Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 09:42 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,730,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Wing View Post
When they measure unemployment, it is just those that are collecting benefits? If not, how do they really know who is out of work?

Two sets of numbers that are usually reported.....

U3 accounts for those that are receiving unemployment benefits, and is the number typically reported as it is a lower number. Looks better for gubmint propaganda purposes.

U6 accounts for those receiving benefits, those that are NO LONGER receiving benefits, and those that have simply stopped looking, or are "under" employed(working less than 30 hours per week). So is a more realistic view of what the REAL numbers are. The U6 is at 16% nationwide right now, and I suspect it would be much higher than the 13.2% in Lee county as well. Although I honestly do not know what set of numbers Hiknapster's source is reporting.

Here's a good article from Aug 31, '09

Fed Official Admits 16% Unemployment (http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/economy/sectors-mainmenu-46/1784 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 11:22 PM

64 posts, read 79,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post

U3 accounts for those that are receiving unemployment benefits, and is the number typically reported as it is a lower number. Looks better for gubmint propaganda purposes.

U6 accounts for those receiving benefits, those that are NO LONGER receiving benefits, and those that have simply stopped looking, or are "under" employed(working less than 30 hours per week). So is a more realistic view of what the REAL numbers are. The U6 is at 16% nationwide right now, and I suspect it would be much higher than the 13.2% in Lee county as well. Although I honestly do not know what set of numbers Hiknapster's source is reporting.

Fed Official Admits 16% Unemployment (http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/economy/sectors-mainmenu-46/1784 - broken link)
Super!

Old 09-02-2009, 02:13 AM

917 posts, read 2,616,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suunmi View Post
Unofficial unemployment rate is much higher, especially in a place like Cape Coral, where housing was and is the main source of income.
When I worked at the cabinet shop in the Cape back in 1999 -2002, we pretty much built two kitchens a day. Working half days on Saturday was mandatory. They all went into new homes in the area. Our little shop was just one of several. I never really gave much thought to the volume we were doing before.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:20 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,774,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobums View Post
ChrisA70 ~ am luving your spelling of 'hallelujah'!! It says so much!! You are truly jubilant... good for you!
Thank you so much for your wonderful correction of my spelling, and so polite at that. I will fix that just for you. So sorry... Good thing you are here to bring these things to my attention.

Last edited by ChrisA70; 09-02-2009 at 05:35 AM..

Old 09-02-2009, 05:27 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Correct, y'all. That's why I wrote at the beginning of my post that the adage is that at 10 percent there are little to no jobs. It is an indicator and nothing more.

In Knoxville, we have 9 percent. That means that when I pick up the Sunday paper there are hardly any jobs in it. Less than three pages.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:34 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,774,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Correct, y'all. That's why I wrote at the beginning of my post that the adage is that at 10 percent there are little to no jobs. It is an indicator and nothing more.

In Knoxville, we have 9 percent. That means that when I pick up the Sunday paper there are hardly any jobs in it. Less than three pages.
You should see the 4"x6" job section in the News-Press.... 3-4 years ago it was 1-2 WHOLE pages and then some on the Sunday paper. Sad, very sad.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:15 AM

376 posts, read 911,027 times
Chris... I really liked the other spelling. Sorry if my post came across nit picky.

Funny how some locals here are now saying 'if the season comes' ~ not 'when the season comes'.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:39 AM

320 posts, read 1,130,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post

Yeah, the reason I ask is because I moved to Fort Myers in April from NJ and have never received benefits anywhere. I just recently started doing per diem work, but I'm still looking for a full time gig. Just wondering if someone like me would be in those numbers.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:52 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
What/where the main employers before the boom?

Is SWFL just returning to how it was prior to the boom & over time (a LONG time) eventually just level out?

We have a family friend who lived in CC in the 80s & according to her, the place was struggling even then....

Old 09-02-2009, 06:54 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Wing View Post
Yeah, the reason I ask is because I moved to Fort Myers in April from NJ and have never received benefits anywhere. I just recently started doing per diem work, but I'm still looking for a full time gig. Just wondering if someone like me would be in those numbers.
I'm sure you are the norm for many cities throughout the country...so those numbers are very subjective & probably much higher in reality...and just an "indication" of just how tough things are & have been in SWFL for a few years now...and there is no end in sight for SWFL....that's unfortunate for many who need to work want to find work to stay, but it looks like to be able to do that one is going to have to be very flexible and imaginative.

I will say that when I go grocery shopping, the average age of the cashiers are not 16, 17, or 18...but well into their 50s and 60s...you do what you have to do to survive sometimes! And I don't really feel "bad" for those in my age category (30s) b/c we are young & have time to readjust...it those who are in their senior years, lost tons of money in the stock market, and now have to fight to find a min wage job standing at a register....I can only imagine the situation now in SWFL...it was bad when we left and it's gotten just that much worse....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area