Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 10:03 PM

208 posts, read 612,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvelte View Post
From experience working with homeschooled people, I'd have to say that is a HUGE social risk. Most have had no social skills whatsoever and were still tied to the "cord" at 25 yrs of age.
That is a rude and untrue statement. Most homeschooled kids have more social skills then schooled kids.
Sorry, but every homeschooled child I have met, has after graduation attended college and done very well in their lives. And I have been around several hundred of them.
My children are very social. Always were. We do not live in the backwoods with no other children around. They hang out with kids from all walks of life. I have the biggest hangout house. Every child that has been around my children beg their parents to homeschool them. I also have the parents, call me, and ask me, to tell their kids, that not every parent can homeschool. We have sleepovers, parties. Even had a prom that over 150 homeschooled kids in our region came to. They enjoy having weekly school days, in a regular classroom setting, with real teachers and students too.
Most homeschooled children learn how to be social with adults as well as their peers.

Government run schools have been around for a century. look at the mess they are in. Gangs, violence, drugs, sexuality, lack of respect for authority, herding mentality...lets not forget about the lack of education, and all you can say about homeschoolers is they lack social skills???
I bet if you had to work in those conditions with your peers on drugs, in gangs and have promiscuous sex...you would want to change jobs. But then again, I could be wrong...some people enjoy that and think it is social norms.

Damn, I am glad my children never had to learn these things at too young age. I am glad I gave them the time to grow and mature before placing them into the arena you call socialization before they were ready. They are in high-school now and doing very well. Friends often ask why in the world they wanted to try school, sometimes they wonder too...If an issue ever arises and they want to homeschool again, I will. For now, they can graduate early, enter community college at 16 and have a full and active social life.

Last edited by kristin4; 07-22-2009 at 10:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 10:11 PM

208 posts, read 612,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
You may not be qualified to live in Swfl if you apply 30 spf sunscreen and still sunburn as red as a cooked maine Lobster.... spent about 4 hrs at bowman beach on sanibel Water was beautiful , not as many shells as I usually see there . Put on sunscreen and reapplied every time I came out of the water ( which wasn't often ) my back is torched.
put some white vinegar and water on that burn...it will help with the pain. also there are some sprays and lotions to take away the pain.

I am Italian, we usually tan nicely, but I have been on steroids for 2 1/2 years and notice I burn real easy now. I use sunblock all the time.

My husband burns easy and usually gets a bad burn in Florida. He has to wear socks and long pants on the beach after that...It is funny to see him dripping wet, fishing fully clothed.

Just keep yourself covered with a white T-shirt when you go outside. It will really hurt if you don't.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:51 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
Quote:
Schools: N charter school Love it C Cape coral christian academy Loves it
Economy: N Both unemployed , husband about 2 yrs wife yesterday C Things are bad but will get better
The area grew & expanded based on construction.
Those who were directly related to the business worked with something that had to do with the business.
Then the bubble burst...
Strong, professional organizations need to move to the area and bring with it a diversity of employment.
It's never happened.

It grew on something that cannot be relied on for long term. It will take years before it gets better. Right now it relies on services provided to retirees and tourists.

Charter schools? I'm not even going to go down that road.....

The utility expansion in CC? When we were looking to buy there, we were told it would cost us $20,000. That is one of the reasons we started looking a little further north in PG.

The place is not going to become a ghost town b/c there are retirees & tourists. But, to live there & earn an income to support a family...that's just one of the hardest places to do it (unless you are in the healthcare field which flourishes there b/c of the retirees).

jvelte- once your child starts preschool or gets close to that age, you will be amazed at what you see, both negative & positive. While there is a stigma that gets attached & to some extent could be true for some homeschoolers, to willingly put your child in certain school environments...I just can't. And like Hiknapster, I SAW what my child would be entering if he went to school in SWFL & I told my dh "No way is he going to school down here." We now live in an area with very, very strong public & private schools as well as a very large (500 children) homeschooling network. Much of the socialization depends on the family unit and their beliefs, etc. While I have seen a few strange things (at the library there is a homeschooling family who do not allow their children to interact with other children due to their belief that Satan is in everyone until you join & convert to their religion......), I have a good friend who has homeschooled for several years & her children are awesome. A lot depends on the parents & their nature.

nhkev- Bowman Beach is where we went every weekend. The one & only positive I have from living there. My son loved it. My dh left every weekend looking like a lobster.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:14 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
neighbor that was next door had moved out because he lost his job and could no longer afford the $950 per month rent (single guy lived alone)
the couple that took their place seemed ok when I last was here in april since I've been back an ex con had moved in with them (bank robber) had an affair with the wife , husband moved out , brought in 2 pitbulls that get loose a lot and they let garbage pile up outside their house.
2 houses down have chinese drywall and don't know what they are going to do. Next to them someone bought the house , fixed it up , relisted it and it's now under agreement for someone new to move in.. so I would third the suggestion on transient.
This was one of the worst things about the area, the transiency. You never knew who was going to live next to you and being in a gated or exclusive area was not a buffer.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:35 AM

6 posts, read 18,493 times
You just might NOT be qualified to live in SW Florida IF.....

If you don't like making u-turns to get to your street.
If you like fast service when buying anything.
If you want fast service when you need someone to come to your house and do a repair.(who would think that would happen much with no work)
If you can't stand bugs.
If you like to sit on your front porch and talk with neighbors.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:26 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
Or...

If you don't like your city planting cops all over to pull over every available car for anything just to recoup money because they are going towards bankruptcy.
If you don't like your city upping your water rates to pay for thier mistakes, or crap they don't want to pay for themselves.
If you don't like code enforcement looking for any single little thing to ticket you for.
If you don't like the neighbors or the abandoned home next to you's grass 3 feet high. Making your house look like doo doo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trubclub View Post
You just might NOT be qualified to live in SW Florida IF.....

If you don't like making u-turns to get to your street.
If you like fast service when buying anything.
If you want fast service when you need someone to come to your house and do a repair.(who would think that would happen much with no work)
If you can't stand bugs.
If you like to sit on your front porch and talk with neighbors.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:46 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,091,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
Or...

If you don't like your city planting cops all over to pull over every available car for anything just to recoup money because they are going towards bankruptcy.
If you don't like your city upping your water rates to pay for thier mistakes, or crap they don't want to pay for themselves.
If you don't like code enforcement looking for any single little thing to ticket you for.
If you don't like the neighbors or the abandoned home next to you's grass 3 feet high. Making your house look like doo doo.

maybe you should call code enforcement on the 3 foot high grass

Old 07-26-2009, 07:34 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,729,420 times
Quote:
Be careful........
Once you get code enforcement into the neighborhood, they'll be writing up everyone for everything they can find........

You just might NOT be qualified to live in SW Florida if.......

You arent familiar with over the top/militant code enforcement....

Old 07-27-2009, 04:58 AM

Quote:
I didn't have to, they sent in a crew to cut it... It is one of the 4 on my street that are abandoned.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
Be careful........
Once you get code enforcement into the neighborhood, they'll be writing up everyone for everything they can find........

You just might NOT be qualified to live in SW Florida if.......

You arent familiar with over the top/militant code enforcement....
Don't have to call them, the gestapo drives up and down the streets around here DAILY.... I have nothing to worry about, I make sure there is nothing to get me on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area