Coral, Ft myers, Estero, Sanibel, Captiva, Boca Grande. Lehigh is the least desirable. Mostly because it is fathest away from the water (which is the main attraction) and has the least infrastructure and amenities. due to this the prices are much cheaper than the other areas. When you have cheaper houses you also have cheaper rents. This tends to attract a different buyer/ landlord than the other areas. During the bust, landlords would rent to anyone. Like others have said a "bad element" has moved into the area. If a lot of the rentals were bought up by primary residence seekers the area could turn quickly.... but it will still be the least desirable due to it's location , which is everything in real estate.

Old 01-01-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
It's not that it is a complete ghetto at all. the houses are exactly the same as the surrounding areas. If you took Lee counties most popular areas- Cape Coral, Ft myers, Estero, Sanibel, Captiva, Boca Grande. Lehigh is the least desirable. Mostly because it is fathest away from the water (which is the main attraction) and has the least infrastructure and amenities. due to this the prices are much cheaper than the other areas. When you have cheaper houses you also have cheaper rents. This tends to attract a different buyer/ landlord than the other areas. During the bust, landlords would rent to anyone. Like others have said a "bad element" has moved into the area. If a lot of the rentals were bought up by primary residence seekers the area could turn quickly.... but it will still be the least desirable due to it's location , which is everything in real estate.
To me the greatest attraction would be the climate and room, the fact that houses aren't stacked on top of each other, which seems rare in southern Florida. I collect palms and I see there are healthy coconuts growing there, which means almost anything would be able to thrive there, unlike the northern part of the state, or other areas further inland. From what I can tell amenities aren't that far off, at least not by my standards. Neither is the water really, an hour maybe?

The only problem could be the bad element, and how widespread and bad it really is. Does the bad element live in the well kept houses that I linked to? In that area? Thanks for the info btw.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:04 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,090,600 times
Quote:
To me the greatest attraction would be the climate and room, the fact that houses aren't stacked on top of each other, which seems rare in southern Florida. I collect palms and I see there are healthy coconuts growing there, which means almost anything would be able to thrive there, unlike the northern part of the state, or other areas further inland. From what I can tell amenities aren't that far off, at least not by my standards. Neither is the water really, an hour maybe?

The only problem could be the bad element, and how widespread and bad it really is. Does the bad element live in the well kept houses that I linked to? In that area? Thanks for the info btw.
the link you gave looks to be in a low crime area. In the last 6 months Lee county sheriffs crime map reported 290 assaults, theft, burglaries in Lehigh, only 1 burglary occurred close to your link, I would consider that relatively safe, secluded area.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
the link you gave looks to be in a low crime area. In the last 6 months Lee county sheriffs crime map reported 290 assaults, theft, burglaries in Lehigh, only 1 burglary occurred close to your link, I would consider that relatively safe, secluded area.
Thanks for the follow up. I'll have to check out that map.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:46 PM

9,372 posts, read 6,973,951 times
When I was in High School (late 90's), Lehigh was actually and up and coming area. Several of the developments went in there and invested some coin (Olympia Pointe, Westmintster, Varsity Lakes). I feel bad for all of the retirees and near retirees that invested in the community out there. When everything feel apart that area fell hardest and fell fast. Now those people are surrounded by a much different group of neighbors if they are even still there.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:50 AM

130 posts, read 277,782 times
I have never lived in LeHigh so I can't speak from personal experience, but I have met very nice people who do and they like it. One couple told me they chose LeHigh for the golf. I don't golf, so I can't speak to that. also for the nice home at the nice price. They have no problem with bad neighbors or crime, but I couldn't tell you where they live. I do recall they said driving to the beach was 45-50 minutes. They usually drove in about once or twice a week and that was fine with them as they were able to afford a very nice pool home.
I do believe the area will change as the economy recovers. Homes nearer the gulf will get pricier, thus forcing people to look further inland. Rents will raise again also, pricing some elements out. We bought our house in CC in April, and according to Zillow the home value has risen 10% already. I don't know how accurate Zillow is, but looking at homes for sale it does appear they have gone up in price. This will probably benefit areas like LeHigh.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:39 PM

374 posts, read 796,098 times
I am sure that there are plenty of nice people who live in Lehigh...doesn't make them smart or investment savvy. If you don't care about resale value, then go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area