Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 09:34 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelala View Post
Thanks for all the info! Ugh, I hate and am petrified of snakes. But I have to say the only time I have seen one in the past couple years is when one was crossing the road and we almost ran it over. That's as close as I want to come to one. We do have about a 3 foot long green iguana in our backyard. I have seen it about 4 times just sitting there. Once I went out the back door unaware that it was there and it took off running and startled me. It seems harmless but I don't go around poking or messing with it. I don't understand why some people as soon as they see an alligator, snake, turtle or some other critter why they have to go poking and antagonizing it.
I still hate snakes, too. After a few years, you start to just get use to it and it doesn't bother you as much. You're the non-antagonizing type so the critters will love you, but not in a hang-around-you way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 10:47 AM

1 posts, read 696 times
Default Hi Angelala

You've been kayaking at matlacha? Have you gone into the channels? We would like to find the geocaches there, but as it is our first time in Florida, we really don't know anything about gators... (and might be a littel bit afraid)

Old 01-11-2016, 01:24 PM

1,584 posts, read 1,972,433 times
A wise person once said, "in Florida, assume there are gators in any water over ankle deep." Gators will kill adults...so don't swim in ponds and streams. See link:

Alleged Florida burglar eaten by alligator while hiding from police | WTVR.com

Old 01-11-2016, 06:07 PM

297 posts, read 509,123 times
Kayaking on the NW Spreader and the area around Matlacha, I would be more worried about recreational boaters than Gators. Their is a Kayak launch area at the park Sirenia Vista on the spreader canal, and a large rental operation for Kayaks in Matlacha. Lots of Kayaks and Stand up paddle boards. What most fail to realize is that the water is very shallow, the channel that the larger boats have to run in is narrow, lots of water just not very deep. Their is only one way in and one way out of the spreader. For a Kayak plenty deep....for a 25 foot center console boat you have to run in the channel or you will hit bottom. Have gotten several concerned looks from folks, until I explain, the channel is only 30 feet wide in some areas. Not trying to scare you by running so close, but we all have to share the water.

Old 01-13-2016, 03:31 PM

195 posts, read 271,736 times
Kayaking is very big in Southwest Florida. There are canals, rivers, bays and the Gulf to use for water adventure.
One great resource is the Great Calusa Blueway Paddling trail. It is a 190 mile marked trail.
They have maps, put in spots and descriptions of great places to visit.
I suggest you go visit their web page to learn more.
Calusa Blueway Home - Fort Myers & Sanibel

Old 01-14-2016, 06:11 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,892,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kroeran View Post
don't head into mangroves without a gps and cellphone

Yeah, I agree. Even a gps would not help you find a way out through the maze of mangroves but at least it may help people locate your body.

We kayaked through the mangroves at Tarpon Bay on Sanibel and it was wonderful. The trail was very well marked but kind of narrow in places so it probably would not be as much fun if it were crowded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area