Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2009, 07:02 AM

52 posts, read 139,280 times

Advertisements

Well, I came to the area last weekend for house hunting and to look around. I know it was just a first impression, but I was really pleased with what I found. After reading some of the posts on here, I was thinking maybe it would be very disappointing. Quite the contrary. Maybe it depends on where one is coming from, not having moved much before, or having unreasonable expectations. I know I may have a different opinion after I've lived there, but I'm sure I've lived in worse places-like where I'm at now. I will say that most of the people were very friendly and I like that they are from all over.

Another thing I'd like to share: for anyone coming to the area, please don't stay away from Fort Myers. When we were driving around, there were nice and not so nice areas in both Fort Myers and Cape Coral as in any town. For me being newly single at this time, I think it may be better for me to be in Fort Myers where there are more things at my fingertips. However, in the future I may like Cape Coral.

Bottom line is: you know what you like more than anyone else. Everyone has preferences and opinions. Take the information from this board to assist YOU in making the best decision for you and/or your family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 09:05 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,089,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreemcatcher View Post
Well, I came to the area last weekend for house hunting and to look around. I know it was just a first impression, but I was really pleased with what I found. After reading some of the posts on here, I was thinking maybe it would be very disappointing. Quite the contrary. Maybe it depends on where one is coming from, not having moved much before, or having unreasonable expectations. I know I may have a different opinion after I've lived there, but I'm sure I've lived in worse places-like where I'm at now. I will say that most of the people were very friendly and I like that they are from all over.

Another thing I'd like to share: for anyone coming to the area, please don't stay away from Fort Myers. When we were driving around, there were nice and not so nice areas in both Fort Myers and Cape Coral as in any town. For me being newly single at this time, I think it may be better for me to be in Fort Myers where there are more things at my fingertips. However, in the future I may like Cape Coral.

Bottom line is: you know what you like more than anyone else. Everyone has preferences and opinions. Take the information from this board to assist YOU in making the best decision for you and/or your family.
your bottom line quote was perfect, I love reading posters first impression (good or bad) on another thread a poster said it rained everyday and there were no trees and wasn't for her, which is just as valuable as someone that likes it there. I think your advice on using the thread to find out info the good the bad the ugly is great. It has helped made me aware of issues like the town utility expansion program and it's assessments, the school choice issue, chinese drywall, how cape coral is divided into the nw,ne,sw,se sections, answered questions about insurance and taxes, gulf access vs fresh water access, all good topics.

Old 06-13-2009, 12:55 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
I like reading honest, first impressions, too. Some people go to a place and hate it and others love it. What I might love, you might hate.

This board is really good for people that have preconceived notions about a place. A lot think "Florida" and picture palm trees and an aquamarine beach where, no matter their problems, the weather will perk them up. A lot think "Tennessee" and think they are going to live on the side of a mountain and no matter what happens, that beautiful scenery will always make them feel better.

Neither is true.

If you can get past the people that have their own ulterior motives, the forum has a lot to offer.

Of course the real test is when you live somewhere, for awhile. I don't think I finally admitted to myself that I really hated Florida for at least a few years.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:28 PM

52 posts, read 139,280 times
I've lived lots of places including Alaska, Spain, Hawaii, and California. Some people just hated the place and counted the days until they could leave. It was like they made a choice to be miserable. I always said there is a bit of paradise in everyplace. Even in Alaska, where it is too cold for me and not much to do for me, the mountains are beautiful and there's little humidity. And California~I thought that was my dream place to live. Coming from the east coast, California seemed like it would be paradise. I was disappointed and it never felt like "home". I remember living in Spain for six months and waking up in a panic because I realized we still had 2 1/2 years left . Then I got a grip and absolutely LOVED it; cried when we left.

So I suppose I am excited to move to Fort Myers, will have a period of adjustment, and then it will be up to me what I make of my experience. And if I really don't like it, it doesn't have to be forever. I can move again. I'm hoping that's not the case, though .

Old 06-13-2009, 10:04 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,525,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreemcatcher View Post
I've lived lots of places including Alaska, Spain, Hawaii, and California. Some people just hated the place and counted the days until they could leave. It was like they made a choice to be miserable. I always said there is a bit of paradise in everyplace. Even in Alaska, where it is too cold for me and not much to do for me, the mountains are beautiful and there's little humidity. And California~I thought that was my dream place to live. Coming from the east coast, California seemed like it would be paradise. I was disappointed and it never felt like "home". I remember living in Spain for six months and waking up in a panic because I realized we still had 2 1/2 years left . Then I got a grip and absolutely LOVED it; cried when we left.

So I suppose I am excited to move to Fort Myers, will have a period of adjustment, and then it will be up to me what I make of my experience. And if I really don't like it, it doesn't have to be forever. I can move again. I'm hoping that's not the case, though .
You have a good attitude about the move and I think you will like it here. FL in general isn't for every one. To me it seems you either love it or hate it.

Yes, it gets hot in the summer but the winters are wonderful. No matter where any one moves to you may like some things and not others. If you choose to look at the positive you will find it. I love it here and have lived in Cape Coral for 16 years now. Lived in FL 26 years. Good luck on your move.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:50 AM

191 posts, read 665,581 times
I like your outlook............I will be comming to florida this week to buy a home..........and start a new chapter in my life. I think this board allows you to get in touch with your feelings buy writing them as you think. I know its not 100percent where I want to be but I have to buy within my means if I want to own and having a pool and fenced in yard for my dog and a bedrm for my 12 yr old son and a new house as opossed to a 45 yr old tiny aptmt in san diego will hopefully make me happy along with all the wildlife and water adventures and seeing cool lightning and maybe living through a hurricaine.....lol.......but it will be a new experience. So I better just jump in and do it. Its now or never for me to buyand I will have a paid off home in a short time.......thats gotta be a good thing......even if it is in Florida.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:08 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimeowner View Post
I like your outlook............I will be comming to florida this week to buy a home..........and start a new chapter in my life. I think this board allows you to get in touch with your feelings buy writing them as you think. I know its not 100percent where I want to be but I have to buy within my means if I want to own and having a pool and fenced in yard for my dog and a bedrm for my 12 yr old son and a new house as opossed to a 45 yr old tiny aptmt in san diego will hopefully make me happy along with all the wildlife and water adventures and seeing cool lightning and maybe living through a hurricaine.....lol.......but it will be a new experience. So I better just jump in and do it. Its now or never for me to buyand I will have a paid off home in a short time.......thats gotta be a good thing......even if it is in Florida.
Sounds like you have a good plan! Do you have a job lined up or are you one of those very fortunate people that can work wherever they go?

Old 11-16-2009, 04:53 PM

4 posts, read 8,371 times
Okay, granted, I am a newby. We just purchased a home the end of July. But...I LOVE IT down here! I came from the Madison Wisconsin area and believe me....wow, you ain't seen nothing until you've seen the bad area's of Milwaukee or Madison! Things are getting so bad there now, people are breaking into homes in the middle of the afternoons when the owners are THERE! This is because the low lifes of our country know Wisconsin is where they can get the most food stamps, rent assistance, low cost housing, welfare, free child care, etc. I am actually confused when I get "warned" about the dangers of Cape Coral.

I have been so incredibly impressed with how nice everyone is! I even get smiled at when I am driving down the road. People in the stores are smiling and chit chatting with everyone. It must be the weather! My parents were down here with me for two weeks and after a visit to a Walmart and out to eat at Mels Diner my parents kept talking about how friendly everyone was! Its not that way in Wisconsin. For most of the year, people are bundled up...scowls on their faces as they battle against the icy winds...or in the summer they are swatting mosquitoes and biting flies.

So...Minnesota person, if you are like me....and are used to grumpy people, high taxes, high crime...then Cape Coral will be like coming to wonderland for you! Nancy

Old 11-16-2009, 05:34 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Sounds like you have a good plan! Do you have a job lined up or are you one of those very fortunate people that can work wherever they go?
This has nothing to do with the thread, but I just noticed that little house next to your name for the first time. Congratulations, Hiknapster!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area