Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 02:25 AM

198 posts, read 482,838 times

Advertisements

Hello folks,
I tell you, this board is really great, so many opinions on just about every subject imagined in the SW FL area, I've sure learned quite a bit.
OK, my question is that I am looking for suggestions for a native or SW FL tolerant type of privacy shrub/hedge to boarder our back yard.
I would like to keep it about 6' high with a depth of about 4'. I realize that pruning is a factor with all hedges.
The hedge can be flowering or just the plain leaves. Also, it should not require a lot of water.
As stated in other threads, Cape Coral, especially the north really lacks trees and shrubs.
The house we purchased had only two cheap trees in the rear of the property and one was dead. We added a couple of coconut, a few other species of palms, and citrus trees. That alone added a lot of eye appeal to the property.
We feel that some type of shrub/hedge will define the rear of the property and make it much more appealing .
Thank you all for any suggestions.
Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 06:58 AM

340 posts, read 1,047,135 times
Ficus bushes /hedges work great,
plant them about 1.5 to 2 feet apart from each other and keep them trimmed at the same height

Old 08-28-2009, 10:23 AM

376 posts, read 1,810,474 times
ficus does make a lovely hedge, but you should know there is some new type of beetle here in SW florida that is attacking ficus and there is known remedy at this time. It is in collier county now, don't know if has spread to lee county. Will also require much trimming on a regular basis.

I've seen acacia palms used along property lines to form a hedge. They will eventually fill in and form quite a dense planting. Pretty low maintenance once they are established.

It would be helpful to know how much time and effort you are willing to put in to maintaining the property.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:49 AM

"It would be helpful to know how much time and effort you are willing to put in to maintaining the property."

Unfortunately, very little for the next five years due not being retired as of yet.
Our thought is to plant some type of hedge now and it will have matured somewhat by the time we are retired there.
In the mean time we would have our landscape service maintain the hedge until we can take over.
Also, we would not want anything that has an invasive root system.
Thanks again.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:44 AM

917 posts, read 2,617,535 times
When we lived in the Cape, the six foot tall fence on the lot line between our back yard and the rear neighbor just wasn't tall enough due to our elevated lots. I planted oleanders and had privacy and beautiful flowers in two seasons. Had problems with caterpillars though. Had to spray.

I found that Shefflara plants would grow like crazy with little work on my part. I have them here in Punta Gorda now along with Podocarpus, Ficus, and Varigated Hibiscus. They were all one or two gallon sized plants planted around the same time four years ago.

I'm trying to keep the Ficus at five feet. It's definitely requires the most work, even though the Shefflara filled in the fastest. I keeped it far away from any driveway or pools due to the roots.

The Podocarpus is the nicest looking, but is growing the slowest and I lost a couple of plants. None of this was fertilized or irrigated after the first two years.

You can see a mature acacia palm in the forground of my Ficus photo. I recently thinned it out to give the Ficus more light. They make a great screen but you have to pull out dead material occasionally.

http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt186/tommy-105/Ficus.jpg (broken link)

http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt186/tommy-105/Podocarpus.jpg (broken link)

http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt186/tommy-105/Schefflera.jpg (broken link)

http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt186/tommy-105/VariegatedHibicuse.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-28-2009, 11:52 AM

I'm no expert, but after seeing your last post, my vote would be for acacia palms. It wouldn't be a "hedge", but I'm pretty sure you could plant them and forget about them.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:44 PM

Tommy,
Thanks for your input. Distance from our fruit trees is also a concern. It looks like the distance from the hedge/shrub will be about the same as yours in your second photo. Attached is a photo of the rear of our place.
We are also considering a 6' privacy fence and someday way down the line a pool.
The Variegated Hibiscus looks interesting.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Shrub/Hedge Suggestion-fl-april-087.jpg   Shrub/Hedge Suggestion-fl-april-080.jpg  

Old 08-28-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellsme View Post
Tommy,
Thanks for your input. Distance from our fruit trees is also a concern. It looks like the distance from the hedge/shrub will be about the same as yours in your second photo. Attached is a photo of the rear of our place.
We are also considering a 6' privacy fence and someday way down the line a pool.
The Variegated Hibiscus looks interesting.
Thanks
The Variegated Hibiscus gets hot pink flowers. I just trimmed it a few days ago and cut off a lot of buds. I don't know if you're gonna get the height your looking for out of it. Hibiscus can also get woody.

Last edited by tommy-105; 08-28-2009 at 03:21 PM..

Old 05-02-2014, 03:25 PM

2 posts, read 10,218 times
Ficus is actually a tree used as a hedge and it has a root system that is very destructive to any structure. It can uproot concrete. It is water seeking as well so be aware before planting ficus especially if you have a pool. If you have a latex allergy the ficus is related to the rubber (latex) tree and don't be handling it.

Old 05-02-2014, 03:38 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,342,229 times
I used pitch apples for a hedge and they worked great. They grew fast and are easily trained to grow wide and high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area