Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 03:41 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,931,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
Yes I'm am here on vacation, but my life in new england isn't any different, and no I am not a factory worker at this time, No I don't require a lot of sleep ( I can rest as much as I want when I'm dead) . I don't take my kids out bar hopping but my son likes to wack the hell out of a golf ball on the driving range (I'm not into golfing) And although 12084 and I have not agreed on this thread I have read a lot of her posts on SAHM and share a lot of her views on that subject. The reason why I'm on this forum during vacation is because you guys are just so damn interesting I can't help checking out what going on.

I'm doing my best!!!! Mr.Cool
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 03:47 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoolmrcool28 View Post
But like 121804 said, "This is a SW Florida forum" All this discussion has shown it's not just SW Florida schools, it's everywhere in the US! Look at the bright side you could live in South Carolina, Milwaukee, Chicago, Detroit, East St. Louis, Brookyn all horrible school districts!!! If you are a good parent and teach your children well (Crosby Stills & Nash) they will be successful no matter what school they go to. If not, then you will reap what you sow.
But you understand that not all parents are equipped to raise children? And that while it is very easy to say "if you are a good parent" that does not pertain to every parent?

Academic success is one thing. Emotional and social success is another. And taking the risk of sending your child to a subpar school is just that...a risk. For you it paid off; for others, not so. But this is not a perfect world.

Ahh, nkhev, now I know where I've seen those run on sentences before

Old 07-22-2009, 05:09 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,931,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
But you understand that not all parents are equipped to raise children? And that while it is very easy to say "if you are a good parent" that does not pertain to every parent?

Academic success is one thing. Emotional and social success is another. And taking the risk of sending your child to a subpar school is just that...a risk. For you it paid off; for others, not so. But this is not a perfect world.

Yes, you totally correct!! But as I've been saying all along, It's NOT just SW Florida!! It happens all over the United States including Here in Wisconsin! wether it's schools or the job market.
So If I, or anyone else want to buy a waterfront property in Port Charlotte Florida to escape the horror of winter, who are you to tell us how bad it is? you keep saying we all (northerners) do not know what it's like to live there. Thats true! but YOU have no idea what it's like to live up here Nov-April!! Tennesse doesn't count! nither does the East coast!

Old 07-22-2009, 05:23 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
Quote:
Yes, you totally correct!! But as I've been saying all along, It's NOT just SW Florida!! It happens all over the United States including Here in Wisconsin! wether it's schools or the job market.
So If I, or anyone else want to buy a waterfront property in Port Charlotte Florida to escape the horror of winter, who are you to tell us how bad it is? you keep saying we all (northerners) do not know what it's like to live there. Thats true! but YOU have no idea what it's like to live up here Nov-April!! Tennesse doesn't count! nither does the East coast!
Yes I do.
I was born & raised in northern Ohio.
We are currently back to OH from SWFL.
Our furnace broke this winter & it was -24 degrees outside.
We were also in the military & have lived all throughout the country and world.

And it's not everywhere. Many places, yes, but not everywhere. There are several areas of this country, even in FL, with warm weather with more better education systems and not a spiralling out of control economy that is intensified due to the nature of the beast taking place in SWFL.

Warm weather does not trump the education of my children. Why would I choose to send my child to a school system that is beyond lack luster if I can do things in my power not to?

There are issues in SWFL that DO NOT pertain to the rest of the country. And those issues effect the makeup of the area.

Again, I am not saying "Don't move there". What I am saying is that there are problems that effect SWFLoridians that do not effect many others in the country. The sun doesn't take away the problems.

Also, how does Maine, VT, or NH "not count"?

You are retiring. You don't have anything to be worried about. You probably got a home on the cheap and have money saved for a boat & can go about your days at your own leisure when you are down there. And I am sure you worked for it. But that is not the case for everyone. And for those whose life will be no different albeit weather....the best advice is "buyer beware"...

Last edited by 121804; 07-22-2009 at 06:24 PM..

Old 07-22-2009, 05:39 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Yes, there are bad schools all over the country. There also good schools. I choose to do my best as a parent and send her to a good school. It may not work out, but darn it all, I am going to give her the best that I can, which means I am not sending her to Lee County schools.

Why you are so worried about this is beyond me. You are not going down there with kids. Everything will be fine for you because I think you are retiring. You don't have to even find a job.

I have NEVER told someone not to retire to swFlorida. I did, a few years ago, tell them that it was too expensive. Now, it is worth it.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:39 PM

208 posts, read 612,260 times
Quote:
I have to agree with Mr. Cool! (by the way, one hubby is enough, but thanks for the offer! ) I know this is a Florida forum, but every negative in Florida is no different than the negatives up north. Minus the hurricanes, but we have devastating nor'easter in winter. How about being trapped in your home, no electric, no heat or available way to cook with 20-40 inches of snow and layer upon layer of ice. Having to work all day, commute 2 1/2 hrs each way, then shovel out your driveway for the 43rd time...Schools are bad everywhere ( you think SWF has non-english speaking students, the north is no different), job's are scarce, economy is poor, utilities increasing, people losing homes. They are not just SWF issues.

We all have our painful memories of where we live.

I just can't wait to get to Florida. Find a piece of my Dad's paradise and enjoy what time I have let on this planet.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:40 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
Yes I'm am here on vacation, but my life in new england isn't any different, and no I am not a factory worker at this time, No I don't require a lot of sleep ( I can rest as much as I want when I'm dead) . I don't take my kids out bar hopping but my son likes to wack the hell out of a golf ball on the driving range (I'm not into golfing) And although 12084 and I have not agreed on this thread I have read a lot of her posts on SAHM and share a lot of her views on that subject. The reason why I'm on this forum during vacation is because you guys are just so damn interesting I can't help checking out what going on.
Kev! You miss us!

Old 07-22-2009, 06:27 PM

301 posts, read 1,154,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post

From experience working with homeschooled people, I'd have to say that is a HUGE social risk. Most have had no social skills whatsoever and were still tied to the "cord" at 25 yrs of age.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:01 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,091,624 times
I know a lot of members on this forum are people who have lived in the past or plan to live in the future. I went out to dinner tonight with my nextdoor neighbor and his wife and kids and this is their take on Living here. and yesterday I asked the same from the boat captain and his 17 yr old son N for neighbor C for captian
Crime : N not horrible but definitly getting worse C crime is everwhere this place is no different
Schools: N charter school Love it C Cape coral christian academy Loves it
Economy: N Both unemployed , husband about 2 yrs wife yesterday C Things are bad but will get better
Neighbors: N people are very transient no one that lived here when they moved in are still here C very transient My own observations neighbor that was next door had moved out because he lost his job and could no longer afford the $950 per month rent (single guy lived alone)
the couple that took their place seemed ok when I last was here in april since I've been back an ex con had moved in with them (bank robber) had an affair with the wife , husband moved out , brought in 2 pitbulls that get loose a lot and they let garbage pile up outside their house.
2 houses down have chinese drywall and don't know what they are going to do. Next to them someone bought the house , fixed it up , relisted it and it's now under agreement for someone new to move in.. so I would third the suggestion on transient.
Utility expansion: No one I spoke to this week was in favor of it.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:19 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,091,624 times
Default back on subject

You may not be qualified to live in Swfl if you apply 30 spf sunscreen and still sunburn as red as a cooked maine Lobster.... spent about 4 hrs at bowman beach on sanibel Water was beautiful , not as many shells as I usually see there . Put on sunscreen and reapplied every time I came out of the water ( which wasn't often ) my back is torched.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area