Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2009, 06:50 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,642,263 times

Advertisements

I am curious to find out what the working folks do for a living. I'm looking at a possible move down and have YEARS of experience in medical / pharma, etc. I have a pretty good resume and have had jobs like "Account Administration", "Operations Assistant", I've been a manager at a medical clinic, etc.

I realize that if we do move down that I can't expect the same pay as I'm getting in my current location but, just trying to find out IF there are medical jobs available and what else is available.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 07:51 AM

320 posts, read 1,129,868 times
I'm an accountant who will be moving down April 17th. I am looking for a job.

My g/f is a lab assistant down there already.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:51 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,727,849 times
Dont know first hand..but I've heard that medical field jobs is one of the sectors of the job market doing well in these parts.
Your expectations regarding pay scales are likely well founded also.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:12 AM

yachtcare, I have heard the same things about medical. I am from FL originally but I've been in PA for several years now but I do try to keep up with current news in my former home state. Thanks for your comment!

Old 03-24-2009, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Wing View Post
I'm an accountant who will be moving down April 17th. I am looking for a job.

My g/f is a lab assistant down there already.
I know, I'm on the forum a pretty good amount of time and remember some of your postings about your big move. So, I have to ask, were you concerned about moving down and not having a job first? Do either of you know anyone in FL?
I'm of the mind that you should find the job first but then again, I don't know your situation, etc... so I would imagine you must have felt pretty confidant moving before finding work. I think it's good that she has a job already.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:29 AM

320 posts, read 1,129,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
I know, I'm on the forum a pretty good amount of time and remember some of your postings about your big move. So, I have to ask, were you concerned about moving down and not having a job first? Do either of you know anyone in FL?
I'm of the mind that you should find the job first but then again, I don't know your situation, etc... so I would imagine you must have felt pretty confidant moving before finding work. I think it's good that she has a job already.
I agree that you should find a job first. However, my g/f of 5 years found her job as a lab assistant down there after many months of looking up here in NJ. Also, we're renting a cheap 1 BR apartment so her salary and my savings will be enough to get us through my temporary unemployment.

Another factor is that I work in public accounting. All of the public accounting firms aren't interviewing now because it's their busy time. Most of these places look for help in May/June. I won't lie, I'm a little nervous about not finding a job but I'm not too worried. It'll work out, even if I have to take a little pay cut.

About knowing anyone down there, no, not really. We have some distant family a few hours away in other parts of Florida but we don't know them that well.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Wing View Post
I agree that you should find a job first. However, my g/f of 5 years found her job as a lab assistant down there after many months of looking up here in NJ. Also, we're renting a cheap 1 BR apartment so her salary and my savings will be enough to get us through my temporary unemployment.

Another factor is that I work in public accounting. All of the public accounting firms aren't interviewing now because it's their busy time. Most of these places look for help in May/June. I won't lie, I'm a little nervous about not finding a job but I'm not too worried. It'll work out, even if I have to take a little pay cut.

About knowing anyone down there, no, not really. We have some distant family a few hours away in other parts of Florida but we don't know them that well.
That works, I was just curious because it sounds like you are doing what my fiance and I are doing. He's finding out about a job offer in April and then I'd be going down and looking for a job. Well, good luck!! Sounds like it's going to work out pretty nicely for you guys.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:03 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,510,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
I am curious to find out what the working folks do for a living. I'm looking at a possible move down and have YEARS of experience in medical / pharma, etc. I have a pretty good resume and have had jobs like "Account Administration", "Operations Assistant", I've been a manager at a medical clinic, etc.

I realize that if we do move down that I can't expect the same pay as I'm getting in my current location but, just trying to find out IF there are medical jobs available and what else is available.

Any thoughts?
SWFL is Retiree Capital USA...there is employment in the health care field but remember, it's not that large of an area, so you may have to travel some for work. There were 3 nursing homes & a hospital & several doctor's office within a 5 mile radius in the very small town of Punta Gorda, north of Fort Myers. Next to working at the grocery store, I think that was the primary source of employment in the area for those who had to work.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:04 PM

101 posts, read 311,705 times
My hubs and I are both Respiratory Therapists, he has the job (transfer with his current company) and I have seen listings for other places hiring RT's there I don't plan to work right away if I do, childcare is hard to come by these days thats decent and affordable. I've been all over the US and home care, doc offices etc seem to be good secure job sources in FL due to the senior population there.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryschap View Post
My hubs and I are both Respiratory Therapists, he has the job (transfer with his current company) and I have seen listings for other places hiring RT's there I don't plan to work right away if I do, childcare is hard to come by these days thats decent and affordable. I've been all over the US and home care, doc offices etc seem to be good secure job sources in FL due to the senior population there.
That was my thinking too and to be honest, I would be fine working with the seniors. I work with all military now and its fun too, different kind of fun but I do like my job.

I would say if you don't HAVE to work right now, just be a stay at home Mom, your kids will be better for it and heck yeah, childcare is super expensive. I know it's nice having two incomes but in all reality if you make adjustments it can be done on one good salary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area