Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 04:47 PM

515 posts, read 1,586,707 times

Advertisements

yo JB, I found a book at the local gun store today,Florida Firearms -- Law, Use & Ownership BOOK FOR SALE by Author JON H. GUTMACHER, Esq.

that has conflicting reports with the official AG pamphlet.

The NRA instructor mentioned the 3 step thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 06:40 PM

515 posts, read 1,586,707 times
The author is a Florida lawyer who defends florida gun owners in cases against them brought on by officials, police, sheriffs, etc... who do not know what the actual laws are. So it looks like if your a gun owner with or without a CCW permit you better keep this lawyers # handy cause you still can be arrested and then gotta convince the law makers and enforcers that you were illegally arrested. This book says that you can legally have your gun on your passenger seat as long as it is in a snapped holster. That is in direct conflict with what the Florida AG pamphlet states. ??????

Old 10-08-2009, 06:58 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,711,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjstrain View Post
This book says that you can legally have your gun on your passenger seat as long as it is in a snapped holster. That is in direct conflict with what the Florida AG pamphlet states. ??????
That is my understanding. Your gun can be anywhere in the vehicle, as long as it is in a "container". Generally a "container" is construed as a holster, or a box, or simply placed within a glove box, or console. Under a towel on the seat, not so much.....

As a permit holder, I just keep mine holstered, or in my pocket, dont have to worry about anybody misinterpreting any laws that way.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:32 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,847,581 times
< on the long list for a ccw, since the turn around has gone from 90 days to 9 months

Old 10-09-2009, 11:50 AM

159 posts, read 460,154 times
As someone who is getting ready to move to that area, I find it very disheartening to hear about so many people carrying guns and weapons around with them. I understand there is crime but I am more scared to run across some hot head with a weapon on them who may get p__ssed off and shoot me. I hope my kids never encounter some of you because I would definately take the law into my own hands if one of them got shot because of all the weapon hungry people on this forum. Maybe you are trying to keep people from moving to "your town".

Old 10-09-2009, 12:02 PM

Rainbow... CCW holders in general are MUCH more level headed than your average crack dealing scumbag. They also carry their weapons legally and if you brandish a weapon for the intent solely of intimidating someone, you can lose your license. Nobody here is "weapon hungry" and that is a completely asinine statement. You don't believe in the constitution that this country was founded upon? I think it's time you did some serious reflecting before moving to the United States of America then. If you already live here, get ready for a dose of reality. Neither you, nor your kids have anything to fear from a law-abiding citizen, unless they are breaking the law. People own guns legally to protect themselves, and the people they care about, not to go around shooting random people. You have to worry about thugs with baseball bats a lot more than you need to worry about a married, stable man carrying a 9mm or .45acp semi-auto for his own protection. Your life just may be saved one day by somebody carrying legally and then what will you say? "I never should have moved to YOUR TOWN because you carry a gun"

Legally carrying a gun obligates the person to maintain a higher level of coolness, along with a higher moral standard. We aren't low life's just because we own firearms. Get that part clear.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
Rainbow... CCW holders in general are MUCH more level headed than your average crack dealing scumbag. They also carry their weapons legally and if you brandish a weapon for the intent solely of intimidating someone, you can lose your license. Nobody here is "weapon hungry" and that is a completely asinine statement. You don't believe in the constitution that this country was founded upon? I think it's time you did some serious reflecting before moving to the United States of America then. If you already live here, get ready for a dose of reality. Neither you, nor your kids have anything to fear from a law-abiding citizen, unless they are breaking the law. People own guns legally to protect themselves, and the people they care about, not to go around shooting random people. You have to worry about thugs with baseball bats a lot more than you need to worry about a married, stable man carrying a 9mm or .45acp semi-auto for his own protection. Your life just may be saved one day by somebody carrying legally and then what will you say? "I never should have moved to YOUR TOWN because you carry a gun"

Legally carrying a gun obligates the person to maintain a higher level of coolness, along with a higher moral standard. We aren't low life's just because we own firearms. Get that part clear.
I do live in the United States and I have seen with my own eyes many people who think they are really tough because they carry firearms. I am not talking to you personally because I don't even know you, as well as you don't know me! I was stating an opinion and I thought that was something that we could do in America as well. I hope I am never in the position to have to be "saved" by someone like you. Hopefully I will stay in an area where I don't have to worry about that, as I am also a law abiding citizen. Just because you may conduct yourself in a legal manner with your firearms does not mean everyone who carries a weapon does! Get that straight!!

I can definately tell by your post that you are not a hot head! There are also times when the criminals take the guns away and kill the people with them as well or have you never heard of that? It's actually sad that the world has come to this that people feel like they have to protect theirself but I guess that's the way it is.

Hopefully you won't feel like I deserve to be shot because I put this post on here. I was just stating my feelings as everyone else on here does.
d

Old 10-09-2009, 12:21 PM

I understand your concerns wholly and hope I didn't scare you any farther. The point of the issue is, even in the NICEST neighborhoods, there are criminals. Whether or not they live there, is a different, non-issue. People have every right to protect themselves, and anyone they feel fit to. I hope to NEVER have to draw my weapon, but am prepared to do so, to protect myself or someone else. You should be thankful for people who are WILLING to take that risk.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
I understand your concerns wholly and hope I didn't scare you any farther. The point of the issue is, even in the NICEST neighborhoods, there are criminals. Whether or not they live there, is a different, non-issue. People have every right to protect themselves, and anyone they feel fit to. I hope to NEVER have to draw my weapon, but am prepared to do so, to protect myself or someone else. You should be thankful for people who are WILLING to take that risk.
No I still plan to make my move in a couple of weeks. I know that bad things happen to good people in good places sometimes although it is unfortunate. I guess if someone was hurting my child and I got a hold of a weapon I would use it as well.

I do respect your right to protect yourself and your family and for people who do the right things with their guns I guess that's okay but just like everything else there are people who abuse the system.

Take care and I hope you're never put in the situation that you have to use your weapon.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:28 PM

what part of town are you planning to move to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area