Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 10:55 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,033,362 times

Advertisements

It's just not me that feels this way. All the people on these threads, The New York Times and me, we are all wrong?

What you told me, all that time ago, was that I was doing it all wrong, and you, TedTAce, were going to take Knoxville by storm because you were so much smarter than I. Sound familiar?

You know enough about Florida to know that what you see on the surface may not be what it appears. You think you are in a nice neighborhood, and you could be lucky and you are, but I doubt it. But what about all the people around your neighborhood? When they want to go rob someone there's a good chance they are coming to visit you or your neighbor.

All the best to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTAce View Post
Oh Hik, you do make speeches.

I (for the record) do NOT hate Knoxville. If it was near my family, Florida, and the beach, I'd live in this apartment for the rest of my days. The people up here are extremely nice, and I feel VERY VERY safe.

The wife has seen the new house(adores it), and we are bothered by the crime stats there, not to mention there is a convicted sex offender a couple blocks over.

The problem is statistically speaking, it's about the same as living in Orlando, or many other Florida cities. But the big deal is that it's as close to Miami without being there and considering the real estate bargain, it's a no brainer for moving back to Fl.

Nope, I do not plan on selling the house ANY time soon. I don't think I'll EVER be able to make a profit on it. That's not the point though. This is my home, this is where I will die of old age if I can help it.

I do have to say Hik is not wrong about many things, but sometimes her opinion influences the difference between what's wrong for her and a lot of people, and what's right for some.

Sure it took me a long time to get an IT job up here, but I did. Sure it didn't last, but it helped me to adapt and choose another career that I deeply love and will be able to use to get a job anywhere (LPN). I will always be thankful to this town for enabling me to take the time out of my life and get a better career. Moving up here for the reasons I wanted to didn't work out. The result however, is that I have made myself a much better person for coming here despite Hik's advice at the time I last asked.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:09 PM

812 posts, read 1,664,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
It's just not me that feels this way. All the people on these threads, The New York Times and me, we are all wrong?

What you told me, all that time ago, was that I was doing it all wrong, and you, TedTAce, were going to take Knoxville by storm because you were so much smarter than I. Sound familiar?

You know enough about Florida to know that what you see on the surface may not be what it appears. You think you are in a nice neighborhood, and you could be lucky and you are, but I doubt it. But what about all the people around your neighborhood? When they want to go rob someone there's a good chance they are coming to visit you or your neighbor.

All the best to you.
I never said I was going to take Knoxville "by storm". I said I was going to be able to come up here and get a job. I did come up here and get a job (actually two in IT), so I was right. Did this place work out the way I intended when I moved up here? Nope, but the reality is it worked a LOT better. If this place had kept me in the IT field, I'd never have the ability to return to Florida, and I would have lived the rest of my life selling what was left of my soul; helping out morons with problems that didn't mean anything to the world at large.

Now I have a chance to make a GENUINE difference in someone's life, AND live in a place near my family and the ocean. If that's me being wrong, I'm happily wrong.

By the way.. the NYT Article is two months old.. now I'm not saying that it's wrong. AT ALL. As a matter of fact a lot of the concerns it raises are still VERY present. But do you know how large Lehigh Acres is? Did you know it's bigger then Knoxville? Let's think about that, there are some great areas in Knoxville, like West Hills, and Fountain city, then there are some crudholes like E. Knox. Would you rule out living in West hills just because E. Knox is crime ridden? I didn't think so or you'd be living in Clinton.. oh wait.

So yeah, I only spent a few days, but if you'd do the same, you'd find what I did. there are neighborhoods that are obviously distressed, and there are neighborhoods that are thriving despite what is happening around them. Considering you haven't even BEEN there in the last few years (at least) it's amazing you are so convinced that moving there is wrong.

LA is NOT perfect, it's below average, but it will meet the needs of myself and my family, just like Knoxville did. I'm not saying YOU should move there, I'm not saying it's a place fore anyone but myself for sure. However, unlike you, I'm not telling people to avoid it when I have not been there; like you do.

Last edited by TedTLPN; 07-13-2009 at 02:36 PM..

Old 08-09-2009, 10:13 AM

1 posts, read 2,461 times
[SIZE=3]The negative tone of this blog is a bit too much for me to let go without comment. I recently purchased a home in Lehigh Acres as a winter retreat (I am quickly growing my snowbird wings). I did a lot of research on several areas in Florida including several visits over the past three years – and yes I looked at crime data, foreclosure rates, blogs, chamber of commerce plans, taxes, insurance rates, etc. I also have relatives who have lived in Naples long before it became popular and expensive. I bought in LA because of affordability and geographic location (warm, high, and dry by Florida standards). Many areas of LA are distressed by the housing crash and poor development planning. However, they will improve once the economy gets going and the northern baby boomers get tired of winter and look south for an ice free place to live. For those looking for a home in the Cape Coral/LA, I recommend looking in to areas with good neighbors – since most of the vandalism problems are in low density areas with no neighborhood watches.[/SIZE]

Old 08-09-2009, 12:20 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,491,367 times
Congrats Bob & Deb, and welcome to the forum.
You have done your research, and made a choice, and you have no one to please but yourselves.

we also did something similar, and despite those who cautioned otherwise, we are pleased with our decision.

Frank

Old 08-09-2009, 03:27 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,033,362 times
Lehigh Acres and where Frank moved to, are very far apart, and not just geographically. His area is well-established. Although I first fretted over his purchase timing, in the end he was right and I was wrong. He's making money renting his place.

Lehigh Acres is a gamble. It very well could be a big winner, though. I'm glad you have good neighbors, Bob and Deb.

In any event, congratulations on your purchase. I sincerely hope you prove me wrong.

I am just going to add that city-data is here for people to get feedback on relocation research.

Our volunteer members are here to help people. Period. We're not here to hurt anyone. I think it is unfortunate that people come on looking for positive feedback and then become upset. That's not what we are here for and we are only offering constructive criticism. There are so many people on here, that spends hours and hours helping.

I, personally, want everyone to be well. I've made so many mistakes in my life and I truly do not want anyone else to do so.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Lehigh Acres and where Frank moved to, are very far apart, and not just geographically. His area is well-established. Although I first fretted over his purchase timing, in the end he was right and I was wrong. He's making money renting his place.

Lehigh Acres is a gamble. It very well could be a big winner, though. I'm glad you have good neighbors, Bob and Deb.

In any event, congratulations on your purchase. I sincerely hope you prove me wrong.

I am just going to add that city-data is here for people to get feedback on relocation research.

Our volunteer members are here to help people. Period. We're not here to hurt anyone. I think it is unfortunate that people come on looking for positive feedback and then become upset. That's not what we are here for and we are only offering constructive criticism. There are so many people on here, that spends hours and hours helping.

I, personally, want everyone to be well. I've made so many mistakes in my life and I truly do not want anyone else to do so.
Very nice sum up of the purpose here. Indeed, most here just want to be helpful. The good book even says to "count the cost" before building or buying a new place, and that there is "wisdom in a multitude of counselors".
Is is nice though to read the experiences of others knowledgeable in the areas one is considering.

Frank.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:13 AM

Posters attacking other posters who have a long history of being helpful on this forum will not be tolerated. Personal attacks are in violation of the Terms of Service all agree to when joining.

This thread is closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area