U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 07:20 AM

22,564 posts, read 48,799,698 times

Advertisements

One more sign of the times:

"Burglars bypassed the electric meter so that they could have air conditioning and lights while partying in a vacant Cape Coral apartment they broke into.

The case is indicative of an increasing problem faced by utilities from people who tamper with meters to get free electricity, said Kathleen Taylor, a spokeswoman for Lee County Electric Cooperative. The company has almost 200,000 customers in Lee and Collier counties, including Cape Coral.

Beginning in 2008, cases of meter tampering increased from fewer than 100 a month to more than 100 a month, Taylor said. That amounts to about 1,900 cases through July. The increase in cases of meter tampering may be caused, in part, by the recession, and other factors, Taylor said.

So far this year, LCEC has billed account holders for more than $85,000 in stolen electricity."

Theft of electricity surges in SW Florida | news-press.com | The News-Press
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 07:53 AM

5,728 posts, read 6,568,389 times
Anything that isnt nailed down, or properly secured will become a target for the local "discounters". Food, fuel, and necessary services will become the primary targets as things get worse. But that's true everywhere. SW Florida just happens to be on the leading edge of the debacle.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:12 AM

2,333 posts, read 4,378,816 times
The funny thing is there was another member that said their electric bill was $900 a month and my first reaction was I wonder if someone is somehow tapping into his electricity. Even up here we have been seeing a huge increase in armed robberies, but the biggest theft item seems to be firewood.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
The funny thing is there was another member that said their electric bill was $900 a month and my first reaction was I wonder if someone is somehow tapping into his electricity. Even up here we have been seeing a huge increase in armed robberies, but the biggest theft item seems to be firewood.
My firewood sits untouched. We're not seeing desperation up here. Then again, my electric bill runs about $220 in the winter and $80 in the summer and I really, really run my electric!

Last time I looked NH's unemployment rate was pretty good. It's running 6.9 to 5.7. Why would you have a "huge increase in armed robberies" in New Hampshire?

Old 08-19-2009, 08:31 AM

2,333 posts, read 4,378,816 times
Not to open a huge can of worms but what the heck. Massachusetts changed a lot of their welfare laws and a lot of people from lawrence and lowell that were say "undesirable" moved in and most of the robberies are most likely drug related as opposed to trying to feed the family.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
Not to open a huge can of worms but what the heck. Massachusetts changed a lot of their welfare laws and a lot of people from lawrence and lowell that were say "undesirable" moved in and most of the robberies are most likely drug related as opposed to trying to feed the family.
You might want to try that again.

If you want welfare, food stamps, housing benefits, government benefits, you are much better off than Massachusetts. Maine and Vermont are even better than that. They are the top three on the list.

New Hampshire is 26th. Not bad, considering their unemployment rate is so low.

On the other side of the coin, Florida is 48th in government benefits. That sounds pretty-gosh-darn-dandy on the surface. Combine it with 13 percent unemployment and record number foreclosures and that is a very nasty combination, though.

Makes a snowbird not want to go back north, come summer. Might not have a recognizable Florida house to go back to.

Variations in Government Aid Across the Nation - Interactive Graphic - NYTimes.com

Old 08-21-2009, 06:29 AM

340 posts, read 920,038 times
The Looney Liberal states up NORTH (and California) reward lazy Welfare recipients, as does the Current admin. in office. '
You want to live in a "right to work" state, where the attitude is: you want to live here? Get a Job and work hard and you can join the group. No free Lunches"

Old 08-21-2009, 07:40 AM

107 posts, read 163,600 times
Seems folks down there might be desperate for more than just electricity. They are breaking into vending machines for food: Alva park concession stand hit by thieves | news-press.com | The News-Press and Boy Scout trailers for camping gear: Scouts going camping without stolen trailer -- OrlandoSentinel.com

No job, house, welfare or food stamps, recon that is what is next. I'm guessing that volunteering at the local food bank or shelter would be a good service to the community.

Last edited by movetoflorida; 08-21-2009 at 07:55 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-22-2009, 07:06 AM

208 posts, read 553,490 times
We just purchased a home that had electricity tampering. The person dug underground, by the meter, ran another line, bypassing the meter and stole the electricity.
Of course he was caught, but what a mess. The meter was taken off. We have to hire an electrician to come in and fix the conduit and other issues, so the power company can run a new line from the pole. Then after an inspection by Collier County, LCEC will put the meter back in and turn the power on.
We knew about all this when purchasing the home, we just hope that it doesn't take long, to get each party to finish the job. We do not like having a home, without power, in south Florida, in this humidity. no mold yet, but I am sure it won't take long.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:20 AM

340 posts, read 920,038 times
What part of Collier county are you in ?

Most of us have FPL ( FLorida Power and Light) for our power
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area