Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 05:58 PM

20 posts, read 222,704 times

Advertisements

Any good and bad things on the Fort Myers area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 08:02 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,905,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kappersack View Post
Any good and bad things on the Fort Myers area?
Go to the search on the top bar of this page and click on it, type in Fort Myers. There will be alot to read.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:23 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,258,704 times
Hi, Kappersack. I'm moving to N. Ft. Myers in a few months. WHere are you moving from and when?

Old 05-30-2007, 09:56 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,296,379 times
I LOVE Fort Myers, I would love to be able to spend more time there. I have even thought about moving over there one day.

ANYTHING to be closer to Sanibel, Captiva and Cayo Costa.

When you get there, go out to Captiva and try the Key Lime Grill, fabulous food.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:06 PM

59 posts, read 285,342 times
I'm sure you will start seeing posts about Ft. Myers being over-run by retirees, there being no jobs, and a sky high crime rate. Well, the median age is 32 (out of season), there are jobs in certain fields, and the crime is high but it is centered in a very bad neighborhood. The area of Ft. Myers that has high crime is the area that is under the Fort Myers Police Department. Most of Ft. Myers is under the Lee County Sheriff's jurisdiction. What kind of career field are you looking to go into?

Old 05-31-2007, 01:41 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLANATIVE1 View Post
I'm sure you will start seeing posts about Ft. Myers being over-run by retirees, there being no jobs, and a sky high crime rate. Well, the median age is 32 (out of season), there are jobs in certain fields, and the crime is high but it is centered in a very bad neighborhood. The area of Ft. Myers that has high crime is the area that is under the Fort Myers Police Department. Most of Ft. Myers is under the Lee County Sheriff's jurisdiction. What kind of career field are you looking to go into?
That information is skewed. Right. Fort Myers' average age is 32. As you have mentioned, the high crime rate is MOSTLY centered in Fort Myers and not Lee County.

Now, here's where it gets interesting. Take LEE COUNTY'S median age and it changes dramatically. Want to know what it is?

Median age of residents in 2005: 43 years old
(Males: 41 years old, Females: 44 years old)

(Median age for: White residents: 49 years old, Black residents: 26 years old, American Indian residents: 36 years old, Asian residents: 30 years old, Hispanic or Latino residents: 27 years old, Other race residents: 26 years old)

So that basic commentary of Fort Myers being young is true. Unfortunately those young numbers are concentrated in areas that are not the best neighborhoods.

Bottom line: Lee County has a lot of retirees.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
That information is skewed. Right. Fort Myers' average age is 32. As you have mentioned, the high crime rate is MOSTLY centered in Fort Myers and not Lee County.

Now, here's where it gets interesting. Take LEE COUNTY'S median age and it changes dramatically. Want to know what it is?

Median age of residents in 2005: 43 years old
(Males: 41 years old, Females: 44 years old)

(Median age for: White residents: 49 years old, Black residents: 26 years old, American Indian residents: 36 years old, Asian residents: 30 years old, Hispanic or Latino residents: 27 years old, Other race residents: 26 years old)

So that basic commentary of Fort Myers being young is true. Unfortunately those young numbers are concentrated in areas that are not the best neighborhoods.

Bottom line: Lee County has a lot of retirees.
Everywhere in Florida (everywhere in the SOuth for that matter) has retirees. People love to rag on Ft. Myers as a haven for retirees and that is simply not the case. The fastest growing sectors of the population are the families and the minorities. The original poster is not going to escape old people by going to Texas. In fact, most struggling developers based in Florida are turning their attention to the Southwest because that is the new hot spot for retirees. If you look at recent trends, Phoenix and Scottsdale, Arizona are the new retiree hot spots. Also, Lee County has no where near the amount of retirees as Sarasota, Manatee, Charlotte, and Collier Counties. As a young person myself, I can assure you that Ft. Myers and Lee County are not as retiree infested as some people make them out to be. Also, on a side note, if the original poster is looking for a more Liberal environment, I would stay FAR away from Texas!

Old 05-31-2007, 02:16 PM

Maybe this is a sign I am getting old but I don't mind being surrounded by older people, they are alot less to take out a gun and try to rob me...

The times I have been in Fort Myers, I enjoyed talking to the elderly that were visiting there to get out of the cold elsewhere in the US.

I do know that down in Naples they are talking of building a Cleveland clinic which is a very top notch medical facility and will open up alot of jobs...there was another really big childrens hospital there as well, I can't remember the name.

Old 05-31-2007, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
Maybe this is a sign I am getting old but I don't mind being surrounded by older people, they are alot less to take out a gun and try to rob me...

The times I have been in Fort Myers, I enjoyed talking to the elderly that were visiting there to get out of the cold elsewhere in the US.

I do know that down in Naples they are talking of building a Cleveland clinic which is a very top notch medical facility and will open up alot of jobs...there was another really big childrens hospital there as well, I can't remember the name.
I agree. Old people aren't bad. Just look at Lee County. The youngest area has all the crime. Lee County has a nice balance. As far as the medical facilities go, Cleveland Clininc is looking to build in Naples. In Ft. Myers, Lee Memorial Health System is building a new hospital at Metro Pkwy. and Daniels that will specialize in pediatrics. That might be the one you are thinking of.

Old 05-31-2007, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLANATIVE1 View Post
I agree. Old people aren't bad. Just look at Lee County. The youngest area has all the crime. Lee County has a nice balance. As far as the medical facilities go, Cleveland Clininc is looking to build in Naples. In Ft. Myers, Lee Memorial Health System is building a new hospital at Metro Pkwy. and Daniels that will specialize in pediatrics. That might be the one you are thinking of.
I'm taking nursing in school so I noticed that when we were over there in January.

When I was watching the news, it was almost funny compared to what we hear over here in the Orlando market...I don't think ONE person the entire time we were there was found dead...thats pretty typical here.

Naples was a little posh but having it next door is likely to keep the tone of the entire area from descending to the level of Daytona Beach...we can only hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area