Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 07:31 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,534,532 times

Advertisements

Life is too short to get upset about anything one reads on a computer screen.

Sometimes I wish I could put everyone on our forums in one big room and see how the conversation changes. I think it would be more civil and folks would understand each other better, because of being able to see and hear the other's intent, rather then just seeing words.

This whole moving to Florida thing is complex.

1) Folks who have been there awhile have seen too many newbies move there without jobs, etc, thinking Mickey Mouse would meet them and let them live in a Disney-like world. Bottom line is that one should have their needs taken care of before moving anywhere, weather it be NY or Florida.

2) Old time Floridians who miss the Florida of 30 years ago, and blame all others for changing the "good old days".

3) Northerners who move down there and then wish Florida was just like where they came from and want to make it another NY. (Yes, I'm a life-long NY'er, but I'm miles from NYC, more in the country, and DO NOT want my new place in Florida to be anything like NY....if I did i'd just stay here!)

I could go on and on.....

Bottom line....each situation is different. I empathize with the many folks who currently live there and are hurting from unemployment, mortgages they cannot meet, poor pay, neighborhoods crumbling around them from foreclosures, etc.

I also see many, many folks, (just visit The Villages) who have worked hard all their life, have a good pension, invested wisely and now can easily move down to a 55+ community and enjoy the fruits of their wise choices in a climate where they no longer have to worry about slipping on ice, being crippled by cold weather, etc, etc. That is my future in 695 days and I can't wait.

OK, I'm done.....back to the subject of unemployment.

Frank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 09:34 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,534,532 times
I guess I'll add that at 51 years of age, I'm learning that more folks in the end regret what they did not do then what they did do in life.

Everyone is different. For me, it was the right decision as I see it now. only the future knows for sure. The folks here that are suggesting caution are giving good advice based on many sad situations they have seen.

Bottom line again......be wise and count the cost before doing anything big in life. I did that before getting married 30 years ago, having kids, buying houses, designing and building my own house, buying cars, computers, almost everything.....

The net result of that has been very few regrets.

Frank

Old 10-31-2009, 11:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,375 times
Lee County, Florida really sucks I hate it here . yeah there is sunshine all year but people forget to mention how hot it is all year unbearable most of the summer here ....People who don't live here in this part of Florida have no idea how bad it is here ...I have seen some many people i know go from having a good life to losing everything this place is a ****hole and only getting worse .My husband and I are making our escape from here by dec 09 I can't wait .We are moving to knoxville,TN...To any one thinking of moving here DON'T DO IT you will regret it....I just wanted to share how I feel after reading these post !

Old 10-31-2009, 11:45 AM

107 posts, read 180,704 times
BOO! FREAK'N BOO! Happy Halloween and chill the hell out people!

Old 11-03-2009, 07:01 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movetoflorida View Post
BOO! FREAK'N BOO! Happy Halloween and chill the hell out people!

LOL! Hey movetoflorida,
How are things going? Give me an update as to when you're coming down again. My brother moved down from WNY to the Cape Coral area, not too far from Pine Island. He loves it here too. He's getting ready to put a swimming pool in, and has just totally remodeled his kitchen.

We've been out fishing a few times, and on Friday there is a class at Ft Myers Beach to learn how to throw a cast net. I've done it a few times, and am getting better at it. But, I still need all the practice I can get! LOL When you watch the videos, and see some people that know how to do it. They make it look easy - that's what I'm waiting for.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:06 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,091,114 times
just went fishing on tuesday in charlotte harbor/ matlacha pass. caught mostly lady fish (about 50 of them) , but caught some very nice mackeral that made a feast of a dinner. Caught my first shark, I think it was a lemon shark ,but not sure.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:25 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,930,923 times
Hey guys, that sounds like a lot on fun! can't wait to get there and do it myself. Mr cool

Old 11-05-2009, 11:12 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
just went fishing on tuesday in charlotte harbor/ matlacha pass. caught mostly lady fish (about 50 of them) , but caught some very nice mackeral that made a feast of a dinner. Caught my first shark, I think it was a lemon shark ,but not sure.
Congrats!!

SWEET! I went out yesterday in my Kayak, in the canal near Ponce De Leon Inlet in PGI and caught a couple small redfish, and a 30"+ Snook, which I prepared for dinner! It was really good.

Friday, my brother and I are going to Ft. Myers Beach and learn to throw a cast net. I have two, but can use the practice, and my brother has never thrown one so it will be fun for him. After that we may do some more kayak fishing.

I've caught lots of Mackrel - they are very good eating! I bet Lady fish would be a good fried snack food, but probably more work than I'd like to mess with. I caught a bonnet head shark, but would like to catch a lemon or one of the other many species that are out there!

Old 11-05-2009, 02:56 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,930,923 times
Hey BH. do you fish in your canal outside your house? what kind of fish are in the canals? Last time down I saw a bunch of people fishing the canals in Port Charlotte

Old 11-05-2009, 04:14 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,091,114 times
I fish the canal on my property and catch mangrove snappers. Never kept one but 10" up are keepers and I hear they're decent to eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area